Unity Situation

Sep 1, 2023
Pretty diligent of you to spend 1 year before making anything, shows that you know what you're doing. Good on you!
In that case, you are partially covered (if you have been mostly learning C#) because Godot .NET also uses C#.
Most assets can easily be ported in Unity as well (except coding ones, unless you manually convert them).

Also, many of the concepts used in Unity are also used in Godot, but with different names.
It is very likely that in 1 year you didn't learn the ins and outs of Unity as that usually takes experience with a project (and many insults thrown at the engine :D) so a good of what you learnt, you can use in Godot.

-edit-
Also, the license allows you to use those assets elsewhere, but not the ones made by Unity itself.
Haha, thanks. I built a few small "test games", but saved starting my main project until I felt I wouldn't be writing spaghetti, non-scalable code. True, I just watched a short Godot introduction tutorial, and things overall felt more familiar than I expected. The idea of nodes wasn't too hard to wrap my brain around.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion Winterfire :)

Reactions: Winterfire

kidlat020

Jul 5, 2017
unreal engine is next. there's some speculation saying what stopped unreal engine from being a "we're a real company now~" was unity. well now that unity is out of the picture...

kidlat020

Jul 5, 2017
hey chatgpt, make snarky remarks with unity assuming they decided to kill themselves with one update

Sure, let's keep the snarky Unity comments rolling like an unstable physics simulation:

1. Unity's new update: where "bleeding edge" meets "bleeding users' patience."
  2. Unity's motto: "Why fix it if it's not broken? But if it is, let's break everything else too!"
  3. They say Unity's updates are like fine wine, but it seems they've started bottling vinegar lately.
  4. Unity's commitment to the bleeding edge: Making sure your projects bleed time, money, and sanity.
  5. Unity's crash reports now come with motivational quotes like, "Failure is just another stepping stone to bankruptcy."
  6. Remember the good old days when Unity was just a game engine and not a test of your anger management skills?
  7. Unity's latest innovation: the Quantum Bug Collider, bringing you new bugs you didn't even know were possible.
  8. Who needs stability when you can experience the thrill of uncertainty every time you hit the play button?
  9. Unity's approach: If it ain't broke, it's time for a mandatory update.
  10. Unity's idea of "bleeding edge" is letting you experience the bleeding edge of despair.

kidlat020

Jul 5, 2017
randomly browsing steam and found this gem. who the F is this? either way I think it's better to ditch Unity now.

1694881099677.png

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
Thank you for telling me. :)
Now I know the differences between them.

The only requirement is that you link back to those license terms somewhere in your game documentation, otherwise you are completely free to do whatever you want. The advantage over Unreal is that UE5 is going to be complete overkill for most people. Of course there's other free engines available too though.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022

The only requirement is that you link back to those license terms somewhere in your game documentation, otherwise you are completely free to do whatever you want. The advantage over Unreal is that UE5 is going to be complete overkill for most people. Of course there's other free engines available too though.
Most up to date games these days will be using Unreal Engine 5. This is a great Engine to use and developers are very wise to consider it.
For example future titles such as Operation Lovecraft and Sims 5 will be using this same Engine.

• Wow
Reactions: BarnMTB

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
Most up to date games these days will be using Unreal Engine 5. This is a great Engine to use and developers are very wise to consider it.
For example future titles such as Operation Lovecraft and Sims 5 will be using this same Engine.
Again, completely overkill for most people here.

Reactions: BarnMTB

GranTurboAutismo

Aug 4, 2019
To close this shitty nothingburger of a topic.

Quoting another site:
Here is how the new version of the pricing model will work:

• Runtime Fee will only apply to developers using Unity Pro or Enterprise plans;
  • All games with less than $1 million in revenue in the past 12 months won’t be subject to fees;
  • Runtime Fee will only apply starting with the next Long Term Support (LTS) release in 2024 — all existing projects made with previous versions of Unity won’t be subject to fees (unless they are upgraded to a new version;
  • Developers of games that are subject to the Runtime Fee will be able to choose either additional fees based on the number of new installs each month or a 2.5% revenue share;
  • Only new engagements (after reaching revenue and install thresholds, and after January 1, 2024) will be counted, so the Runtime Fee won’t be charged for re-installs;
  • All numbers will be self-reported by developers for more transparency, so Unity won’t track installs or any data using its own tools.
In addition, Unity Personal plan will not only be completely exempt from the Runtime Fee, it will also let developers remove the “Made with Unity” splash screen.

To help developers calculate the amount of the Runtime Fee types (revenue share or per-install fees), the company also .

So basically, nothing happens. Devs can continue using Unity, (please dont) and pay basically nothing. I still would not recommend Unreal because it is bloatware extraordinaire.

kidlat020

Jul 5, 2017
^ unless those statements are legally binding and shall not be infringed, all those statements mean nothing.

and I don't trust them one bit. that CEO was responsible for destroying EA and getting all the money he could before jumping ship. this is nothing more than damage control. trying to backtrack what amounts to EA microtransactions after seeing gamedevs not willing to whale the game engine unlike the whaling microtransaction consoomers.

Angel1984

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2020
^ unless those statements are legally binding and shall not be infringed, all those statements mean nothing.

and I don't trust them one bit. that CEO was responsible for destroying EA and getting all the money he could before jumping ship. this is nothing more than damage control. trying to backtrack what amounts to EA microtransactions after seeing gamedevs not willing to whale the game engine unlike the whaling microtransaction consoomers.
Exactly.. im porting my game from Unity to Unreal as we speak . The decision's been made for the sake of my team's future even if not for the sake of the game.