Using Daz3d Assets for Adult Game Development in Unreal

RenzloDRXXX

Feb 14, 2022
Building off what I posted before, you can use the Accumulate Lerp node in control rig to slow down the movement of the head and the eyes, so that they don't always immediately face the target (in my case, the camera) which is a bit unnatural. It takes time for you to move your head to look at something in real life!

Lower blend value = longer the delay. I have it setup so that the eye blend value is higher than the head/neck (because eyes move faster than your head)
Looks great if not perfect ☺

Reactions: Dilly_

zeus201677

May 24, 2017
how do we fix the terrible bends on glutes knees and elbows after export?
before.png before export
Screenshot 2023-02-10 182822.png after export

Last edited:

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
how do we fix the terrible bends on glutes knees and elbows after export?
View attachment 2381841 before export
View attachment 2381842 after export
If this is Blender, and you are exporting with Diffeomorphic, there is a checkbox to add JCMs (joint corrective morphs) that will help with this. Also make sure "preserve volume" is enabled on your armature modifier.

If you are exporting into UE, the Daz to UE bridge comes with an animation blueprint with morph drivers to provide the same function with the JCMs. However, you will need to build from source a custom version of UE with Dual Quaternion skinning enabled for the best results.

If you are using Unity, you will need to set up the JCMs yourself and explore other ways to enable DQ skinning.

Dark Erotic 3D

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2021
If this is Blender, and you are exporting with Diffeomorphic, there is a checkbox to add JCMs (joint corrective morphs) that will help with this. Also make sure "preserve volume" is enabled on your armature modifier.

If you are exporting into UE, the Daz to UE bridge comes with an animation blueprint with morph drivers to provide the same function with the JCMs. However, you will need to build from source a custom version of UE with Dual Quaternion skinning enabled for the best results.

If you are using Unity, you will need to set up the JCMs yourself and explore other ways to enable DQ skinning.
Thanks Dilly, as always filled with knowledge. Do you have any links that walkthrough the UE DQ build from source? I don’t know the first thing about how to do that.

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Thanks Dilly, as always filled with knowledge. Do you have any links that walkthrough the UE DQ build from source? I don’t know the first thing about how to do that.
The instructions provided on the page for any UE fork are pretty easy to follow. They use the Github Desktop app to clone the repo so you can do it using something with a GUI. You just have to remember to select the correct branch once you've cloned the repo. If you want to be absolutely certain you don't miss any steps, you can follow video and do it via console. It's not difficult at all as it's just following instructions, you just have to wait a bit for it to compile (2-3 hours from start to finish, depends on your hardware).

Reactions: Dark Erotic 3D

zeus201677

May 24, 2017
hey thanks for the reply i appreciate it, ive tried JCM approach but it didnt work at all.
so

I found out with research that this can be solved by using dual quaternion bends, i built ue4 from source that was modded for DQ bending. couple problems along the way, like for a while i couldnt build lighting but figured out in vs i had to run it in "development editor" mode, then to get daz to unreal plugin to work in i had to add the plugin from daz it asks where to install the plugin to unreal, then i had to build it again "another 6 hour build" xD after i realized i had to enable ray tracing to enable the skin cache coz the face was falling off, then i had to solve was the import options in the daz options in the project settings for ue4, had to uncheck the options then check frame 0 is ref pose, and combine materials check boxes and reimport. in daz i set eye lashes and grafts to "autofollow" and the lashes move with the head and interacts with other facial morphs...
I got it to work and it bends just like daz.

it took me more than a week to develop this solution hope it helps someone in need!

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
hey thanks for the reply i appreciate it, ive tried JCM approach but it didnt work at all.
so

I found out with research that this can be solved by using dual quaternion bends, i built ue4 from source that was modded for DQ bending. couple problems along the way, like for a while i couldnt build lighting but figured out in vs i had to run it in "development editor" mode, then to get daz to unreal plugin to work in i had to add the plugin from daz it asks where to install the plugin to unreal, then i had to build it again "another 6 hour build" xD after i realized i had to enable ray tracing to enable the skin cache coz the face was falling off, then i had to solve was the import options in the daz options in the project settings for ue4, had to uncheck the options then check frame 0 is ref pose, and combine materials check boxes and reimport. in daz i set eye lashes and grafts to "autofollow" and the lashes move with the head and interacts with other facial morphs...
I got it to work and it bends just like daz.

it took me more than a week to develop this solution hope it helps someone in need!
JCMs are meant to be used in conjunction with DQ skinning, they don't provide much benefit on their own without it. There are now "Fake DQ morphs" provided by the Daz to UE bridge that are meant to emulate the effect you get with JCMs using DQ skinning, however the result from actual DQ skinning is still superior. Lots of folks are also looking into ML deformer currently as a replacement for JCMs altogether, which hopefully happens soon.

Reactions: zeus201677

zeus201677

May 24, 2017
the quality of modded ue4 is far better than the results i had with morphs, i did find that ue3 had DQ initially but it was scrapped due to extensive time it took each build, giving ive done the build i can understand that now, but id love to see dq in future releases, i haven't had ANY progress in doing any type of jcm at all, is this possible without custom build or is it inevitable?

also ill link the ue4 build here if its allowed from git, you gotta link unreal account to git just for this to appear otherwise it will 404 out.

if it isnt allowed please forgive me it is only for the progress of art.
"screen shots from a forum explaining DQ in unreal"