Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

seden

Aug 22, 2016
If possible, instead of the current use of f two key, an Icon or an entry along the ones below (save, skip, etc).

This as to make it compatible with android ..
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Tallomellow32

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
If possible, instead of the current use of f two key, an Icon or an entry along the ones below (save, skip, etc).

This as to make it compatible with android ..
Thanks in advance.
I could do that, but you do realize you cannot just put the .rpa file on your device for it to work?

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
0x52 One thing I've noticed in latest version..... when you edit a value, the input focus isn't on the popup box. Simply starting to type when it appears doesn't alter the value, you have to explicitly click inside that popup (and, I think, actually inside the box holding the current value, not just "anywhere inside the popup").

Not sure if that was intended, but it's handy to just click to edit, and start editing.

Reactions: Mario8080

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
0x52
Thanks for the mod!

Are we able the extract the .rpa file and decompile the .rpyc files - and use them as "loose"?
Or does that break things?

Ps.
I see that your youtube channel is Unlisted - but it would be helpful if you could create a playlist for all the videos listed on the OP.

Cheers

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
0x52 One thing I've noticed in latest version..... when you edit a value, the input focus isn't on the popup box. Simply starting to type when it appears doesn't alter the value, you have to explicitly click inside that popup (and, I think, actually inside the box holding the current value, not just "anywhere inside the popup").

Not sure if that was intended, but it's handy to just click to edit, and start editing.
It was kind of intended, but I changed it :)
This behavior is necessary when there are multiple input field on a screen, but of course not for the single input screens, so I changed all of those.

0x52
Thanks for the mod!

Are we able the extract the .rpa file and decompile the .rpyc files - and use them as "loose"?
Or does that break things?

Ps.
I see that your youtube channel is Unlisted - but it would be helpful if you could create a playlist for all the videos listed on the OP.

Cheers
What would you want to accomplish? You cannot just use a single .rpy file, they depend on each other.

I will look into the Youtube channel ;)

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
What would you want to accomplish? You cannot just use a single .rpy file, they depend on each other.

Thanks - just easier than coming back here for each video (y)

Lol - I realize that - more files there than I thought actually!
I usually "unren" and use un.rpyc to decompile the game archives - as I do edit most games - in some fashion or another.
Just wondering if I did that to this mod (by being forgetful) - would, or could it break things.

Thanks again!

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Thanks - just easier than coming back here for each video (y)

Lol - I realize that - more files there than I thought actually!
I usually "unren" and use un.rpyc to decompile the game archives - as I do edit most games - in some fashion or another.
Just wondering if I did that to this mod (by being forgetful) - would, or could it break things.

Thanks again!
Here's a .

Decompiling the mod's files should not break anything.

Reactions: Twistty

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hey nice mod ur by far the best anyway ive been getting this with the new version never got it on a old version

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks you for reporting. Just uploaded version 0.7.3 fixing this issue.

Also could u add leave the links for older versions of urm
Not sure if I want to keeps older version here. Would you have reported the issue if your could just download the previous version?

Reactions: TheSidewinder

kuwayne

Sep 17, 2017
Thanks you for reporting. Just uploaded version 0.7.3 fixing this issue.

Not sure if I want to keeps older version here. Would you have reported the issue if your could just download the previous version?
Sorry for the late reply and in all honest I would have just used one that worked and kept going but I see how that could be a problem

Reactions: 0x52

PearlNecklaceProductions

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2019
Hey, great job on this, I tested it real quick and it works great and is also clear that a lot of thought, experience, and work went into this.

It's pretty impressive and I wonder how did you accomplish variable search? From the looks of it it's like you are crawling script files for all instances where the comparison is done? I am looking for something that would allow me to check objects and all their children. For example:

I have a girl with her variables stored in an associative dictionary. In the variable search, it shows girl.affection, girl.strength, but not girl.luck because that is not used in the code. This was just a rough comparison. As a developer it would come in handy when I want to see some renpy variables (for example, I can write in console "gui.confirm_frame_borders" and I get "renpy.display.imagelike.Borders object at 0x0..." if I write gui.confirm_frame_borders.padding", I get "(60, 60, 60, 60)" which is what I know beforehand, but I have no clue what else lies in gui.confirm_frame_borders.xxxx without going to check the code and that takes some time.

Anyway, great job on this, I can see how it's almost like a cheat engine for renpy.

Reactions: badsquirrel

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Good job!

One suggestion. Don't know if you can change the hotkey (Shift+M) to something else like ALT+M. Suppose you want to name your character, 'Michael' or 'Mary'? See the problem?
Very interesting, never though of this. I will change it in a future version.

Hey, great job on this, I tested it real quick and it works great and is also clear that a lot of thought, experience, and work went into this.

It's pretty impressive and I wonder how did you accomplish variable search? From the looks of it it's like you are crawling script files for all instances where the comparison is done? I am looking for something that would allow me to check objects and all their children. For example:

I have a girl with her variables stored in an associative dictionary. In the variable search, it shows girl.affection, girl.strength, but not girl.luck because that is not used in the code. This was just a rough comparison. As a developer it would come in handy when I want to see some renpy variables (for example, I can write in console "gui.confirm_frame_borders" and I get "renpy.display.imagelike.Borders object at 0x0..." if I write gui.confirm_frame_borders.padding", I get "(60, 60, 60, 60)" which is what I know beforehand, but I have no clue what else lies in gui.confirm_frame_borders.xxxx without going to check the code and that takes some time.

Anyway, great job on this, I can see how it's almost like a cheat engine for renpy.
Thank you for you kind words. I appreciate it.

No, I'm not crawling scripts for variables, that wouldn't make sense since they're already in memory. So I look them up in memory. Which is way faster!

In your example you're saying you have a dict called girl with a key luck which URM won't show? The only reason why this could happen is because girl.luck is some rare kind of variable, but... you can turn on "show unsupported variables" in the search settings to test this.
1611860572405.png

PearlNecklaceProductions

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2019
I wrote a lot of custom classes and functions for handling events in a game in order to make it easier to add new content (One could argue that it is in fact harder and more strict) and enclosed it all in one big class. If I understand how renpy/python works that's just one huge dictionary in the memory and I assume in some cases where var is a function it showed the result as "unknown". To be honest I was not playing with it that much after I saw all girl variables with "show unsupported variables"

I was still unable to find anything related to renpy - "gui.confirm_frame_borders" search returned no results. I am curious to see everything that is in memory at runtime, but for practical purposes, I managed to find what I searched for in renpy project folder soon enough.

Jan 15, 2020
Hey, this looks pretty neat. Before I download it, I just want to ask, is there any capability to replace image assets? If you wanted to modify a character's imagery, for instance. Is that possible to do with Renpy from a modding perspective?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hey, this looks pretty neat. Before I download it, I just want to ask, is there any capability to replace image assets? If you wanted to modify a character's imagery, for instance. Is that possible to do with Renpy from a modding perspective?
Depends what you want to do exactly. In this demo I replace a character's image next to the dialogue box:

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes