Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.4.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 36 Votes

shmurfer

Dec 29, 2019
Not that I know of.
Do you experience this with multiple games? If so, what it the behavior you're seeing. After the update has failed, can you close the game and check the log.txt file if there are any lines starting with "0x52"?
I only use it with one game, Lessons in Love. If it matters this is a download of their 0.42 update that I have patched 0.43 into, but I recall this happening before on the old update where that one was from like 0.36 onward.

There is a error, seems pretty "shit's broke" vague though.

0x52: Failed to process variable changes. get_changes() missing 1 required positional argument: 'previous'
I'll paste the full log but it's pretty bare on details. The log that happened from before this test where I actually played for a bit just spammed that same error a ton. This time I just opened the game, tried to update, tried to apply update, after thing came back the update screen appeared again, closed it and then closed the game.

2024-09-24 17:40:35 UTC
Windows-10-10.0.19045
Ren'Py 8.2.3.24061702

Lessons in Love
Built at 2024-07-31 20:48:36 UTC

Early init took 2.39s
Loading error handling took 0.17s
Loading script took 16.96s
Loading save slot metadata took 1.37s
Loading persistent took 0.06s
Set script version to: (8, 2, 3)
- Init at game/script.rpy:3 took 0.36899 s.
- Init at renpy/common/00images.rpy:55 took 0.72441 s.
- Init at 0x52-URM/classes/main.rpyc:178 took 0.78437 s.
Running init code took 2.46s
Loading analysis data took 0.54s
Analyze and compile ATL took 0.00s
Reloading save slot metadata took 0.83s
Index archives took 0.00s
Dump and make backups took 0.00s
Cleaning cache took 0.00s
Making clean stores took 0.00s
Initial gc took 0.74s
DPI scale factor: 1.000000
nvdrs: Loaded, about to disable thread optimizations.
nvdrs: b"Couldn't load nvlib." (can be ignored)
Creating interface object took 0.05s
Cleaning stores took 0.00s
Init translation took 0.79s
Build styles took 0.01s
Load screen analysis took 0.68s
Analyze screens took 0.02s
Save screen analysis took 0.00s
Prepare screens took 2.15s
Save pyanalysis. took 0.51s
Save bytecode. took 0.42s
Running _start took 0.00s
Interface start took 0.94s

Initializing gl2 renderer:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1920, 1080)
swap interval: 1 frames
Windowed mode.
Vendor: "b'Intel'"
Renderer: b'Intel(R) UHD Graphics'
Version: b'4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9268'
Display Info: None
Screen sizes: virtual=(1920, 1080) physical=(1920, 1017) drawable=(1920, 1017)
Maximum texture size: 4096x4096
0x52: Failed to process variable changes. get_changes() missing 1 required positional argument: 'previous'
Resetting cache.
Early init took 44.71s
Loading error handling took 0.51s
Loading script took 5.19s
Loading save slot metadata took 1.22s
Loading persistent took 0.05s
Set script version to: (8, 2, 3)
- Init at renpy/common/00images.rpy:55 took 0.62533 s.
- Init at 0x52-URM/classes/main.rpyc:178 took 0.61034 s.
Running init code took 1.55s
Loading analysis data took 1.60s
Analyze and compile ATL took 0.00s
Reloading save slot metadata took 0.62s
Index archives took 0.00s
Dump and make backups took 0.00s
Cleaning cache took 0.00s
Making clean stores took 0.00s
Initial gc took 0.83s
DPI scale factor: 1.000000
nvdrs: Loaded, about to disable thread optimizations.
nvdrs: b"Couldn't load nvlib." (can be ignored)
Creating interface object took 0.00s
Cleaning stores took 0.00s
Init translation took 0.92s
Build styles took 0.01s
Load screen analysis took 0.55s
Analyze screens took 0.02s
Save screen analysis took 0.00s
Prepare screens took 1.84s
Save pyanalysis. took 0.47s
Save bytecode. took 0.06s
Running _start took 0.00s
Interface start took 1.05s

Initializing gl2 renderer:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1920, 1080)
swap interval: 1 frames
Windowed mode.
Vendor: "b'Intel'"
Renderer: b'Intel(R) UHD Graphics'
Version: b'4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9268'
Display Info: None

Nero1

Oct 14, 2017
Yo thanks for the mod! You think we could get an update with a choice screen feature, or is that too much? Like, showing the points for each option on screen, kinda like the Universal Choice Descriptor

Reactions: doujin1

max_z_smith

Memberen't
Donor
Dec 30, 2016
Apologies if this is already stated, but is there a simple way to mass-edit all results? As in, I searched for variables named "love", got the love stat for 20 different characters, and I want to set them all to 99.

This is an amazing tool, thank you for your hard work!

Reactions: Nero1

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
UPDATE: Contrary to my earlier post, thanks to anne O'nymous I managed to get Sunshine Love working with URM IF you also are using the ipatch (regardless of which one, whether you use the separate ipatches or the ones included with Sancho's mod)

I haven't played through all 3 chapters yet, only chapter 1, but I did check if the ipatch got activated in chapters 2 and 3, so I don't expect a problem there, even so, feel free to drop a comment if you run into a glitch.

I renamed the rpa files to match the SL chapter, so you will need to make sure to first delete the original ipatch*.rpa file before copying it into the game folder.

I thought I had found a way to make URM work with Sunshine Love _if_ you also use the ipatches, I could get it as far as not throwing an exception, alas it also caused the ipatches to stop doing what they were supposed to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Yo thanks for the mod! You think we could get an update with a choice screen feature, or is that too much? Like, showing the points for each option on screen, kinda like the Universal Choice Descriptor
There's something for that on my todo list

Hopefully the Chinese language can be added
Might be added in a future version

Apologies if this is already stated, but is there a simple way to mass-edit all results? As in, I searched for variables named "love", got the love stat for 20 different characters, and I want to set them all to 99.

This is an amazing tool, thank you for your hard work!
It's on my todo list

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
(just getting your attention)
Out of curiosity, with how comprehensive the menu panel seems to be, is there a reason you haven't implemented a way to edit/add the primary/secondary save names?

I know most games either have the ability to add names to saves or don't, but there are a few mods out there that add that feature, and I'm just surprised that's not something yours offers.

Darth Mat

Skyfire
Donor
Jun 28, 2017
Any way to make the transparency effect work on older games or low resolution ones like "Four Elements Trainer" or another low resolution game that I don't recall the name...? Neither color or transparency settings seems to work. Four_Elements_Trainer.30.09.24_14.png

Sorry if this was asked before, I couldn't find it searching for

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Out of curiosity, with how comprehensive the menu panel seems to be, is there a reason you haven't implemented a way to edit/add the primary/secondary save names?

I know most games either have the ability to add names to saves or don't, but there are a few mods out there that add that feature, and I'm just surprised that's not something yours offers.
No reason. I've added it to the wishlist

Any way to make the transparency effect work on older games or low resolution ones like "Four Elements Trainer" or another low resolution game that I don't recall the name...? Neither color or transparency settings seems to work. View attachment 4087459

Sorry if this was asked before, I couldn't find it searching for
My guess is that they are using multiple window dialogues (multiple characters speaking at the same time)? Which currently isn't supported by URM

Reactions: Feyd

Johan_0000

Apr 14, 2023
Seems like the progressbar still needs work (tried it on a few games and it never ended at 100 lol, often near 60 or 40, only tried it 2 times though). But it's a rly good idea.

Keep up the good work mate
All the best

THX

Hollywood_Un

Oct 4, 2019
Hi! THX for mod!
This is the first time I have encountered such a problem. In game Seeds of Chaos, choices are detected in the watch panel, but notification does not appear. How can this be fixed?

performant

Aug 21, 2022
Here's an issue that I think is easily reproducible for any game.
  • Version of URM: 2.4 (the latest one)
  • Game 1: The Hellcat Lounge with KoGa3's Multi Mod
  • Game 2: My First Love with the Bug-Fix Mod and Walkthrough
  • and pretty much any other game that has "" in dialogues
  • 2 "traceback.txt" files attached
  • No lines starting with "0x52:" in log.txt
  • Win 10 [Version 10.0.19045.4894]
  • I use mods as shown above, though this doesn't seem related to mods.
1. As shown below, I use a custom textbox for most games to reduce the font size, in "Light" mode.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

2. The game raises an exception whenever it encounters any line that has "", such as:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
In one of the examples above, CTC "" normally (i.e. with the custom text box off) results in "Click to Continue" slowly flashing, waiting for a click or keypress. With the custom text box on, it leads to an exception.

3. FWIW, this issue hasn't persisted for long. It started to appear only an update or two ago. I'm not completely sure and may be wrong about this, though.

The following is more of a request for improvement:​

4. As a side note, it'd be very nice to be able to use the original alignment in "Full" mode in the Textbox customizer. Currently, the left alignment aligns text all the way to the left, which is why I exclusively use "Light" mode to retain the original alignment.

5. In the Textbox customizer, it'd also be neat to be able to choose to retain the original font as intended by the game author, though I suspect this may not be trivial to implement.

View attachment traceback My First Love.txt
View attachment traceback The Hellcat Lounge.txt

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
am i doing sth wrong or does this not work with town of magic?
You mean you're getting:
Exception: Could not find font '0x52-URM/framework/Roboto-Regular.ttf' ?
I did some digging, but I'm not sure why this happens. Might look into this later.

Doesn't work in the game A Wife at Stake. No error messages, just don't launch.

Btw Extended Variable Viewer by anne O'nymous doesn't work either, also without errors.
They modified the Ren'Py code to have custom .rpa files.
Here's a fix:
  1. Open renpy/loader.rpy in a texteditor
  2. At line 174 you'll find return [ b"TR0UDCUL" ] (make sure you change this one under "RPAv2ArchiveHandler", because there's another at line 127, which you should NOT change)
  3. Change the line to return [ b"RPA-2.0" ]
  4. Save it and launch the game
Seems like the progressbar still needs work (tried it on a few games and it never ended at 100 lol, often near 60 or 40, only tried it 2 times though)
The progressbar will show the amount of content seen, it's rare for it to get at a 100%, because that would mean you have seen every possible path

Hi! THX for mod!
This is the first time I have encountered such a problem. In game Seeds of Chaos, choices are detected in the watch panel, but notification does not appear. How can this be fixed?
Took me a while to figure out, but they're using Ren'Py 6.99.9 code, which causes the notifications to not show. Upgrading it to 6.99.14 breaks the game's dialogue

2. The game raises an exception whenever it encounters any line that has "", such as:
In one of the examples above, CTC "" normally (i.e. with the custom text box off) results in "Click to Continue" slowly flashing, waiting for a click or keypress. With the custom text box on, it leads to an exception.
Light mode can be tricky, because it relies on the game's dialogue design.
I would recommend using the full mode.

4. As a side note, it'd be very nice to be able to use the original alignment in "Full" mode in the Textbox customizer. Currently, the left alignment aligns text all the way to the left, which is why I exclusively use "Light" mode to retain the original alignment.
No this is not possible, but you should be able to align the text any way you like in full mode

5. In the Textbox customizer, it'd also be neat to be able to choose to retain the original font as intended by the game author, though I suspect this may not be trivial to implement.
I did think about this, but it's not possible to implement this reliably

5.00 star(s) 36 Votes