Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
View attachment 599563

I keep getting this error when trying to unpack the rpa files in the game "Echoes of Lust". I'm using the latest version of unren posted here and still getting this error. Any ideas of what I may or may not be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Edit:

It works fine on other games, this seems to be the only one.
Do you have write access to that directory? It can't find _rpatool.py, but UnRen unpacks _rpatool.py when it launches.

Did you run 2 copies of UnRen at the same time? When the first quits, it would delete _rpatool.py, and then the second wouldn't be able to find it.

Reactions: ive_got-problems

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
I keep getting this error when trying to unpack the rpa files in the game "Echoes of Lust".
I checked the game, unpacked it without issue and the RPA files are standard Ren'py.

Like goobdoob say'd, i think you have some problem with the game dirs permissions OR you made some mistake. Possible unpack again, check rights, watch your Unren usage steps etc. Good luck!

ive_got-problems

Mar 21, 2018
Do you have write access to that directory? It can't find _rpatool.py, but UnRen unpacks _rpatool.py when it launches.

Did you run 2 copies of UnRen at the same time? When the first quits, it would delete _rpatool.py, and then the second wouldn't be able to find it.
I checked the game, unpacked it without issue and the RPA files are standard Ren'py.

Like goobdoob say'd, i think you have some problem with the game dirs permissions OR you made some mistake. Possible unpack again, check rights, watch your Unren usage steps etc. Good luck!
Hey, thanks for the replies. No, I've only got it running one time. And it's in the same folder I put all my games in, so I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work for this one specifically. It does everything else just fine, like enabling developer mode, rollback, skipping and such. It just doesn't want to unpack the rpa files for some reason lol. I'll try to delete and unzip the file again though and see if that helps.

ive_got-problems

Mar 21, 2018
Well, I deleted and uzipped the folder again, still didn't work. Installed a windows update and rebooted and now it worked just fine. Not sure if it was just a reboot was needed or what, but all is well. Sorry to waste you guys time! lol

Thanks again!

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Ah. No problem friend. Good to hear it works now.

I dont believe i say this, but i think the reboot was it. :oops: If nothing goes - kick it. Softly.

t727

Jan 4, 2018
I'm sorry to report that The Tyrant v.0.9 doesn't work with either of the two .8 versions of this tool.
The images are corrupt somehow, I don't know why.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
No I'm not. They have .jpg as file extension.
But are they .webp?
I haven't played this game since a long time, but it's a reasonable guess to think that they are in WEBP format. Especially since Ren'py don't care about the extension, just about the effective format as stated by the file signature.

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Just for info. Hopeful useful for some readers.
Ren'py don't care about the extension, just about the effective format as stated by the file signature.
Nothing (regular) in IT cares what the file extension says.
The ext is part of the filename, all the same free of choice what one writes there and more for convenience so it's obvious what the user deals with as anything else. Unfortunately with the freedom what you call the file comes also misinformation like in this case.
If a user wants to be sure the try right click > file info or over console the filemagic.

Code:
olli@tty0*blue $ file .bashrc
.bashrc: ASCII text
(~)
olli@tty0*blue $ file Downloads/pinkchicken.rubberfoot
Downloads/pinkchicken.rubberfoot: Python script, ASCII text executable
(~)
olli@tty0*blue $ file Bilder/Local_Group_and_nearest_galaxies.gif
Bilder/Local_Group_and_nearest_galaxies.gif: RIFF (little-endian) data, Web/P image
(~)
Note the extensions of the second and third files and the output. I renamed them simply, with *cough cough* a little bit fantasy added in.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Nothing (regular) in IT cares what the file extension says.
Thank you for explaining what the, "the effective format as stated by the file signature", from the sentence you quoted, mean.

t727

Jan 4, 2018
Thank you for explaining what the, "the effective format as stated by the file signature", from the sentence you quoted, mean.
Good isn't it?
I was confused because I suspected the unpacker to store the file with the correct file extension.

So instead of arguing whose the most knowing "IT-person" of you two, your suggestion solved the problem I was having perhaps we can leave it at that?

LeFapman

Oct 29, 2018
Thanks, Sam! Worked out swell for Insexual Awakening v1.0. I'm so glad to not have to replay from the beggining games I already completed. Just wanted to check out some scenes, some parts of the story, and farm for stuff all over again is so boring! This .bat file made my day

Lunarlord17

Jul 29, 2019
im new to the unren.bat program. i have followed the instructions but cant seem to modify the game at all. isthere a step that a noob wouldnt know about?

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
im new to the unren.bat program. i have followed the instructions but cant seem to modify the game at all. isthere a step that a noob wouldnt know about?
No. The instructions are pretty straightforward; usually when it doesn't work for someone, they put it in the wrong directory.

Tell us what you did, and what you see happening. Include any error messages.

timothyalvedez

Aug 5, 2019
Bit of a weird problem. The rollback works for a while and then stops working? It starts working again when i rerun the bat file

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
You should give more informations about your problem and the steps you did take.
  • The games name "could" also of use.
  • Any mods installed or savegames from other people in use or old saves?
  • Did you change any files of the game?
  • When the problem happened, was the file "UnRen" has written ("unren-rollback.rpy") still in "../<BaseGameDir>/game" and the content ok?
Besides this, it sounds really strange to me. Could be bad written code of the game author which breaks stuff.

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes