Unity Situation

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Is it really?.
i've been planning on Unity release here in about 3 months from now.. now i'm planing on porting. It's not bout the NOW... it's bout the tommorow's TOS.
I wouldn't trust a company that changes their TOS as they change shirts. Maybe it won't apply to you unless you hit big in the mainstream (Milfy city levels) or they may step back and not do it, but the loss of trust is there.

But again, the NSFW devs shouldn't worry, I don't think we ever reach those levels, unless we go to mobile/F2P territory or steam, and even with steam I have my doubts.

If you have the time/money to delay the launch, do it and port. Otherwise, keep going with Unity.

Angel1984

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2020
I wouldn't trust a company that changes their TOS as they change shirts. Maybe it won't apply to you unless you hit big in the mainstream (Milfy city levels) or they may step back and not do it, but the loss of trust is there.

But again, the NSFW devs shouldn't worry, I don't think we ever reach those levels, unless we go to mobile/F2P territory or steam, and even with steam I have my doubts.

If you have the time/money to delay the launch, do it and port. Otherwise, keep going with Unity.
you know gamedev is all bout the dream.. we all want to make the next big thing. I know i's one in a milion still .. now i kind of need to dread the prospect...

More so if we can retrospectively try to enforce 20 cents .. why not 5$... why not 10?... cmon bro.. it's only 5 or 10 bucks...

• Hey there
Reactions: hu lover

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
you know gamedev is all bout the dream.. we all want to make the next big thing. I know i's one in a milion still .. now i kind of need to dread the prospect...

More so if we can retrospectively try to enforce 20 cents .. why not 5$... why not 10?... cmon bro.. it's only 5 or 10 bucks...
What do you mean by i's? I think you meant to say it's. Game developers want the best for their games.

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019

And don't forget that is per install. How they can tell from pirated copies, or re-installs from the same user? "Just trust me bro, I know. I'm a dev"

Yeah right. I wouldn't do business with companies so obscure like this.

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
i's => typo .. meant to be " it's "
I'm an Unity dev for 9yrs now.. i'm devastated..
I'm a twine dev... but I just read about many Unity devs like you, who were about to launch their games soon, or in 2024. It's terrible to see their situation :(

• Red Heart
Reactions: Angel1984

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
i's => typo .. meant to be " it's "
I'm an Unity dev for 9yrs now.. i'm devastated..
Same. I've been developing stuff with Unity since Unity 5 was a new thing... Dunno if that's 9 years or more/less.
That's why you shouldn't readily give up on Unity, while they're shady, bad, and all of that... It still doesn't affect you directly.
Indirectly? Sure. However, that gives you more than enough time to complete your current project(s) WHILE learning a better alternative (such as Godot). That allows you to leave on your own terms.

Reactions: Angel1984
Sep 1, 2023

It's funny because I was just about to start a game in unity. You're right most adult devs will not hit 200,000 per year profit, but aren't games here free to play? After reading through the unity clause it seems likely both pirated copies and even webGL browser refresh will be charged as a download. So between here and lewdZone, that’s alooot of potential charges.

Of course, this is all a mute point until you hit $200,000/yr profit. And yeah I don't think I'll personally ever hit that. But between Unity potentially changing their TOS again in the future to lower that threshold, and the slim possibility I might one day hit that threshold, starting this project in Unity makes me very nervous right now.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It's funny because I was just about to start a game in unity. You're right most adult devs will not hit 200,000 per year profit, but aren't games here free to play? After reading through the unity clause it seems likely both pirated copies and even webGL browser refresh will be charged as a download. So between here and lewdZone, that’s alooot of potential charges.

Of course, this is all a mute point until you hit $200,000/yr profit. And yeah I don't think I'll personally ever hit that. But between Unity potentially changing their TOS again in the future to lower that threshold, and the slim possibility I might one day hit that threshold, starting this project in Unity makes me very nervous right now.
If you are just starting out, especially with zero experience on Unity, learning Godot instead was a better choice way before this change of policies.

Reactions: LadyBoyJay
Sep 1, 2023
If you are just starting out, especially with zero experience on Unity, learning Godot instead was a better choice way before this change of policies.
I hear ya. Unfortunately I did spend the last yr learning Unity pretty diligently, and got several assets. I'm at a point where I feel pretty competent in Unity and just starting to code the game.

I know 1 yr experience is not as bad as many other Unity devs, and I am still early in the coding process. But still feels bad to drop the project to spend time learning a new engine from scratch. I will say though, Godot's UI is intuitive, and having C# support makes it very enticing.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I hear ya. Unfortunately I did spend the last yr learning Unity pretty diligently, and got several assets. I'm at a point where I feel pretty competent in Unity and just starting to code the game.

I know 1 yr experience is not as bad as many other Unity devs, and I am still early in the coding process. But still feels bad to drop the project to spend time learning a new engine from scratch. I will say though, Godot's UI is intuitive, and having C# support makes it very enticing.
Pretty diligent of you to spend 1 year before making anything, shows that you know what you're doing. Good on you!
In that case, you are partially covered (if you have been mostly learning C#) because Godot .NET also uses C#.
Most assets can easily be ported in Unity as well (except coding ones, unless you manually convert them).

Also, many of the concepts used in Unity are also used in Godot, but with different names.
It is very likely that in 1 year you didn't learn the ins and outs of Unity as that usually takes experience with a project (and many insults thrown at the engine :D) so a good of what you learnt, you can use in Godot.

-edit-
Also, the license allows you to use those assets elsewhere, but not the ones made by Unity itself.

Reactions: Northern_Blade