Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

Vitklim

Feb 22, 2018
Is the currently posted download in the OP up to date?

I'm asking because it seems that a bunch of newer Ren'Py games get absolutely bricked when trying to run them with the URM.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
how do i fix this?
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 614, in script
label start:
label start:
File "0x52-URM/classes/labels.rpy", line 144, in labelCalled
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 69, in onLabelCalled
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 55, in afterLoad
File "0x52-URM/classes/settings.rpy", line 109, in __getattr__
File "0x52-URM/classes/settings.rpy", line 132, in get
TypeError: argument of type 'bool' is not iterable

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\charl.FRAZIER-LAP\Downloads\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 275, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\charl.FRAZIER-LAP\Downloads\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\renpy\main.py", line 670, in main
run(restart)
File "C:\Users\charl.FRAZIER-LAP\Downloads\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\renpy\main.py", line 144, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "C:\Users\charl.FRAZIER-LAP\Downloads\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\renpy\execution.py", line 955, in run_context
context.run()
label start:
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build-fix/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python3.9/site-packages/future/utils/__init__.py", line 444, in raise_
label start:
File "C:\Users\charl.FRAZIER-LAP\Downloads\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1088, in execute
renpy.easy.run_callbacks(renpy.config.label_callback, self.name, renpy.game.context().last_abnormal)
File "C:\Users\charl.FRAZIER-LAP\Downloads\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\Fattening_Career-0.09a-pc\renpy\easy.py", line 311, in run_callbacks
return cb(*args, **kwargs)
File "0x52-URM/classes/labels.rpy", line 144, in labelCalled
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 69, in onLabelCalled
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 55, in afterLoad
File "0x52-URM/classes/settings.rpy", line 109, in __getattr__
File "0x52-URM/classes/settings.rpy", line 132, in get
TypeError: argument of type 'bool' is not iterable

Windows-10-10.0.19045 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.3.23091805
Fattening Career 0.09a
Mon Apr 1 01:58:15 2024
Seems like you've modified persistent.URMSettings :unsure:
You could fix it by entering the following into the console:
persistent.URMSettings = {}
Note: The command is case sensitive!

Is the currently posted download in the OP up to date?

I'm asking because it seems that a bunch of newer Ren'Py games get absolutely bricked when trying to run them with the URM.
Yes, it's up to date.
What is the issue you're seeing?

Reactions: Feyd

Vitklim

Feb 22, 2018
Yes, it's up to date.
What is the issue you're seeing?
Pretty sure it's the same one across the various games, but I can verify if needed.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edit: Scratch that, it appears I was using an outdated version of URM. Will test further, but so far seems the mistake was on my end.

summom

Dec 2, 2018
First of all, thanks for this wonderful mod! I really appreciate:)
But here is a little problem..

I played Being a DIK using this mod and enjoyed a lot!
But when I tried to change characters' Bios by using URM in Ep9, sentences that added this new episode didn't appear:(

Former screenshots are the problem ones, and latter are good ones.
Former is saved recently and save from Ep8 that installed URM.
Latter is saved on January and save from Ep8 that didn't installed URM.

The same goes on using updated version URM..
This is not a big problem, but I wonder why it suddenly doesn't work :(

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
First of all, thanks for this wonderful mod! I really appreciate:)
But here is a little problem..

I played Being a DIK using this mod and enjoyed a lot!
But when I tried to change characters' Bios by using URM in Ep9, sentences that added this new episode didn't appear:(

Former screenshots are the problem ones, and latter are good ones.
Former is saved recently and save from Ep8 that installed URM.
Latter is saved on January and save from Ep8 that didn't installed URM.

The same goes on using updated version URM..
This is not a big problem, but I wonder why it suddenly doesn't work :(
I cannot explain this without diving into the game's code.

can we track these kind of choices?
Only way I can think of is to create a snapshot before picking an option and then compare it after you've picked.

Reactions: Feyd and Tickvick

summom

Dec 2, 2018
I cannot explain this without diving into the game's code.
So here's another thing.
After replace URM into the newest version 2.1.2, URM open well in former(problem ones).
But for latter, I can't open 2.1.2 URM by pressing ALT+M and also didn't work when choice is appeared... that save only works for 1.15.2 URM!

Guess what is the problem here?

Last edited:

Ty1er

Jul 7, 2023
URM 2.1.2
Small update for our Android users:
  • Fix: Validate write access for global settings (prevents crash on some Android games)
Everything the same except updated urm to latest Version

Although this fix the crash but i can't bring the menu up by drawing a "U" or when there is a choice option. Do i have to start new game instead of loading the saves for it to work?

