Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.3] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
Unfortunately I am yet again experiencing issues when using the rename feature of the urm mod.
In the "Deep Vault 69" renpy vn I wanted to replace the word "Ermund" with "Vault". Doing that results in an endless number of error windows shown!
In "Dawn of Malice" the word "landlady" is not replaced if trying to do so with this mod, I have tried both with and without the case insensitive checked.
Those are just the most recent two errors I have received, they are unfortunately not lone incidents.

Recently I have also on multiple occations searched for something without getting a result that should have generated one. For example seeing a variable on a choice and searching for that variable yields no results. Searching for an exact value that is displayed can also lead to no results being shown. I realize that coding things to be hidden by calls etc. can mess things up for mods like this one, but not having the things you want to modify displayed would make the use of the mod redundant, right? So I would think that this is a big issue! Fixing it or circumventing such features is beyond my own programming knowledge or capabilities, but perhaps it is possible to do somehow?

In any case, I hope this information helps in the development of a future version of the mod!

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
In the "Deep Vault 69" renpy vn I wanted to replace the word "Ermund" with "Vault".
I tried this, and I also get a lot of errors.

In "Dawn of Malice" the word "landlady" is not replaced if trying to do so with this mod, I have tried both with and without the case insensitive checked.
That's an easy fix: "landlady" is not actually part of the the text, it's just a variable you'll have to change. I searched for "landlady" as value and found this:

1680974359520.png

Changing the value works as expected:

1680974179080.png

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Can you check Hitomi's Sick Pleasure?

It deletes the URM file when I run the game. I can't extract it with unren either. Maybe there is some tamper protection...?
throws a phyton-lib error while extracting with unren for all , unren 1.0.10 does not work
non of the extracting methods work (unren ; depack12)
you may ask here for support first to extract
https://f95zone.to/threads/unren-ba...compiler-console-developer-menu-enabler.3083/
this game deletes every additional file put in the game folder

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
It deletes the URM file when I run the game.
this game deletes every additional file put in the game folder
Interesting, I've never seen that behavior before. But here's a fix:

1) In file "bootstrap.py" change line 134
  • from if item in ("archive.rpa", "script_version.txt"):
  • to if item in ("archive.rpa", "script_version.txt", "0x52_URM.rpa"):

2) In file "loader.py" change line 422
  • from if item not in ("archive.rpa", "script_version.txt"):
  • to if item not in ("archive.rpa", "script_version.txt", "0x52_URM.rpa"):

And then enjoy the game with URM :D

itachi221997

Oct 27, 2020
View attachment 587373

Overview:
Easiest installation, open mod by pressing Alt+M

This mod is a great tool to cheat or debug Ren'Py games. See full Features list below for details.

Some features in short:
Find, change, freeze and monitor variables, detect hidden choices, detect paths, rename any character, find/save/replay scenes, watch variables, skip splashscreen

Updated: 2023-03-18
Game/Creator: Any Ren'Py game using Ren'Py engine 6.99.14 or newer
Modder: 0x52 -
Mod Version: 1.14

Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Roadmap:

Installation:

Change-Log:

After developing Ren'Py mods for almost a year now. I thought is was time to create the mod of all mods.
So here is what I call URM (or Universal Ren'Py Mod). The goal of this mod is to enable anyone (even without any programming knowledge) to be able to quickly and easily mod any Ren'Py game.
Just drop the mod file into your favorite game's "game" directory and start modding!

Please let me know what you think. I really appreciate any feedback, so I know I'm not doing this for nothing.
Or maybe consider supporting me or .

WARNING!
You could break your game modifying any variable. Use at your own risk!
Breaking the game depends on the game's programming. You could create set of values the game doesn't expect. Which for example could prevent you to progress in the game or miss certain scenes. I would recommend saving before modifying. So you could always go back if something unexpected happens.

Screenshots:
View attachment 1083993 View attachment 2227883 View attachment 1083995 View attachment 1083998 View attachment 1556197 View attachment 1084000 View attachment 1781739 View attachment 2477575

Download:
or Attachment below​

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hallo 0x52, first of all - thanks for your awesome work with this Mod. I just wanted to inform you (and players of Sunshine Love) that enable the option "Skip splashscreen" in the game Sunshine Love results in an error, seems that game doing something different - other games work just fine with that option. So not sure if you can change anything or just disable that feature if a game does not support it ..

I've looked into this and it's caused by the i-patch.
It replaces Ren'Py's config.label_overrides with a custom object ("LabelOverridesSwitch")

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Unfortunately I am yet again experiencing issues when using the rename feature of the urm mod.
In the "Deep Vault 69" renpy vn I wanted to replace the word "Ermund" with "Vault". Doing that results in an endless number of error windows shown!
I tried this and got the error as described here in the F.A.Q.:
1681231217889.png

Recently I have also on multiple occations searched for something without getting a result that should have generated one. For example seeing a variable on a choice and searching for that variable yields no results. Searching for an exact value that is displayed can also lead to no results being shown. I realize that coding things to be hidden by calls etc. can mess things up for mods like this one, but not having the things you want to modify displayed would make the use of the mod redundant, right? So I would think that this is a big issue! Fixing it or circumventing such features is beyond my own programming knowledge or capabilities, but perhaps it is possible to do somehow?
Are you on URM 1.14? If you are, I would love to have some specific examples to research this.

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
I tried this and got the error as described here in the F.A.Q.:
View attachment 2538575

Are you on URM 1.14? If you are, I would love to have some specific examples to research this.
Roger that.
I try to use the latest version of the URM mod, 1.14 is the one I use right now.

See the images + words in the spoiler for a specific example of not being able to find a variable through a search:

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Roger that.
I try to use the latest version of the URM mod, 1.14 is the one I use right now.

See the images + words in the spoiler for a specific example of not being able to find a variable through a search:
yeah - gl with CK cheating ... :censored:
after they reworked the code at he end of CK1...

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Roger that.

I think I get the issue now. I've just added this to the F.A.Q.:
A dot in a variable name is not actually part of the name, it just separates the name from a property.

For example:
You have a variable showing wallet.money. This means there's a variable called "wallet" which has a property "money". If you want to to find this variable by it's name you have to search for "wallet" or "money" (you will never find a dot in a variable name)

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
I think I get the issue now. I've just added this to the F.A.Q....
Hi 0x52, I was about to write the same a few hours ago, but thought I might just test it with the game the user mentioned -- so I tried searching for penelope or relationship. And while I did find the variable penelope (which had various properties), I couldn't find the relationship property. Any idea why that would be the case?

1681318563593.png

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Hi 0x52, I was about to write the same a few hours ago, but thought I might just test it with the game the user mentioned -- so I tried searching for penelope or relationship. And while I did find the variable penelope (which had various properties), I couldn't find the relationship property. Any idea why that would be the case?

;)

this game driving me nuts too...

Last edited:

Bzshr

Feb 4, 2018
Ah that looks different from what I received. See below:

I thought this would be a simple fix as it indicated a Key Error, but I guess it may not always work with other games.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Ah that looks different from what I received. See below:

I thought this would be a simple fix as it indicated a Key Error, but I guess it may not always work with other games.
i am pretty sure its this part of the unlocker code

# Make all missing persistent variables to be True.
@Hook(renpy.game.Persistent, '__getattr__')
def hijack(func, self, name):
if name.startswith("_"):
return func(self, name)
else:
return True

the urm mod uses the same to load/store its settings

def __getattr__(self, attr):
if attr in URMSettingsClass.defaultValues:
return self.get(attr)
I might add something similar in a future version of URM, but I will not fix this issue.
The other mod seems to make undefined persistent variables return the value True instead of None, which of course can introduce all kinds of problems.

Jah-Ith-Ber

Feb 23, 2021
Hmm cannot get to work with Katawa Shoujo.

Place in folder and get this error on launch.

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

error: Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect header check

While loading the script.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\KSHD\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\main.py", line 173, in main
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 480, in load_script
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 160, in __init__
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 355, in load_appropriate_file
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 291, in load_file
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 266, in load_file_core
File "encodings\zlib_codec.pyo", line 43, in zlib_decode

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.2e

any ideas? I might be too stupid to understand version naming is 6.10.2e older than the 6.99 it says is required for URM?

• Haha
Reactions: Belzeebub$

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Hmm cannot get to work with Katawa Shoujo.

Place in folder and get this error on launch.

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\KSHD\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\main.py", line 173, in main
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 480, in load_script
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 160, in __init__
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 355, in load_appropriate_file
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 291, in load_file
File "D:\KSHD\renpy\script.py", line 266, in load_file_core
File "encodings\zlib_codec.pyo", line 43, in zlib_decode

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.2e

any ideas? I might be too stupid to understand version naming is 6.10.2e older than the 6.99 it says is required for URM?
works from renpy v6.99xxx up
so yes the renpy engine is not supported

ofvhardin333

Nov 6, 2022
This is one of the best mods I have ever used, thank you so much! That said, I have an issue report.

Issue Report Information:

Are you using the latest version of URM?
Downloaded Today, [Eighteenth of April, 2023]

Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
Divine Dawn [v0.23c] https://f95zone.to/threads/divine-dawn-v0-23c-cryswar.73834/

If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
No grey screen, but it does crash.

traceback.txt file:

What did you do that caused the issue?
Put a copy of 0x52_URM.rpa into the game folder, then attempted to run the game.

Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
No ren'py window opens.

When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
No URM error.

log.txt file:

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes