Ren'Py Unlimited save slots

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there's a way to enable unlimited save slots in Ren'Py [...]
Yes there's one : Just click on the >...
By default the number of the slots page is an unlimited integer, and the value of an integer isn't limited in Python ; Python just change from integer to long integer, then to something else, as long as there's enough available space in the memory.
So, by default the number of save slots is : unlimited pages x 6 slots by pages.

Reactions: RAymend037890

RAymend037890

Apr 21, 2018
Yes there's one : Just click on the >...
By default the number of the slots page is an unlimited integer, and the value of an integer isn't limited in Python ; Python just change from integer to long integer, then to something else, as long as there's enough available space in the memory.
So, by default the number of save slots is : unlimited pages x 6 slots by pages.
Not sure I understand. Which file would I need to open?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Depends on the RenPy game.

Most RenPy game use the standard interface. When you load/save, there's a bar at the bottom of the page that looks like
< A Q 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >, with "A" being auto-saves and "Q" being quick-saves.
Which gives the impression there are only 9 save pages.

However, if you go to page 9 and then press the ">" button - it will advance to page 10 and onward. There is no upper limit (well, no practical one). Want to save on page 385?... You can.

Accordingly because there's no limit, there are effectively an unlimited number of save slots.

It's possible to change the default UI to show more than 9 pages, or hide the auto-save page or hide the quick-save page. But that isn't the nature of your question.

So the answer, as Anne says, is to just press the ">" button and use as many save pages as you want.

All that said, if the particular game you are playing has either created its own Save/Load pages or hidden the save/load navigation bar at the bottom of the screen - then your options are a lot more limited. It is possible to create a keybind to scroll forward/backward as if you are using the "<" and ">" buttons - but there's no point explaining that if you are already playing a "standard UI" game.

RAymend037890

Apr 21, 2018
Thanks all for your replies. I tried so myself and was surprised that it truly stopped at 9 and no amount of arrow pressing was advancing the page. Tried to open the files but they are unclear. Anyways, I don't need it anymore but thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Which game?

Which operating system?

It's kinda unusual if you're seeing the "normal" UI display the 9 pages and the arrows aren't actually doing anything.
I get you "don't need it anymore", but it'll bug me (briefly) if I don't ask.

RAymend037890

Apr 21, 2018
Which game?

Which operating system?

It's kinda unusual if you're seeing the "normal" UI display the 9 pages and the arrows aren't actually doing anything.
I get you "don't need it anymore", but it'll bug me (briefly) if I don't ask.
The game's Red Embrace: Hollywood. Currently using Windows 10.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The game's Red Embrace: Hollywood. Currently using Windows 10.
I haven't played it, but I assume that they decided to limit the number of save slots, which mean that you need to edit the source code, or find a mod that do it for you.

Reactions: RAymend037890

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Yup. They limited the number of save slots by creating their own custom save/load screen.

Download the attached "screens.rpy" file and stick it in your /game/ folder.

The arrows will now work beyond page 9. Also there are keybinds for PrevPage "[" and NextPage "]".
It'll also tell you what page you are on too.

To anyone wondering about the game, I found it here:

(well, I found it elsewhere, but that's the final link)

It's a gothic vampire VN with adult themes.
A really well produced game, albeit not a sexual one as far as I can see.

Last edited:

RAymend037890

Apr 21, 2018
Yup. They limited the number of save slots by creating their own custom save/load screen.

Download the attached "screens.rpy" file and stick it in your /game/ folder.

The arrows will now work beyond page 9. Also there are keybinds for PrevPage "[" and NextPage "]".
It'll also tell you what page you are on too.

To anyone wondering about the game, I found it here:

(well, I found it elsewhere, but that's the final link)

It's a gothic vampire VN with adult themes.
A really well produced game, albeit not a sexual one as far as I can see.
Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 79flavors

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Thanks for the help!
Sorry to respond to this so late, but depending on the game, you might not want to do this. If the author has made a custom save UI, this might create visual glitches at best, and compatibilty issues with old saves/custom UI changes at worst. If the game uses the default Ren'py UI this is fine, but if not you just want to take this short bit of code I'm about to link and place it at the bottom of the save init in the screens file, which will allow for the page scroll functionality regardless of the game UI. So in the screens file, you want to search for the line that reads

init -501 screen file_slots(title):

At the bottom of this section, before the next "init", you want to past this script:

hbox:
style_prefix "page"
xalign 0.5
yalign 1.0
spacing gui.page_spacing
textbutton _("<") action FilePagePrevious()
for page in range(1, 10):
textbutton "[page]" action FilePage(page)
textbutton _(">") action FilePageNext()

That will create an infinite number of scrolling pages with the UI at the bottom-center of the screen without interfering with any custom UI changes. Now, some people are super anal and make different loading screens for main screen *cough* Caizer Games *cough* so you might have to search for something like load_main and paste the script under that as well. Make sure your indentation lines up properly with any existing script under the init. The hbox: should be aligned with a line that will typically read "fixed:" and the script under hbox should be indented 4 spaces to the right, using single spaces; tabs are not allowed in Ren'py.

Reactions: ~ AzzWader ~
Apr 26, 2021
is there's a anyway to make unlimited save slots for renpy game name Motherless?
this game has 999 save slot.
i wanna make it more (like 9999).
if there is,please tell me.
tnx

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
is there's a anyway to make unlimited save slots for renpy game name Motherless?
this game has 999 save slot.
i wanna make it more (like 9999).
if there is,please tell me.
tnx
That's 999 pages with 6 slots on every page. So there's someone that either has patience to click ">" a thousand times to find the save limit or really has 6k saves
hb.gif

Anyway, there's FilePageNext(max=999) in screens.rpy, just remove max=999 and it should work, I really don't want to check if it works but I don't see why it wouldn't

Reactions: JBNYC1