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Everything the same except updated urm to latest Version

Although this fix the crash but i can't bring the menu up by drawing a "U" or when there is a choice option. Do i have to start new game instead of loading the saves for it to work?
Does it work when you start a new game?
Did you maybe rollback after loading a save?
What game are we talking about?

Reactions: Feyd

Mr.Grim

Apr 28, 2019
So I was testing your mod on Pale Carnation. And for someone reason I keep getting error message when I try to open UA to change any variable.

lewdypie

Feb 13, 2021
Feature request: I would like to be able to filter path notifications for specific conditions.

I'm currently playing Being Super and almost after every click, there is a path notification checking if you have the light or dark version of the game.
I don't want to disable notifications completely because I still want to know about other branches.

From a UI perspective, I propose adding an "ignore" button when viewing a path condition.

Anyway, keep up the great work 0x52. Really appreciate it!

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
So I was testing your mod on Pale Carnation. And for someone reason I keep getting error message when I try to open UA to change any variable.
But what is the error you're getting?
Check this:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?

Feature request: I would like to be able to filter path notifications for specific conditions.

I'm currently playing Being Super and almost after every click, there is a path notification checking if you have the light or dark version of the game.
I don't want to disable notifications completely because I still want to know about other branches.

From a UI perspective, I propose adding an "ignore" button when viewing a path condition.

Anyway, keep up the great work 0x52. Really appreciate it!
It's on the wishlist to be able to ignore certain conditions

tlovers

Dec 26, 2018
But what is the error you're getting?
Check this:

It's on the wishlist to be able to ignore certain conditions
Hi there dear developer. I wanted to ask you if there is anyway to make your mod to work with A Wife's Phone v0.4.7 game? I mean I was trying everything and I just don't know how to make URM menu to fit a screen properly... Here I upload a screenshot to show you what I mean. Thank you. awfurmhelp.jpg

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
0x52 Just added a function to my Android ports to auto import 0x52_URM.rpa into the game folder if it's in the /Documents folder. (Means users only need to keep one file up-to-date)
It's currently running from a python early block in game but still requires a restart to load. Do you know a work around for this or would it require going even earlier from RenPy itself?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I am having issues with this game https://f95zone.to/threads/4-kingdoms-supremacy-v0-14-piggy-nose-games.194636/ everytime I try to launch with urm I get the error text below.
I am using the latest version.

This happens because the dev broke Ren'Py itself by using the "adv" for a transformation.
You could fix this by opening the file "game/images.rpy" and change "adv" in line 266 and line 95 to something else.
"adv_fix" for example:
Line 95: text "{b}Click when the gold dot reaches the center.{/b}" at adv_fix
Line 226: transform adv_fix:

Hi there dear developer. I wanted to ask you if there is anyway to make your mod to work with A Wife's Phone v0.4.7 game? I mean I was trying everything and I just don't know how to make URM menu to fit a screen properly... Here I upload a screenshot to show you what I mean. Thank you. View attachment 3515698
Unfortunately URM cannot support such a narrow screen resolution. You could change the variable config.screen_width in the options.py file to 1920, but that will probably make the game a little messed up

0x52 Just added a function to my Android ports to auto import 0x52_URM.rpa into the game folder if it's in the /Documents folder. (Means users only need to keep one file up-to-date)
It's currently running from a python early block in game but still requires a restart to load. Do you know a work around for this or would it require going even earlier from RenPy itself?
Sounds nice.
You could call renpy.reload_script() after placing the RPA file in the game's folder

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
URM 2.1.3
Just published 2.1.3 with two fixes:
  • Fix: Improved permissions validation for Android (global settings) (prevents crash on some Android games)
  • Fix: Implemented a workaround for some games that broke a Ren'Py feature that URM needs (this fixes the "AttributeError: 'ADVCharacter' object has no attribute '_getframe'" error some games throw)

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Sounds nice.
You could call renpy.reload_script() after placing the RPA file in the game's folder
Mobile doesn't like reload, even though the exception is hashed out in 7.7.1/8.2.1
Placed script in renpy.py, main SDK directory and now coppies and loads happily

Shadow_Walker_1

Mar 10, 2023
URM 2.1.3
Just published 2.1.3 with two fixes:
  • Fix: Improved permissions validation for Android (global settings) (prevents crash on some Android games)
  • Fix: Implemented a workaround for some games that broke a Ren'Py feature that URM needs (this fixes the "AttributeError: 'ADVCharacter' object has no attribute '_getframe'" error some games throw)
There seems to be a problem when using this mode with Pale Carnations. When I search for variables the game crashes and I have to rollback to continue playing but after that whenever I try to open the mod again it just crashes. I use the latest version 2.1.3 and the problem happenes with this game only other games work fine with the mod.
note: when I tried the old version of the mod 1.15.2, the game worked fine with the mod and I could change the variables just fine.
Thank you in advance.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes