Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
0x52 I found some code that you maybe could adapt or use parts of it for URM's multiple inputs on the same screen? It's for a character name, but it uses "textbutton" instead of "button" like your code does. Hope it helps.
I've already created really nice code for this. I only need to find time to implement it

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
URM v1.7 is affected as well it seems

Ok, here's the weird part. Check out the lines numbers in ch5s29cassiamakeupsex.rpyc (will attach the decompiled .rpy).

Lines 230 and 242. They both had an error when I tried to save.
But after rolling back, both points saved correctly and did not error out.

I saw the "function startReplay" in the traceback so maybe it's because of that?

I'll keep an eye out on the next lewd scene for the replay thing and will try to save after the .rpy started with $ setReplay() but before it has a chance to write into persistent or do $ renpy.end_replay()
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
EDIT: I have attached the decompiled versions of the .rpyc's that I have provided tracebacks for so far in my posts. Maybe it'll help.

EDIT: So I switched back to v1.9.2 and loaded a save which I saved using v.1.7.0. Upon trying to save using v1.9.2, I instantly got an error. Here are the tracebacks from the v1.9.2 errors (.rpy decompiled file attached as well/post updated):
Ok, I did some experimenting. I will attach the save file I am loading, the corresponding decompiled .rpy from the game, and the different scenarios and URM versions while I tried loading the attached save:
No pickles.rpyc, with URM 1.7.0: Loads fine, save was made while using URM 1.7.0 with pickles.rpyc.
With pickles.rpyc, with URM 1.7.0: Same as above.
With pickles.rpyc, with URM 1.9.2: Same as above.

After loading with pickles.rpyc and URM 1.9.2, I still can't save in the exact spot the save was loaded, I get the following traceback error:
Saving in the exact spot with pickles.rpyc and URM 1.7.0 works as intended.

Hope these help somehow. Let me know if there's more I can help you with.
Thanks for gathering all this information.
I've just published 1.9.3 in the bèta channel. You can get it from within URM by switching to the bèta channel or you can manually .

I really hope this resolves the issues. It's hard to fix those strange issues without an easy way to reproduce them. I could reproduce the last one with the save you provided, so that should definitely be solved.

StarCrafted

Jul 13, 2020
Thanks for gathering all this information.
I've just published 1.9.3 in the bèta channel. You can get it from within URM by switching to the bèta channel or you can manually .

I really hope this resolves the issues. It's hard to fix those strange issues without an easy way to reproduce them. I could reproduce the last one with the save you provided, so that should definitely be solved.
Happy to help, and just so you know, you deserve it, because this is some awesome work you did with URM.

I'll reload "To Be A King" using a clean install (no persistent/saves/addons other than URM 1.9.3, pickles.rpyc and unren .rpyc's - dev, quick, rollback, skip) since that one crashed the most, and save like a madman while skipping through the content.

I'll report back if something crashed and burned.

EDIT: Powered through the game saving every now and then, both quicksaves and normal named saves, everything works as intended.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hey 0x52, is it possible to add an option to search for lists or classes?
It supports this since 0.7 (2020-12-30). There's also a showing this.

CCrusader

Nov 29, 2020
It supports this since 0.7 (2020-12-30). There's also a showing this.
Sorry, I should've been more clear. I meant to search for items that are inside a list.
E.g Screenshot_1.png
I can search for "state" but I can't search for "-state.girls" neither "--state.girls[0]".

Last edited:

StarCrafted

Jul 13, 2020
Howdy 0x52 - got a question for ya.
Besides the watchpanel, is there any option or some way of only displaying the current label being played in a game?
If not, is there any non-intrusive way to add that or any plans on it?

Thanks a bunch!

Dgunslinger

Feb 4, 2021
1654999891771.png

I see that this is a Ren'py version error. is there a workaround? I love the mod and refuse to play any gave withour it.. Lol. Never had an issue before. Will recompiling the game using newer Ren'py version work?

URMfollower22

Jun 5, 2022

Darksshades

Feb 7, 2020
I see that this is a Ren'py version error. is there a workaround? I love the mod and refuse to play any gave withour it.. Lol. Never had an issue before. Will recompiling the game using newer Ren'py version work?
I've did this on a few games and it worked without any problems.
You don't need to recompile. It's easier than that.
Download the renpy SDK zip ( )

Remove the game's 'lib' and 'renpy' directory.
Now unpack renpy sdk, and take the 'lib' and 'renpy' directory from there and put inside the game.
Also take the 'renpy.py', 'renpy.exe', 'renpy.sh' and put them there.

You can now start the game with the renpy.exe and URM should work.

If for some reason the game doesn't work, you could try using an earlier version of renpy.
Its rare but there are cases where renpy does some backwards incompatible changes.

Also, in case you want to rename renpy.exe to 'game_name.exe'.... you also need to rename the 'renpy.exe' inside the 'lib/windows' folder as it will try to find an .exe with the same name.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hi 0x52! This morning I read through this whole thread -- yes, I read each and every message! And it again blew my mind how fast and professional you answer all the questions and provide fixes for almost every bug report within a couple of days! You're amazing, and that's why I like URM so much (and that's why you got yourself a new supporter on Patreon)!

But enough with the flattering, I've also got some harsh words to speak to you: ;)

Two years ago, in my very first post on this thread, I asked for a feature to sort "search results / remembered variables etc. by name or value" and you put it on your todo list. And although you introduced sort buttons in v1.3 of URM for (remembered!) variable names, I'm still missing it for search results, and as a bonus for sorting by values! Couldn't this be done, or is there still hope this can be added for search results as well? (Also: those sort buttons -- if they just had arrows pointing up-/downwards this would suffice, it feels weird to see two downwards pointing arrows with those little "AZ" and "ZA" next to it; I would prefer simpler buttons :)).

In my 2nd post on this thread, I talked about sometimes having black screens as a preview of saved labels, and you explained how this could happen (and later in the thread you mentioned another reason that could cause this), and you wanted to put "skip black screens" onto your todo list as well. It's not on your todo list anymore, but you also did not implement it, right? I still get a black screen as a preview under certain conditions. Again, it would be nice to see an option to "edit" the preview image, which maybe will just start a replay of the selected label and you can hit a certain hotkey/button at any point, so URM will save that image as a preview for the selected scene...?!

But other than that -- URM is just perfect! I'm exited to see how URM will further develop, some of those features on your "Roadmap" sound exciting (like freezing values, sharing URM files through your website etc.). Keep up the great work! Much love! :love:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Sorry, I should've been more clear. I meant to search for items that are inside a list.
E.g View attachment 1860066
I can search for "state" but I can't search for "-state.girls" neither "--state.girls[0]".
The dashes and dots are not part of the variable name. I use this in URM to make it more obvious you're looking at a variable inside a variable. So you can not search for them. For example, girls[0] means girls is a list and [0] means you're looking at the first item from that list.
Also see this post.

Howdy 0x52 - got a question for ya.
Besides the watchpanel, is there any option or some way of only displaying the current label being played in a game?
If not, is there any non-intrusive way to add that or any plans on it?

Thanks a bunch!
I've noted it. So it should get added some day :D

Hi 0x52! This morning I read through this whole thread -- yes, I read each and every message! And it again blew my mind how fast and professional you answer all the questions and provide fixes for almost every bug report within a couple of days! You're amazing, and that's why I like URM so much (and that's why you got yourself a new supporter on Patreon)!
Thanks, I appreciate it :giggle:
It takes some effort to keep track of all posts and come with an usable reply. Glad someone noticed :D

Two years ago, in my very first post on this thread, I asked for a feature to sort "search results / remembered variables etc. by name or value" and you put it on your todo list. And although you introduced sort buttons in v1.3 of URM for (remembered!) variable names, I'm still missing it for search results, and as a bonus for sorting by values! Couldn't this be done, or is there still hope this can be added for search results as well? (Also: those sort buttons -- if they just had arrows pointing up-/downwards this would suffice, it feels weird to see two downwards pointing arrows with those little "AZ" and "ZA" next to it; I would prefer simpler buttons :)).
  • I will look into adding this in the search tab. When I introduced sorting (in 1.3) the search had some performance issues and I didn't want to add sorting and make is worse, but I've greatly improved this performance in 1.5. I'm still worried adding sorting there could have a huge performance impact, but I will look into this
  • Sorting by value can be tricky, because they can have different types. I guess the only way it makes sense is by sorting on the value URM displays. That would mean a boolean that's False comes after a string containing Example
  • About the sorting buttons, I agree some simple arrows would suffice, but I also think the current buttons could make more sense for the less tech savvy users

In my 2nd post on this thread, I talked about sometimes having black screens as a preview of saved labels, and you explained how this could happen (and later in the thread you mentioned another reason that could cause this), and you wanted to put "skip black screens" onto your todo list as well. It's not on your todo list anymore, but you also did not implement it, right? I still get a black screen as a preview under certain conditions. Again, it would be nice to see an option to "edit" the preview image, which maybe will just start a replay of the selected label and you can hit a certain hotkey/button at any point, so URM will save that image as a preview for the selected scene...?!
Is was on my list, but I check it off after this post.
But I get what you mean, I think if a label starts with an If-statement URM will still not show an image. I've put something about this on my list again.
(for clearity, the roadmap here is different from my todo list. My URM todo list currently has over 25 tasks still to do)

BTW, this is my 1000th post here. Next milestone, 5000 likes :cool:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Can't rename the Main Character for Midlife Crisis
https://f95zone.to/threads/midlife-crisis-v0-29-nefastus-games.20427/

This error pops up as soon as I click the "rename character" icon. (Mostly, I want to rename "Me" to the actual name of the MC)

I've waited for a few versions of URM and I missed if it's a known issue with this game.
I've look into this and it's because in this game they use the variable t_name for a characters name (Tracy), but this variable has no default value, which makes it crash. There are a couple of options:
  1. Play until t_name is set and then try renaming
  2. Set some value voor t_name through the console
  3. Create a file in the game folder, you can pick whatever filename you want as long as it has the extension .rpy. Add the content: default t_name = "???", start the game

StarCrafted

Jul 13, 2020
Greetings again.

Back with another title and some more tracebacks when trying to save a game, this time with URM 1.9.3, title is The DeLuca Family 0.08.0.2 (latest bugfix patch), using Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266 (again). The highlighted saves from the screenshot are from "saves.rar" and are before the save error occured. Tracebacks below:
I shared this information in the game's Discord as well, but after I removed URM the game seems to be running fine, and the save function does not error out anymore, so I decided to post here as well. I will continue the game without URM and report back if the save function decides to spit out an error again.

URMfollower22

Jun 5, 2022
Create a file in the game folder, you can pick whatever filename you want as long as it has the extension .rpy. Add the content: default t_name = "???", start the game
This worked perfectly. Thank you. It will also likely solve a problem I have with Deadlocked in Time which invokes a variable that doesn't exist (the Dev has yet to respond). Now I know how to create variables!

I really appreciate the time you take to help others.

EDIT = Ok, so it's pretty obvious that I'm pretty incompetent. So what worked for Midlife Crisis didn't work for Deadlocked in Time. As per

https://f95zone.to/threads/deadlocked-in-time-v0-4-neko-hime.72562/page-87#post-8295647

I've tried
-making the variable ch4_claude_futa = False
-addChoice ('ch4_claude_futa', False)
-action addChoice ('ch4_claude_futa', False)
-SetVariable ('ch4_claude_futa', False)

Would you please assist me in finding how to write this (and future paths) so it chooses the top option.

I'm sorry I'm so much trouble.

Last edited:

StarCrafted

Jul 13, 2020
This worked perfectly. Thank you. It will also likely solve a problem I have with Deadlocked in Time which invokes a variable that doesn't exist (the Dev has yet to respond). Now I know how to create variables!

I really appreciate the time you take to help others.

EDIT = Ok, so it's pretty obvious that I'm pretty incompetent. So what worked for Midlife Crisis didn't work for Deadlocked in Time. As per

https://f95zone.to/threads/deadlocked-in-time-v0-4-neko-hime.72562/page-87#post-8295647

I've tried
-making the variable ch4_claude_futa = False
-addChoice ('ch4_claude_futa', False)
-action addChoice ('ch4_claude_futa', False)
-SetVariable ('ch4_claude_futa', False)

Would you please assist me in finding how to write this (and future paths) so it chooses the top option.

I'm sorry I'm so much trouble.
Greetings.

Well, the easiest way would have been to make sure the flag is set when presented with the choice.
There is a choice in scr_ch4.rpy to set the flag to either True or False (during label ch4_claude):
Code:
    menu:
        "Both would be great":
            $ renpy.fix_rollback()

$ addChoice('ch4_claude_futa', True)
            $ incKarma()

"Stay as you are":

$ renpy.fix_rollback()

$ addChoice('ch4_claude_futa', False)
            $ incKarma()
So then the next best thing is to set the flag manually: create a .rpy file that contains the following code and put it in your game folder (this will enable the Developer Menu and Console - you can name it whatever - EDIT: file is attached below (unren-dev.rpy)):
Code:
init 999 python:
  config.developer = True
  config.console = True
Scroll/rollback to before the variable check in your screenshot.
Press Shift+O to open up the Developer Console (Shift+D will open the Developer Menu).
Type in the following and press Enter:
Code:
$ ch4_claude_futa = False
Press Esc to exit the console and continue playing, now passing the check.
You can use this for whatever variable you need declared/modified, be it True, False or a value. Just enable the console with that .rpy file and declare/modify whatever variable you want.
Code:
$ variable_name_here = 69/True/False/etc
Enjoy!

EDIT: I've attached 4 files to this post. Placing them in the "game" directory will do the following: the -dev.rpy enables the Developer Menu (Shift+D) and Console (Shift+O), the -quick.rpy will enable the Quicksave (F5) and Quickload (F9) functions, the -rollback.rpy will enable the Rollback function (scroll the dialogue back using MousewheelUp/PageUp), and the -skip.rpy will enable Skipping dialogue (Using Ctrl/Tab - though not unseen text). I use these files because some RenPy games purposefully disable some of these features (for example Summertime Saga, The DeLuca Family, among other titles).

Have fun!

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Greetings again.

Back with another title and some more tracebacks when trying to save a game, this time with URM 1.9.3, title is The DeLuca Family 0.08.0.2 (latest bugfix patch), using Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266 (again). The highlighted saves from the screenshot are from "saves.rar" and are before the save error occured. Tracebacks below:
I shared this information in the game's Discord as well, but after I removed URM the game seems to be running fine, and the save function does not error out anymore, so I decided to post here as well. I will continue the game without URM and report back if the save function decides to spit out an error again.
This is haunting me. It seems like some of the changes in 1.9.3 didn't have the expected/hoped result.
Strange thing is, I've played The DeLuca Family for a couple of hours with URM 1.9.3 without any issues.

I have one more idea I can think off to try.

StarCrafted

Jul 13, 2020
This is haunting me. It seems like some of the changes in 1.9.3 didn't have the expected/hoped result.
Strange thing is, I've played The DeLuca Family for a couple of hours with URM 1.9.3 without any issues.

I have one more idea I can think off to try.
Sorry :(.

I've played for hours since I removed URM 1.9.3 from the game and not a single save error since then.
It's weird, and if I could pinpoint it I would. I'm not that advanced to be honest.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes