Unity/Unreal games make my GFX card panic

IdleGuy

Aug 7, 2016
Almost any Unity game makes my GFX card heave like a obese asthmatic man running an ultramarathon. Even on the lowest settings.
Only Man of the House escaped this (by setting things on the lowest setting), whereas games like Breeders of the whatever actually crashed my PC by making it overheat within the first two minutes.

Now I know my GFX card/fan needs to be replaced sooner rather than later but is there an option to run these games in "safe" modes?
GFX card is Nvidia 660ti.

cvxcvgg

Dec 30, 2019
A lot of indie games have poor optimization and not many ways to tune the graphics. Combine that with platforms that use up memory like it's going out of style, and you're gonna have a bad time with old cards. I personally use a 1660. It's affordable (about $200 USD) and works pretty well. I recommend you upgrade since games and graphics have come a long way in the last 8 years (when the 660 was released).

Failing that, make sure your case is clean, and make sure you have positive pressure within the case to avoid dust getting in. To do this, you need more air flowing into the case than out of it. Additionally, you may want to invest in more robust cooling solutions.

To answer the question, there really isn't any way to actually fix your problem other than ponying up the cash or looking only for programs that you can set to a low resolution and low graphics, but hopefully my suggestions can point you in the right direction.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
GFX card is Nvidia 660ti.
i was able to run most unreal games (even with a lot of stutter) on my gtx 650. i even ran breeders of the nephelyn without crashes. and that card kept fairly silent. unity games were never a problem. that engine is a lot more gpu efficient than unreal. it has to be on your end as to why your card cries like crazy. time to free ya pc and gpu from dust i would say. i would also suggest checking out your ingame temps by using msi afterburner or other software. a nvidia card shouldn't run hotter than 90 degrees (and that's already pretty high).

IdleGuy

Aug 7, 2016
i was able to run most unreal games (even with a lot of stutter) on my gtx 650. i even ran breeders of the nephelyn without crashes. and that card kept fairly silent. unity games were never a problem. that engine is a lot more gpu efficient than unreal. it has to be on your end as to why your card cries like crazy. time to free ya pc and gpu from dust i would say. i would also suggest checking out your ingame temps by using msi afterburner or other software. a nvidia card shouldn't run hotter than 90 degrees (and that's already pretty high).
I did undust it fairly recently and that did nothing because even after it rested a couple hours I tried booting a game and it immediately went hotter than a spontaneous-combustable house track during mid-July.
Standard Unity games, even on low settings, make the temps shoot to 80°C+. Breeders of the Nefertiti, last I checked, made it a scary 95°C.

I can't find any reasons for it.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
I did undust it fairly recently and that did nothing because even after it rested a couple hours I tried booting a game and it immediately went hotter than a spontaneous-combustable house track during mid-July.
Standard Unity games, even on low settings, make the temps shoot to 80°C+. Breeders of the Nefertiti, last I checked, made it a scary 95°C.

I can't find any reasons for it.
if you are really unlucky you have to open up your gpu and replace the thermal pads aswell as the thermal paste. also, what case do ya have? a shit and / or dusty case is as hazardous for your gpu.