Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

toobad0912

May 1, 2021
You can download every ever published version of URM from 0x52's website, see OP for the link.
To be honest, it's not very intuitive to find previous versions, so here is how you can get them:
Thanks! I missed the "Load full history" step when I was poking about earlier. Much appreciated!

soadeths

Dec 4, 2021
soadeths said:
Moreover, I've noticed other situations (only on certain games) where the top-left menu doesn't display at all, and only for the new version (not 100% sure here about the new version only).
Game example: it was quite specific but I saw it mostly on "Where It All Began".
I cannot reproduce this. Did you maybe rollback after loading a save? This could make URM disappear if it wasn't previously there.

I'm sorry, I've just tried again, the problem was probably the walkthrough mod, because when I tried again without it, I didn't have the problem anymore.
To reproduce the bug, you have to start a new game with the walkthrough mod, that's when your mod doesn't work.
However, when you load a game, it works correctly.

Reactions: 0x52

Mibera

Dec 6, 2023
i encountered now a bug multiple times on different games, when I update urm in game, from a 1.15.x version to the new one it kills the game and opens the traceback, the update was successful(kinda) but you need to restart the game.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

soadeths

Dec 4, 2021
i encountered now a bug multiple times on different games, when I update urm in game, from a 1.15.x version to the new one it kills the game and opens the traceback, the update was successful(kinda) but you need to restart the game.
Sometimes certain games don't support the update, or when there are too many different versions, the easiest way in this situation is to download the mod from the official site.

dumb0015

Apr 6, 2018
im trying this on Attack On Survey Corps and it crashes giving this

While loading the script.
Exception: Could not load from archive 0x52-URM/classes/API.rpyc.
anyway to fix it ?

Doom Marine

Oct 1, 2018
I cannot reproduce this issue, could you maybe share your affected save?
Sure, no problem. The problem is that if I put your URM in the game folder, open the game and create a new game, the game crashes. If I load a game save with a mod in the game folder, the game also still crashes!

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Sounds like you've experienced the issue that's mentioned in the changelog?
changelog said:
Warning! Updating to this version within URM (coming from URM version 1.x) could crash your game (because a lot has changed inside URM), but when you start the game again the update will be completed.

anyway to fix it ?
Please supply some more information. See this for guidance:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?

Reactions: Feyd and dumb0015

Doom Marine

Oct 1, 2018

anyway to fix it ?
Dude, there's no point in using this mod tool in this game because it doesn't work. I have tried to use it in the past and had problems, I sought knowledge and help from the mod developer and he said that the problem is in the game engine, the Attack On Survey Corps developer uses a version of renpy to test, Ren'Py Nightly. These are nightly builds of Ren'Py, created primarily to allow you to help with testing and development of Ren'Py.

Also, the tool's mod discourages the use of nightly builds of Ren'Py to create games, because is instable and also does not offer support for them!

dSinx_

Jan 24, 2024
Hello I'm new here.. Is there a way to rename the characters not just on the label but as well in the text boxes? As much as I appreciate the work (thank you so much) I find it difficult to rename slide by slide. Is there a way to apply changes for all?

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
It seems to be working fine on Joiplay, for some random reason. Nothing changed in the four or five hours since I was having issues.

• Thinking Face

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hello I'm new here.. Is there a way to rename the characters not just on the label but as well in the text boxes? As much as I appreciate the work (thank you so much) I find it difficult to rename slide by slide. Is there a way to apply changes for all?
Normally renaming a character would also result in a name change in the dialogue.
There's a know issue where a character is not renamed in the dialogue when a variable is used, so this is probably the case with your game. It's something that will be addressed in a future release.

Reactions: Feyd and dSinx_

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Sure, no problem. The problem is that if I put your URM in the game folder, open the game and create a new game, the game crashes. If I load a game save with a mod in the game folder, the game also still crashes!
There's some funky stuff going on with this game.
For me it never crashes, but when I load your save (with or without URM) it results in a black screen.
And unlike you I can start a new game with URM installed just fine.

dSinx_

Jan 24, 2024
Normally renaming a character would also result in a name change in the dialogue.
There's a know issue where a character is not renamed in the dialogue when a variable is used, so this is probably the case with your game. It's something that will be addressed in a future release.
Thank you for your response. I was wondering maybe I should freeze the characters variable so that there name don't change? or maybe it's just the game

dumb0015

Apr 6, 2018
Dude, there's no point in using this mod tool in this game because it doesn't work. I have tried to use it in the past and had problems, I sought knowledge and help from the mod developer and he said that the problem is in the game engine, the Attack On Survey Corps developer uses a version of renpy to test, Ren'Py Nightly. These are nightly builds of Ren'Py, created primarily to allow you to help with testing and development of Ren'Py.

Also, the tool's mod discourages the use of nightly builds of Ren'Py to create games, because is instable and also does not offer support for them!
i see, well thats annoying i cant find anyways to change the stupid energy in this game thought id try this well well

Reactions: Doom Marine

Doom Marine

Oct 1, 2018
There's some funky stuff going on with this game.
For me it never crashes, but when I load your save (with or without URM) it results in a black screen.And unlike you I can start a new game with URM installed just fine.
Weird as hell! Anyway, I'll wait for more updates on this game and in the future I'll try to use it again.

The fact is, this tool is so useful, that I can't play Renpy games without it! and when I find a game that doesn't work, I feel depressed! :WutFace:

• Haha

Hahqv

Feb 17, 2020
How can I use it without joiplay? I only play with apk and how do I install it on android please help me

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Is it possible to auto-show the code in a dialogue choice when you open the Choices Detected window?
Not yet

How can I use it without joiplay? I only play with apk and how do I install it on android please help me
If the Android port supports it. See:
Not all Android versions will work, but you could try this:
  1. Use a filebrowser to go to /storage/emulated/android/data/<gamename>/files/game (create the directory "game" if it doesn't exist yet)
  2. Put the 0x52_URM.rpa in there
  3. Load the game
(I've also just added this explanation to the OP)

Reactions: Belzeebub$ and Feyd

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
I have a request to all people (who plays in android platform or uses joiplay emulator) in this thread - please Search joiplay in this thread - before requesting it or asking questions which are answered already several times. 0x52 already has a lot on his plate making and debugging this mod and in trying to make it even more better. It will be favor to him if we do not ask out of topic questions in this thread. Also, I would like to request 0x52 to put this post or the search I linked to put on the OP so that android users can find it useful. That way he will not have cater to these triffles in future.

MrBenny

Jul 20, 2021
I have a question with regards to the old (v1.5 and below) format... I was wondering if the old light blue UI format, could be added as a skin with latest releases?

As I'm still using an old blue UI version (out of date), and I prefer the box less clear interface (easier to see and use).

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes