Using "generic" art for non important characters

Dark_Sytze

Mar 22, 2021
Hi all,

For a while I've been struggling with making a game now, and today I found a possible solution that could improve my game while at the same time making it less work.
The solution would be, to use sort of generic art for non important character. E.g. instead of rending an image for each character that passes, paying attention to detail etc. I now just do a quick render, turn the lightness down all the way, so only a basic silhouette remains. This way you do see an image for soldier 1 when they talk, but I don't have to spend an hour making a perfect render. On top it allows me to reuse assets.

What are the thoughts on this? Ofcourse for important characters they do get a fully fleshed out sprite, with different emotions etc.

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Hi all,

For a while I've been struggling with making a game now, and today I found a possible solution that could improve my game while at the same time making it less work.
The solution would be, to use sort of generic art for non important character. E.g. instead of rending an image for each character that passes, paying attention to detail etc. I now just do a quick render, turn the lightness down all the way, so only a basic silhouette remains. This way you do see an image for soldier 1 when they talk, but I don't have to spend an hour making a perfect render. On top it allows me to reuse assets.

What are the thoughts on this? Ofcourse for important characters they do get a fully fleshed out sprite, with different emotions etc.

Example with DOF:

ch2partymo03.png

Try to find billboards. :)

Dark_Sytze

Mar 22, 2021

Example with DOF:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Try to find billboards. :)
Not exactly what I meant, I'm going for the visual novel style, where if a character talks you will see their person/sprite or whatever you call it on either the left or right of the screen. So my idea is, for non important characters this sprite will show the silhouette of a person only, no details etc. As these are essentially throw away characters that might say one or two lines and have no actual personality. (see example below compared to underneath what I use for an important character)
soldier.png naamah armor_smug.png

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Not exactly what I meant, I'm going for the visual novel style, where if a character talks you will see their person/sprite or whatever you call it on either the left or right of the screen. So my idea is, for non important characters this sprite will show the silhouette of a person only, no details etc. As these are essentially throw away characters that might say one or two lines and have no actual personality. (see example below compared to underneath what I use for an important character)
View attachment 1557038 View attachment 1557039
Then the problem simply requires a +1 step.

1. You make your own billboards or use the standard ones.
2. Place them around the stage.
3. Render them on a transparent background or white (no surroundings or main characters) with the lighting set to zero. You get a black and white or black-transparent mask. Very fast ~100-200 passes is ok.

ComposeMask.png

4. The second pass makes the environment and main characters (possibly two passes, since billboards and other scene elements may overlap).
5. Combine the layers in Photoshop.
6. This is the fastest way, tested.