Variant of the text game.

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Перед тем как добавить игру в раздел игры я решил выложить её здесь. Это короткая игра сделанная в текстовом режиме с пару добавленных картинок. То есть много читать, мало смотреть. Рассказ у которого будет где то семь различных вариантов концовок, поэтому я его и сделал в виде игры. Выложил здесь чтобы понять имеет ли месту быть такой формат в раздели игры или не стоит дальше делать.

Before adding the game to the games section, I decided to post it here. This is a short game made in text mode with a couple of added pictures. That is, a lot of reading, little watching. A story that will have about seven different endings, so I made it in the form of a game. I posted it here to understand whether there is a place to have such a format in a stripped game or not to do it further.

Сюжет и игровой процесс Story and gameplay
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Вопросы и просьбы. Questions and requests.

Ссылки на игру. Links to the game.

Персонажи. Characters.

Остальное. Rest.

Last edited:

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Hello, due to the fact this is an English forum I suggest you invert the paragraphs in the future, English first, Russian second.
I'll play your game now.

There is a bug when I press "Start game" button:
Schermata da 2022-04-30 12-23-35.png

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Hello, due to the fact this is an English forum I suggest you invert the paragraphs in the future, English first, Russian second.
I'll play your game now.

View attachment 1785217
Вижу. Пять минут и поправлю. Написал лишнего.
I see. Five minutes and I'll fix it. Wrote too much.

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
I'll play your game now.

Готово. Исправил и обновил ссылки на игру. Проверил, всё работает.
Ready. Fixed and updated links to the game. Checked, everything works.

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Добавил продолжения сюжета. Ещё минимум пол часа к тому что уже есть. Теперь есть выбор к кому пойти. Можно выбрать Лиля или Настя. Так что теперь два варианта из семи готовы.

Поиграл с нейросетью. Как сгенерированная внешность в сравнении с тому что в игре? Добавил картинки с персонажами в неё, вот так бы они выглядели если бы было больше реалистичности. Это для разнообразия. Не то что ожидал но довольно реалистично. Даже если бы делал в Daz то всё равно было бы видно отличие.

Added continuation of the story. At least half an hour more to what is already there. Now there is a choice to whom to go. You can choose Lily or Nastya. So now two options out of seven are ready.

Played with the neural network. How is the generated appearance compared to what is in the game? I added pictures with characters to it, this is how they would look if there was more realism. This is for variety. Not what I expected but quite realistic. Even if I did it in Daz, the difference would still be visible.

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Добавил ещё одно продолжение. В общей сложности если все варианты проходить и всё читать то займёт более полутора часов. Помимо английского языка решил попробовать сделать перевод на японский. Перевод сделан и добавлен, но у меня не настроен для японских версий и выдаёт ошибку. Поэтому кнопку я убрал. У вас может быть по другому. Так что если надо поиграть на японском то добавьте кнопку в файл screens.rpy вот эту строчку
textbutton "Japanese" action Language("japanese")
Чтобы было как на картинке и у вас появиться кнопка переключения на японский язык.
Всё ещё не видел ни одного комментария относительно этой текстовой игры.

Картинка с местом как сделать кнопку и как должно выглядеть.
A picture with a place how to make a button and how it should look.

Added another extension. In total, if you go through all the options and read everything, it will take more than an hour and a half. In addition to English, I decided to try to translate into Japanese. The translation has been made and added, but I have not set it up for Japanese versions and gives an error. So I removed the button. Yours may be different. So if you need to play in Japanese, then add a button to the screens.rpy file with this line
textbutton "Japanese" action Language("Japanese")
So that it is like in the picture and you will have a button to switch to Japanese.
Still haven't seen any comments regarding this text game.

Zoran89

Aug 20, 2020
Hello again.
Since you've taken the time to look at my recent post, I thought it would only be fair if I had a look at whatever you've created and gave my own thoughts on it.

The first thing is something I've also mentioned in my own thread, that is the action descriptors.
I see that you are often falling back on the

"Yes" - [Name] agreed with her
"Hello" - [Name] answered.
"Same way" - [Name] Answered honestly.

style of writing. If used sporadically, this can work in a book, but in the visual novel medium, I feel like it comes off as clumsy. What do I mean by that - when two characters say "Hello" to each other, it is obvious that the second one answers the first one. And because it is obvious, your action description does not bring me any new, useful information, but rather it serves as something I believe the professionals call "padding" - an artificial way of making the script longer, without actually saying anything useful.

Also, consider this: you can convey an information without stating it outright - in fact, it is very often better to do so.
For example, you could write
A: We are having guests tonight - A has said
B: You are joking - B answered, surprised. She's just been out of the bath, and the information caught her unaware.

But you could also write
A: We are having guests tonight
B: You are joking - B's eyes opened wide, and she turned her head to look straight at A, with the sudden motion throwing off the towel, wrapped around her wet hair.

For one, you don't need to mention that "A" said something, because that is already self-evident from the dialogue.
As for B's answer, instead of saying "B was surprised", you can say "B raised her eyebrows and opened her mouth wide". Instead of saying "B got angry", you can say "B tightened her fists and clenched her teeth". By doing this, not only are you dodging the trap of writing like it's an elementary school essay ("Today I went to a park. There were a lot of flowers there. They were very pretty."), but depending on the words used, you can create a different sort of mood:

"B fell silent, and with a sharp look, she made it clear that she didn't appreciate this sort of news being sprung on her out of nowhere"

"B fell silent and turned back to her PC, continuing her work. Click. Click. She misplaced the folder. FUCK! - she cried out, throwing her mouse against the desk - she then slumped back into her chair, with one of her hands clutching the bridge of her nose, and the other wrapping around her waist"

"B's nostrils flared up, and as her blood's pressure rose, her face became red - I TOLD YOU TO MENTION THESE THINGS TO ME EARLIER, FOR GOD'S SAKE!"

These three all describe anger, but in a very different manner - depending on what sort of atmosphere you want to have, these sorts of descriptions might work better than a simple "B got angry" for example.
---------------------------------------------------
Another thing is that, I don't know if I simply wasn't paying attention, but at least during the first scene, if I haven't seen your post above, I would have no idea which girl is which. This is a major problem for a visual medium, since if I can't connect the dialogue to the character's face, the characters will start to blend together, and as the end result, I will feel like they are just cardboard cutouts, placed there for the convenience of the story, rather than a representation of a living, breathing human being.

What I mentioned in one of my other posts, you want the reader to connect emotionally to the story, because that's how your story becomes memorable. In order to make the reader care about the story, they need to connect emotionally to the characters, though - and for that, the character needs to have a very vivid image in the reader's mind.

This doesn't necessarily mean you have to show their face - even a hooded, faceless character can become memorable, if he's the only hooded, faceless character. But when he's just one of one hundred hooded, faceless characters, people will stop caring about him, because in their minds he won't be distinctive any more. The same thing applies to characters with faces.

I would advise to not skimp out on the CGs so much, and get some more shots - as it is now, even adding a single talking CG per girl, would be MUCH better. It still wouldn't be great, but it would definitely be better than what you have right now. Either that, or somehow convey through the text which girl is which - I would say this is more important right now, rather than telling me a character B is answering character A when they say a line in response to something A has said first.

EDIT: OK, going past all the three first choices, I see that you do show the girls on the CGs, which is good, but I would still say that it is a little confusing.
If you find making and framing multiple CG shots a problem, you could always try going the classic VN style, and create a static sprite of the character talking, and use Ren'Py to show that sprite on the screen only when said character is actively speaking. This would make it much more readable, I believe.

Last edited:

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Hello again.
Почитал. Согласен с тем что так как я мало кто делает при написании диалогов персонажей. Когда пишу диалоги я использую стиль рассказа при написании и только потом переношу это в игру. При написание текста я пишу так.
- Иди сюда. - сказала она. Это для того что бы не запутаться кто сказал. Но иногда мне кажется уместным добавить к диалогу даже простое выражение сказала она. Это не мешает и не растягивает игру так как это всё в одном диалоговом окне и в одной сцене.
Насчёт описание персонажей. Я в игре добавил кнопку в углу которая открывает меню с описанием персонаже.
Визуальная часть. Знаю что мало и если добавить то могло быть и лучше. Оставил всё в текстовом формате так как уверен что не смогу хорошо и полностью реализовать то что написано в тексте. Поэтому игра как я уже написал ранее не разделе игр а здесь.

I read it. I agree that since I don't do much when writing characters' dialogues. When I write dialogue, I use the style of the story when writing and only then transfer it to the game. When writing a text, I write like this.
- Come here. - she said. This is so as not to get confused by who said. But sometimes it seems appropriate to me to add even a simple expression to the dialogue, she said. It doesn't interfere or stretch the game as it's all in one dialog box and in one scene.
About character descriptions. I added a button in the corner in the game that opens a menu with a description of the character.
Visual part. I know that it is not enough and if you add it could be better. I left everything in text format, because I am sure that I will not be able to fully and well implement what is written in the text. Therefore, the game, as I wrote earlier, is not in the games section, but here.