Daz Updating Geometry Render Freeze?

JohnSheridan

Apr 13, 2018
I set up some renders over night and when I come in the next day it has been frozen for hours.
I think I've narrowed it down to a specific character who has been in both renders this has happened to.
I've very new to Daz so I'm wondering how I go about trouble shooting this?
Should I just recreate the character and see what happens or is there a way to determine what is causing this?
Thanks for any help or advice.
Trouble Shoot.jpg

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Just to narrow it down a touch, what does your hardware situation look like? Namely, CPU, GPU, and RAM.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
CPU: AMD Ryzen7 3800X 8-Core
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
RAM: 128 GB
Likely not a hardware/compatibility issue, then. The only time I've ever gotten this error was a figure that had too high of a SubD that came SubD 5, which is absurd (somewhere in the ballpark of 30 million polygons, which will absolutely tank even a high-end rig's performance). The most you'll ever need for an AVN, more often than not, is 3. If it's higher than that on either of the figures, it could theoretically be causing it to hang. I'd double check on those. Here's what you should look for, your focus should be on Render SubD (though viewport SubD could help if you tend to work with Iray Preview on):

subd.png

Recreating the scene isn't going to fix the problem if you don't know what it is. It could a nasty hair asset, the aforementioned SubD. I'd also try looking at your render settings. Make sure "Render Quality" is off/not enabled. Turn "Max Time (Secs)" to 0, and your sample anywhere from 1500 to 5000, depending on the quality you're rendering at. I'm assuming 1080p with those specs? So anything between 1500 and 3000 should be more than enough with an external denoiser taking care of anything else.

Just to eliminate the possibility, go to Render Settings > Advanced > Uncheck anything CPU-related > Restart Daz.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I'd also try looking at your render settings. Make sure "Render Quality" is off/not enabled. Turn "Max Time (Secs)" to 0, and your sample anywhere from 1500 to 5000, depending on the quality you're rendering at. I'm assuming 1080p with those specs? So anything between 1500 and 3000 should be more than enough with an external denoiser taking care of anything else.
And as a rule always restart Daz Studio before launching a batch rendering session, and don't try to batch too many files at once. It's hard to quantify precisely because each render is different and will need more or less time to be processed, but globally it will need at least 1% more time for each render he previously done.
It's not too sensible when it's basic renders with a recent GPU, but when it's a complex scene rendered in a 20xx, and that is the last of a series on 20, the difference can easily reach a full hour compared to the same scene rendered after a restart of Daz.

Like it's a memory management issue, it can also be the cause of the freeze. I know that I witnessed it happen few times during my own tries. Daz Studio doing nothing at all (the CUDA meter being at 0%) for around 15 minutes, I kill Daz Studio, and when I try to render the scene again, it works fine.

Another possibility is to set the render setting at really low quality, for it to be fast enough, then hide this or that in the scene, to find what asset can be the cause of the freeze/slowdown.
To turn the render setting at really low quality you can use the attached Daz script if you want.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
always restart Daz Studio before launching a batch rendering session, and don't try to batch too many files at once.
I believe that at least one of the batch render scripts restarts daz between each queued scene, precisely to help avoid out-of-memory or "daz weirdness" crashes.

youbet567

Jun 21, 2023
Get GPUz and start the iray preview before you render
check the memory usage so its within those 8gb? of gpu ram

if its close use mid to high for the texture compression method

Last edited:

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I believe that at least one of the batch render scripts restarts daz between each queued scene, precisely to help avoid out-of-memory or "daz weirdness" crashes.
Render Queue 3 offer the option, but you have to set it yourself. I usually set it to restart Daz after 10 or so renders, depending on how many there are.

Reactions: osanaiko

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Iirc, few figures have baked HD morphs at SubD 4.
For AVNs, I'd recommend against using them regardless. I feel like HD morphs are largely reserved for one-off renders.

Abacus_Games

Dec 11, 2022
It's not the OOT hair bug, right?
Are the characters in question using OOT hair?
(Although I would assume you have previewed in iray before commiting to render though... and if that worked it probably isn't that bug)

If so you could try to select the hair and open it in the Surfaces tab. Scroll down to Transmission Color and set it to None. Save the scene. That should clear the problem if it was the OOT bug.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
It's not the OOT hair bug, right?
Are the characters in question using OOT hair?
(Although I would assume you have previewed in iray before commiting to render though... and if that worked it probably isn't that bug)

If so you could try to select the hair and open it in the Surfaces tab. Scroll down to Transmission Color and set it to None. Save the scene. That should clear the problem if it was the OOT bug.
I'm putting my money on this guy. In the last few months, these kinds of issues come down to OOT hairs 86.3% of the time.