Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.3.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
You're talking about games that are in a portrait/vertical resolution instead of landscape/widescreen?
Can you give some examples of games doing this?

As shown in you screenshots, URM has every settings twice. Once "local" and once "global".
Local only applies to the current game.
Global is shared between all URM installs on your device.

This is also explained when clicking the question mark next to "Setting".
ThankU For your time and helping me solve the issue 0x52 and theMickey_ .

Keep Growing!
Stay Healthy!

GOLDLUCK!:coffee:

Reactions: 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I’ve seem to have got myself lost. I have installed this onto my steamdeck and the 52 icon was right in the middle of the screen. While trying to figure out how to move it, I seem to have hidden it and I cannot figure out how to pull it up now. Drawing a U does nothing.

anyone have anything?
Strange that you cannot open it by drawing an U (note it's not a rounded U, maar angular like |_|).
Deleting the game's persistent file (from both the game's folder as the appdata folder) should make the touchbutton reappear, but I don't know how this will impact your game.

Can't you just plug in a keyboard or trigger an on-screen keyboard to press Alt+M? You can enable/disable the touchbutton through URM's settings

Reactions: Feyd and Moonywb

Kinito1952

Mar 11, 2020
Thank you for your report, but can you please also describe what you're doing in-game? Are you just searching for variables, trying to change or freeze them, are you using custom textboxes -- what actions do you do that might lead to these errors in your logfile, so I can try to reproduce?
2024/07/18
My thanks to 0x52 for his effectiveness and to theMickey_ for his attention and speed. The issue is resolved after upgrading to URM V2.3.1
I repeat, thank you very much to both of you.
Greetings.

Reactions: 0x52 and theMickey_

mm22005

Dec 6, 2023
im on PC every time i click alt m it minimizes the game cannot get the mod to open.... as well the game i am playing is home in the desert. THANKS

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
im on PC every time i click alt m it minimizes the game cannot get the mod to open.... as well the game i am playing is home in the desert. THANKS
Are you sure you're pressing ALT + M? On Windows, the Windows key (next to the ALT key!) + M will minimize all your windows (including the game), so I'm assuming you're pressing WINDOWS + M instead ;)

Reactions: 0x52

Dgunslinger

Feb 4, 2021
You're talking about games that are in a portrait/vertical resolution instead of landscape/widescreen?
Yes, you got it right

There are a few, but A Wife's Phone is the game I really need it for. Its got a very slow grind, and a million steps in various paths.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration!

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
0x52
So... I think I've made the suggestion before, but just checking up to see if you have any plans for it.

It would be great if you can rename characters or do text replacement only for the speech of a specific character. For example, let us replace [mom_name] with "mom", but only when the MC says it. That would give us the power to do a makeshift incest patch when it takes too long for the official/unofficial patch to drop. Is that something feasible?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
0x52
So... I think I've made the suggestion before, but just checking up to see if you have any plans for it.

It would be great if you can rename characters or do text replacement only for the speech of a specific character. For example, let us replace [mom_name] with "mom", but only when the MC says it. That would give us the power to do a makeshift incest patch when it takes too long for the official/unofficial patch to drop. Is that something feasible?
You are looking for this?
0x52

Hey there, I got an idea for a feature. Do you think it would be possible to replace text only when it is spoken by certain characters?

For a makeshift incest patch, that would be quite helpful in cases where the dev didn't make different name variables to account for different characters referencing the mom.

Replacing the name with "mom" in all cases would lead to everyone calling her that. But if we can limit the replacement to when the line are spoken by her children, that would probably be good enough.

Reactions: Feyd and desmosome

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
Hi 0x52 , sorry for coming back to an old idea, but do you still have in the list of possible things to add the function of having the variables being watched getting automatically ordered in alphabetical name order (ascending, descending, does not really matter) ?
I know not everybody has a long list of watched variables (longer than one screen) and adds them up over time, but my (maybe completely wrong) guess is that I will not be the only one...

MiltonPowers

Formerly 'Milton749'
Jul 26, 2023
Hi 0x52 , sorry for coming back to an old idea, but do you still have in the list of possible things to add the function of having the variables being watched getting automatically ordered in alphabetical name order (ascending, descending, does not really matter) ?
I know not everybody has a long list of watched variables (longer than one screen) and adds them up over time, but my (maybe completely wrong) guess is that I will not be the only one...
You can just click the arrow next to name to sort them alphabetically.

Screenshot 2024-07-25 115710.png

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
You can just click the arrow next to name to sort them alphabetically.

View attachment 3864344
Thanks, I suspected it was a problem of version, and indeed I was not using the latest. But what I meant (it was my original input) was to have the list ordered in the watchpanel.
Even with the latest version, I just tried replacing the older one, if I open URM and go in the "variables", I can indeed see them in order, but if look at the watchpanel, they are not ordered, they are still in the same "messy" (I guess by order or when I configured them to be "watched") order in which they were originally.
I even tried to disable the watchpanel and reactivate it, but it still the same.

Mtmtmt007

Mar 2, 2021
Hi 0x52I have a question
Many android porter's use storage permissions to create game directory so that we can use your mod in their port
But what if there is port by developer which doesn't use storage permissions to create game directory. Do I make it myself?
Or there is no way to use your mod in this type of android ports?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Thanks, I suspected it was a problem of version, and indeed I was not using the latest. But what I meant (it was my original input) was to have the list ordered in the watchpanel.
Even with the latest version, I just tried replacing the older one, if I open URM and go in the "variables", I can indeed see them in order, but if look at the watchpanel, they are not ordered, they are still in the same "messy" (I guess by order or when I configured them to be "watched") order in which they were originally.
I even tried to disable the watchpanel and reactivate it, but it still the same.
Sorting in the watchpanel is on my todo list

Hi 0x52
I have a question
Many android porter's use storage permissions to create game directory so that we can use your mod in their port
But what if there is port by developer which doesn't use storage permissions to create game directory. Do I make it myself?
Or there is no way to use your mod in this type of android ports?
Did you see this:
The easiers way would be to use JoiPlay. But some Android versions of Ren'Py games support mods, in that case you could try:
  1. Use a filebrowser to go to /storage/emulated/android/data/<gamename>/files/game (create the directory "game" if it doesn't exist yet)
  2. Put the 0x52_URM.rpa in there
  3. Load the game
So yes, you would have to create the game directory yourself and it should work

Mtmtmt007

Mar 2, 2021
Sorting in the watchpanel is on my todo list

Did you see this:

So yes, you would have to create the game directory yourself and it should work
Ok, but where do I create game directory, and how do I create it so that it can work?
Android/data folder is not accessible
Should I create it in documents folder?

Last edited:

Jhon3

Aug 24, 2018
Hi I got this error when I try to run COTE: Red Sonata [v0.13.4] and after the error ocurred the "0x52_URM.rpa" disapears from the "game" folder and the game keep crashing

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 288, in script
python:
ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 359, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\main.py", line 635, in main
run(restart)
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\main.py", line 145, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\execution.py", line 955, in run_context
context.run()
python:
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\script.py", line 1103, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.2.1.24030407

HiP1

Dec 3, 2023
hey! great mod!
the new codeview feature is a great idea.
have you thought about adding menus in the codeview? right now, menus are included in "some dialog"

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Ok, but where do I create game directory, and how do I create it so that it can work?
Android/data folder is not accessible
Should I create it in documents folder?
You need a file explorer that can access android/data then.
Some ports support the documents folder.

Hi I got this error when I try to run COTE: Red Sonata [v0.13.4] and after the error ocurred the "0x52_URM.rpa" disapears from the "game" folder and the game keep crashing

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
python:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 359, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\main.py", line 635, in main
run(restart)
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\main.py", line 145, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\execution.py", line 955, in run_context
context.run()
python:
File "E:\Nueva carpeta\COTE Red Sonata\RedSonata-0.13.4-pc\renpy\script.py", line 1103, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.2.1.24030407
Looks like the game deletes the mod. When you extract the "scripts.rpa" file and then delete it the mod will be preserved.

hey! great mod!
the new codeview feature is a great idea.
have you thought about adding menus in the codeview? right now, menus are included in "some dialog"
Added it to my todo list ;)

Reactions: Feyd and GamerDaddy
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes