Collection - VN - Others - Completed - VenusBlood FRONTIER International [v1.09 + Fandiscs] [Dual Tail & Ninetail]

1. 4.00 star(s)

youmustbejoking

Do you like Norse mythology? Do you like turn-based strategy games? Do you like visual novels? Do you LOVE tentacles? Well then this just might be the game for you. Probably. But also probably not.

In this riveting TBS/VN hybrid you play the role of Loki, a low level member of the Dark Lord's Surtr court of demons. Surtr has set his eyes on the floating continent of Yggdrasil, the home of the Asgardian gods. He tasks his heirs, including you, to go out and conquer this fabled land by any means necessary. Of course, Loki has to contend not only with the goddesses who rule over Yggdrasil, but also with his siblings who are vying for the same goal as he is....

That's sort of the gist of the story. Basically your job is to recruit monsters and send them to battle against the armies of Yggdrasil in order to conquer the entire land for the glory of Surtr. Whoever wins will become the next Dark Lord. Simple, no?

Well let's talk a little bit about the story and characters here. Although the story itself isn't that bad, I wouldn't exactly call it good either. While it does contain several twists and turns, some surprising some not, the problem lies withing the overall quality of the writing. Honestly it just was less engaging than what I expected to be. Part of the problem is Loki himself. I just didn't like the character at all. Yes, he IS an asshole but that wasn't the issue. Rance is also an asshole and everybody who plays his games love him. The problem with Loki is that he lacks any charisma. He's a gary stu and nothing more. He succeeds in his trials not because he is particularly smart or competent, but because he is the main character and this is what the story expects him to do.

As a slight spoiler, at one point it is revealed that he has a secret power (ZOMG!!!111one) which involves him transforming himself into an alter ego of his called Hvedrung, thus gaining tremendous power. He basically goes super sayian. Whole not particularly interesting either, I enjoyed Hvedrung more than Loki and I would have prefered it if the story was about him.

The rest of the characters are also quite bland, with maybe a couple of exceptions. Sadly the main waifus don't fare very well in this regard either.

One key feature of this franchise is that this is a corruption series, meaning that you capture waifus and then you corrupt them using tentacles, slowly turning them to the dark side so to speak. Or not. It's your choice if you want to be a goody two shoes, or if you want to mind-break them beyond the point of no return. One good aspect is that the godesses' personalities change somewhat depending on wether they remain pure or fall to the dark side, which is a very nice touch. They retain their core personalities, but they become more twisted as a result of Loki's corruption. Personally I enjoyed their depraved side a lot more than their usual selves, and it's probably how the writers intended things to go in the first place.

Speaking about the H-scenes, in case you couldn't tell this game leans into the hardcore side of things. I'll be honest and say that a good portion of the scenes were way too fucked up for my taste, but I'm sure that many would disagree. There are some milder scenes here and there too, but be warned that if you came here looking for some love-dovey time with waifus then you've come to the wrong place.

Let's talk a little bit about each goddess. There's five of them in total:

The first one is Tyrca who is pretty much your average nice girl. You know the type. All motherly and sweet. Once she gets corrupted though, her motherly instincts take a very dark and twisted turn. As far as intensity goes, her scenes are some of the most out there, especially towards the end if you're doing the evil route. Not for the faint of heart.

The second godess is Freya, the obligatory MILF. She has BIG BOBA and that's kinda the gist of it I suppose. As far as intensity goes her scenes aren't as hardcore when it comes to tentacles and shit, however many of the scenes towards the end feature shota and I hate that shit with a burning passion.

Third one is Thor. She is loud and kinda dumb, but she is fun in her own way. Her scenes are the most "normal" and vanilla out of all of them (if you can call ANY of this shit vanilla or normal). One of my favorite goddess overall.

And then we have Rigret. She is called that because the post-nut rigret is going to hit you like a mac truck after this one. She is a very shy and petite girl so of course the writers just had to give her the most fucked up scenes. Most of them involve anal. Ugh. Many of them also involve bugs. Fuck you, Klaus. Two nukes were not nearly enough.

Lastly we have their leader, who else but Odin herself! She's the most fun out of all of them in my opinion. It also helped that her scenes were lower on the intensity when compared to some of the others such as Rigret *shudder*. Probably best girl overall but like I said they are all pretty generic and don't really stand out all that much.

BUT WAIT! There's more! You didn't think Loki would contend with just five women did you? Well of course not. There's also his cousins (queue "Sweet Home Alabama") who also just happen to be his rivals. If you beat them in battle they might just join your side, and maybe even in bed *nudge nudge wink wink*. I'll quickly go over them since they stand out even less than the godesses:

Hel is the eldest and acts the role of stronk competent womyn, but if you defeat her in battle she quickly becomes a submissive little puppy. Speaking of which, Fenrir is a total she-wolf and an ara-ara onee-san with BIG BOBA just like Freya. Last we have Jorm who is a retarded little brat with a big chip on her shoulder, but that's ok because you guys can learn to get along eventually.

Other than that there are a few more side bitches that you get to shag after doing certain events, but the one who stands out the most out of all the female characters is your maid Fena. Man, what I wouldn't give for a maid like her in my life. She is docile and obedient, always ready to please her master, but she is also a competent woman that you can always rely on. Often times she also acts as your "wingman" during the corruption sessions. Her rack isn't that big, but more than makes up for that with the rest of her figure and her long flowing red hair. What a fox! Best girl hands down. She also has a rivalry with her bitch of a twin sister Menia. Yeah you get to bang her too eventurally in case you couldn't figure it out already. PS: that threesome scene with them both is my favorite from the entire game!

The game actually has a ton more characters. Surtr was kind of a generic villain, but I found Ymir to be a very interesting character. Also, last but not least, let's not forget to mention best boi himself: Garm. What a total bro! You know I'd totally play a VenusBlood spinoff game with the MC, Garm, and Fena going on adventures together. That would totally rock!

A few last things to mention about the story is that the game has A TON of endings. I don't remember exactly how many since it's been a while since I played this game so some things are kinda fuzzy, but basically there are three main endings: neutral, law, and chaos, and then the law and chaos routes also have several sub-endings each. In case you couldn't tell you WILL need to consult a walkthrough if you want the 100% gallery unlock. There a A TON of choice that you can make throughout the story. Some of them are just for flavor, but many of them will decide the route that you will end up with. Basically when making a choice you will tipically get a point with one of the girls and/or a point towards law or chaos.

An irritating thing was that there's an inconsistency when it comes to the actions that you take in order to get a certain route. During the gameplay you have the option to either "mingle" (be nice) with or "train" (tentacle time!) the girls. Reaching a multiple of 10 threshhold will unlock new scenes with them (H or otherwise). So you'd think that, for example, if you're aiming for the lovey-dovey ending with them you'd want to max out mingle and not train them at all. WRONG! You have to train them, but not to the point where they break and become fallen godesses. Now I don't know about you, but my understanding of romance (limited as it may be) tells me that it's kinda difficult to have a healthy romantic relationship with someone after she got clapped by a horse because you forced her to do it. Just saying.

At any rate, if you want to play this game like a rational person then I suggest using a walkthrough. Don't use the one on Steam. It's confusing and I believe also wrong in places. Use the one on Gamefaqs instead. This is one of the flaws of the game, and one that I understand was rectified in subsequent titles. There are simply too many obscure choices that you can make and the only thing that I could do to navigate this mess was to alt-tab to the Gamefaqs guide just to see what the hell I was doing. It was very stressful, as such I don't think I will play this game ever again, certainly not for the story at least.

Well if you don't want to play it for the story then what for you might ask. For the gameplay duh! It's a VN/TBS hybrid after all.

I will try to explain a little bit of the gameplay here, but bear in mind that one of the many flaws that this game has is that it is quite obtuse when it comes to information given to the player. There is a tutorial which helps you get off the ground but it never explains any of the main nuances that the game has. Again, I recommend reading the Gamefaqs guide which will help shed light on things. Suffice to say that even after beating the game there are still many things that I don't quite understand about its mechanics.

On the surface level the game is very basic. You recruit units from a huge roster of monsters, equip them, mix and match them together in armies of six each, and then send them off to battle against the enemies. If you win the battle within a certain turn limit you capture a province, which now gives you resources each turn. The problem is that the mechanics are much more complicated than they appear. During battles you cannot do much except use some special moves that the heroes have, so the real meat of the combat system takes place during the preparation phase. Army composition is extremely important in this game.

There are a lot of different variables to take into consideration. There are a lot different attributes that a unit has. Its race, its sex, its type (sword, bow etc.), its element (ice, fire, etc.), its various strengths and weaknesses, all the different items that you can equip them with, and so on. It's all very overwhelming especially since like I said there's not a lot of useful tool tips in-game, however for players who love this kind of stuff it can also be extremely rewarding trying to min-max various army compositions.

Here are a couple of useful tips that will help you along the way:

- always recruit a monster during its preferred astral phase (check its face, and always recruit them when it's pink and grinning, or at the very least when it's yellow and smiling)
    - have a team dedicated with the treasure hunt skill so that you can farm better items and resources
    - have a night team and attack at night when the enemy troops are diurnal
    - skills are the most important thing about a unit; stats and HP not so much; so always make sure to max out their skills!
    - firing and rehiring units is a central mechanic; when you rehire them they will have much better stats; it's sort of counter-intuitive but that's just how the game works
    - of course always try to mix and match unit types (1 of each sword, bow, etc); and for sure having a hero with them is incredibly useful, but more than one is probably overkill since you cannot use more than one hero skill per turn
    - a good tank with wide shield is worth his weight in gold!

It's been almost a year since I played the game so I can't remember anything else off the top of my head. You're on your own from here ;^) But it's ok because the game is quite customizable when it comes to its difficulty.

In fact when you start the game you are presented with many options to customize your experience. First of all it's the difficulty setting. Easy is essentially story mode, meaning that you can auto-win every battle instantly. That's it. Then there's various degrees of difficulty settings, from normal for the normies, to Nidhog difficulty for the masochists. I think normal is a good entry point, since at the beginning the game is quite forgining so you are free to experiment around a bit. You don't have to min-max for a large chunk of the game, but do bear in mind that there are several difficulty spikes later in the game so it's best to prepare as early as possible. Personally I would never try out the other difficulty settings as they seem too much for me but to each his own. In fact there is even a mode called Battle Royale where the story is ignored completely if just want to focus on the combat. There is also an option where you get to keep all the items from the previous playthrough. Like I said the game is very customizable which is one of its biggest strengths IMO.

Now for the audio-visuals. The sound effects don't really stand out that much which is disappointing but not unexpected. The VA is good as expected from Japanese games, but I don't really remember any stand out performances. The MC himself is not voiced as usual. The music is ok but after 50 or so hours it gets sort of old. My favorite track is one that plays during the corruption scenes called "A Light Darker Than Darkess" which really helps set the mood for the depravity going on on the screen.

As for the visuals: the VN-related ones are decent to good. The sprites and CG's are all very nice and colourful. The girls look great, both in their normal, but especially in their corrupted forms. The H-scenes only have 1 CG each, but seeing as how there are like 70 scenes in total or so that is understandable. At any rate they are drawn well.

When it comes to the "game" related ones things aren't as rosy. The unit sprites and their portraits are really good. I liked that they opted for a chibi style for the portraits. It was a nice touch. On the other hand the interface and map look like they were drawn in MS Paint. Their styles don't even fit well with one another. Ok so the interface is passable I guess, but the map looks really bad. It looks like a really low rez jpeg, and it probably is in order to keep the memory use low. Then there are the buildings on the map which look like very low quality renders that stick out like a sore thumb against the already washed out looking map. It looks really bad and unprofessional. I am a BIG fan of PC strategy games, playing tons of them during the years and this is by far the ugliest looking strategy game I have ever seen, including even most of the DOS ones. I don't understand why they skipped on this aspect since the map and the interface are the two things that the players are going to be staring the most at.

Otherwise the game is technically flawless. It ran without a hitch on Linux under Wine, with the only caveat that you have to install lavfilters in order to play the movies. Other than that I don't recall the game ever crashing on me. Props to the programmers.

The game also has three expansion packs, featuring the most popular girls. So of course that would be the lolis, Rigret and Odin. Two of them follow after the law route, and one of them (my favorite) after the chaos route where you get to have fun with both of them at the same time, but thankfully with less extreme scenes than in the base game. All of them can be beaten in 1-2 hours depending on how fast you read.

This was a very difficult game for me to rate. On the one hand this game is very ambitious. When compared to most eroge out there, Japanese or otherwise, this one is miles ahead in terms of depth and content. Western daz 3D asset fips which make up the vast majority of the content on this website have zero hope in ever matching even 10% of this title. On the other hand the game has some serious flaws, both with the story as well with the gameplay. Here are some bullet points to tie it all together and serve as a tl;dr for the less patient ones:

PROS:
    - good artwork for the most part (sprites, portaits, CG's);
    - lots of customizability;
    - somewhat involved mechanics that keep the strategy aspect from becoming a snore-fest;
    - lots of endings and lots of content;
    - TONS of H-content, but...

CONS:
    - a lot of the H-conent is really fucked up, which I realize is a pro for some people, and I did know what I was getting into so I won't bitch about it further to prevent sounding like a hypocrite;
    - generic story and characters; boring gary stu protagonist;
    - ugly map and interface;
    - obscure mechanics that just aren't explained at all;
    - the game mechanics aren't that deep so the game loop will start to feel repetitive;
    - although the game has many endings, reaching all of them is pain in the ass; completionists beware

If I were to be perfectly objective about it this game would not deserve more than 3 stars, however when compared to most of the offerings on this site, it would be criminal to give this fewer than 4. Plus, as I understand it this is the weakest in the series. Gaia and Hollow have also been released and apparantly they fix many of the flaws, offering both better stories and gameplay. Personally I can't wait to try them out sometime in the future. If nothing else I enjoyed Frontier well enough that I can consider myself a fan.

Final verdict: 4 stars, a not-so excellent addition to your collection, however if you like tentacles and strategy games and are not very squeamish then VenusBlood Frontier just might be the game for you. Just make sure to use the Gamefaqs walkthrough if you want to unlock the full gallery while still retaining a sliver of your sanity intact. You have been warned.

Total game time: 58 hours, main game + expansions. Time measured with Lutris. I finished the Law route on Normal and then unlocked the rest of the endings on Easy. If one were to beat the game on every difficulty setting it would probably take around 150 hours or so if not more.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

hagibi1012

A long and complicated game.

Gameplay:
    I ran my first playthrough in 20 hours without a guide on normal mode. After my first 2 chapter clears, I was confused why I was getting very low clear grades. Then I read the tutorials on the main menu. After completing this playthrough, I am still uncertain if I understood how to play correctly and efficiently.

Story
    :
    It's alright. The writing took a shotgun approach, if you mash through any fetishes or dialogue you find unappealing, you'll likely find something you enjoy eventually due to the sheer volume of content.

Hentai:
    It is standard VN voiced slideshow art. I am uncertain if I did not find the pregnancy content or if it was exclusively artificial insemination from tentacles. Even in the most vanilla of routes, Loki will still cuck himself with an alternate dimension alter ego. The more extreme fetishes like scat and abortion are text only
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If you want any hope of collecting the character cgs you are interested in, read an external guide.

Personally, I start to lose motivation if I cannot complete a longer hentai game within a weekend or two. I've downloaded quite a few games with a similar runtime, some of which have been pinned to my taskbar for over a year. The highest praise I can give is that the game was consistently interesting enough for me to finish within 2 months of initial download.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Bob Bee

Overall 5/5. A very unique and captivating strategy game, complimented by beautiful (but dated) visuals and compelling story that features interesting characters and routes. Unfortunately the game is hindered by its extremely steep learning curve

Gameplay 5/5. "Victory Loves Preparation". Combat is unique, but it is simply watching if your team can wins base of stats. Combat is all about preparation, which factors in team building, weapons and equipment, terrain advantage, seasons, and day / night cycles. All of which if managed properly, guarantee victory before the fight even starts.

Story 3.5/5. An interesting heaven and hell world conquest story that I found good from start to finish. I did however find it annoying that many problems in the story gets solve by convenience

Characters 4.5/5. A wide cast of typical JRPG characters. Add in the corruption mechanic and characters become much more interesting

Art 4.5/5. A lot of well drawn but dated STATIC IMAGE, this game only has static images.

H Scenes 4.5/5. There is too much in this game, basically name a fetish and this game has it.

Other notes
    Steep learning curve. This game was difficult to get into; tutorial is on the main menu and its a slideshow, it personally took me around 2-4 hrs to learn. However, once i did, i found the game to be truly enjoyable

Team building. The very core and the most addictive part of this game. Choose from over 80+?? characters to build teams of 6, factoring in which characters synergize best in order to create the strongest team
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Megaxz

Great strategy game with deep mechanics and interesting story. You can spend hours designing cool team compositions and equipping them. You also have wonderful heroines that you can corrupt too. Soundtrack is great too. Game is long but worth it.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

Starcraft Nigma

(Updating after playing an additional route. )

So I really want to give this 5 stars, but there are things that could be better.

I really dont often care for the PWP games. I enjoy a game with good gameplay and story. The gameplay here seems rather simplistic at first and it can be on lower difficulties but there is depth to the mechanics that were surprising when you really learned how they all work.

Other reviewers pointed out the lack of length for the scenes. I agree and disagree. Some scenes are longer than I care for while others are shorter than I would like. I think the biggest problem is that there is no animation and limited CGs. I play a lot of story heavy visual novels and am used to more scene CGs. Amayui Castle Meister is to me a 5 star game. Story heavy with great sex scenes and absolutely fun gameplay. This is a fun game but there is room for improvement.

A huge plus that this game did is that it has real mutliple endings. There is a corrupted path, a law path, and a normal ending. There are other paths too. I really am enjoying playing this game through a second time. The chaos /corrupted path has a lot more scenes in it. There are also a lot more fetishes many of which I am not a fan so I just clicked through them. Im going to just let the tags tell you what they consist of as to avoid spoilers.

If you are here just to FAP game recommend corrupting all the goddesses. However, if you like a real game with all the naughty bits included then this would hit the mark regardless of which path you choose.
  6. 1.00 star(s)

sexthendinner

The game is way too grindy...H scenes are only 2 or 3 images. We came here to fap not to play a strategy RPG with bad mechanics. It's disappointing because the plot is actually pretty interesting but it's so drawn out that by then end you don't want to investigate all the endings...you just want it to end.
  7. 4.00 star(s)

Golden Idiot

Oh boy! Another strategy eroge game, cant wait to disappointed while playing my favourite genre. And i was half correct in my assumption that a strategy based game on this website will not be that good, almost none are.

The first thing you understand when you start playing, is that you dont understand fucking anything. The game doesnt tell you shit, it aint no snitch. This is a definition of a game that simply instead of teaching you, puts you in the middle of the battle and expects you to understand what you must do, not the best way to go about thing if you want your player to continue.
    But i cant entirely flame this game for not having a tutorial whilst being a pretty complex game, because there is a tutorial! The problem is the fact the tutorial are nothing no better then Powerpoint presentations. It just info dump on top of boredom as you try to get through it for 1-2 hours. As you can imagine, fuck that.

The strategy aspect itself was pretty fun to figure it out and play at FIRST. But once you understood and experimented and improved, the game becomes very, VERY repetitive and grindy. At the end of it all i was just playing out of obligation to see how it ends, considering how much time i invested into it, might as well push it to the finish line. Just overall a very dry and repeating pattern with little to no actual strategical aspects to this game apart from choosing what to build and how to assemble your army, big sad.

The eroge part is pretty good in all honesty. By far the best thing about this game is your adventure to capture and corrupt Goddesses to your side, with you guessed it, rape! If you cant take a guess like that, then what are you even doing on this website? Well, getting back on topic, the sexual stuff has quite a good variety, good art style, but its one of those games where the "animated" scenes are nothing more then a few pictures in a single scene with text, which is sad. Although do be warned, this is NOT a vanilla game, lots of tentacles involved, so if you get turned off by that, go away.

Overall a game that is fun to play early, but an absolute trench crawl after you figure out how to properly play this. Yet it gets redeemed a little with the good variety of sexual scenes with 5 different divine women.
  8. 3.00 star(s)

DominatePar

Story (8/10)
    Gameplay (3/10)
    Scenes (9/10)

If you don`t like that kind of tactis combat game you will hate it for sure.
    The worst part is you need to read alot of unnecessary words.
    If you are the kind that read everything like myself i really don`t recommend it.I play it and can`t finish coz i can`t read anymore of this.

The rest is fine.
  9. 3.00 star(s)

cgmcnama

The worst thing about this is the gameplay is actually really in depth and interesting. You get scored how fast you clear levels and there are infinite levels of unit combinations and customization. But the "tutorial" if you can call it that (pop ups you have to manually read on main menu) are god awful and you need to read a walkthrough or two to make sense of the game. Intuitive things like crafting units are unintuitive. (I had to read a guide to realize you could craft the "locked" medallions and unlock NEW units) After playing around for 2-3 hours and frequently referencing guides I STARTED to get a sense of the gameply complexity but nothing is explained and I seriously thought about dropping it. The Prologue is skippable, it would have been a fine place for 2-3 Tutorial battles refreshing the Prince ("the player") on how to fight.

The H-scenes aren't for me. I guess it makes sense for Demons but it's mostly tentacle rape with weird shit like bestiality and alien impregnation. ( * don't hold it against it in my ratings. If anything there are more then average scenes in this game and pretty varied if it's your kink) If you could divorce the gameplay from the Visual Novel AND HAVE A DECENT Tutorial this could be a great game like Kamidori Alchemist. But they don't so I think this series isn't for me.

I keep floating on how to rate the game. IT IS NOT AVERAGE and a lot of work went into it. It's far above average in VN scenes and gameplay but that's pointless if the player doesn't know how to play. I could see this game having a cult following once you figure out how to play but..getting started is the most convoluted thing I've EVER found in a game.
  10. 3.00 star(s)

GaRbS

Whoever designed the conditions for how routes and endings are determined in Venus Blood Frontier should be fired and banned from working on VN's ever again.

I can't believe I need 3 tabs with different walkthroughs open just to know what the fuck I'm doing
    I need to save on literally every single choice because the game not only keeps track of the heroines' affection points, but also the player's conquest and reign points, which decide if I enter the Law or Chaos routes. And to be able to choose between both of them I need to perfectly micromanage my points so they're about equal.

And then there's the fact that some endings have priority over others, meaning that if I satisfy the conditions for multiple endings at once, I won't be able to freely choose the one I want, the game will do it for me.
    And beyond affection and conquest/reign points the game also has a corruption system, which alters the type of ending you get with each of the 5 main heroines.

So instead of playing the game normally like I did in my first playthrough and corrupting the heroines at my leisure through the course of the story, I have to wait until the literally last moment to do any corrupting I want.
    But wait, there's more! To achieve the 2 harem endings the game has, I have to make sure 3 of the heroines in one of the endings all have equal affection values of 6 or higher.

And that is the easy one.
    To get the other harem ending I need to make the 4 heroines reach an affection value of 3 before they have a mingling value of 99. Mingling being yet another score that increases if you want to romance the heroines
    So in all, if you want to be able to reach all endings within more or less one playthrough, you basically cannot do anything with the heroines until right at the end, where you will be free to grind the affection and corruption stats as you want.

This would normally not be that much of a problem, since the game has a handy scene skip function, but the GAME also forces you to play a Strategy RPG to continue the story, and even with easy mode and the auto win button, I just kept clicking and clicking over and over to continue to the story.

Another thing that I'll criticize tho is the MC, Loki Muspelheim, he feels a bit of a Gary Stu to me.
    If I were to make a Code Geass analogy, he's like a Lelouch and Suzaku fusion.
    I simply cannot think of any character flaws of his. And this is huge considering this is a story that is over a dozen hours long at the very least.
    I could mention several of Rance's objective character flaws (horny, dumb, arrogant) and that's impressive since I've only played 2 short games and a bit of the third.

Now, as for the real important stuff. The sex scenes, they're pretty decent, but just about alright. The most depraved stuff here is just some bestiality, tentacle rape/fuck, watersports and futanari. And other than tentacles, that content is not that prevalent in the game.

The art is also decent, tho nothing on the level of Lilith games or any other top quality nukige out there. I'd have to say that the main attraction of this VN are the characters and story. It almost feels more like a story based dating sim than a nukige. The bonding and relationship development between some of the heroines and the MC is quite good, I in particular would mention Odin, Tyrca and Thor as prime examples of this.

I might be inclined to give this game a higher rating if the Strategy RPG segments weren't so fucking exhausting and boring to play or could just be outright skipped in its entirety, otherwise I can't see myself playing this game again any time soon, if at all. But the art, story and characters alone would merit this VN a 4 star rating, but the gameplay elements drop it to 3 stars.
  11. 3.00 star(s)

Djtooth

This game plays like a anime first, gameplay second, and H third.
    The story scenes are very long, you could be reading for over an hour before even hitting gameplay. I actually forgot this was not a kinetic novel when the game actually started. The actual game controls are not intuitive, and the game does not warn you to read the entire tutorial before diving in.
    This game could definitely use some improvements, but the game is fun enough if you are looking for something complex.
  12. 2.00 star(s)

imelman

So...A game that isn't good, but can be called somewhat bad - for many reasons, really. On one hand, it has satisfying moments, on other, things that kill their impact and turn them into blandness - of which there's A LOT of such stuff, which eventually killed all suspense and surprise the story would have - in fact, the game's complicated, poorly explained systems and encouraging the player to play in a very specific way in order to get the best results as opposing to experimenting, like to get the better endings, while not exactly a bad thing, is just made into a confusing experience that even with reruns, it still feels...disappointingly boring?

Yes, you have "good", "evil", "loser" and special endings, and while satisfying to get at first, once you realize hows the game is structured, it becomes more of a chore with making saves just to get events you want - replay only comes once you see them at least once, so it wont be a surprise. And even better, good/evil alignment instead of heavily shifting the story into such, mostly has minor dialogue changes, as if the evil gods still feel good despite the changes telling us that they are completely evil. Which makes the story and the entire world feel rather off at points. At least the mindless ones can be understood that they only obey their master.

Now for basic gameplay - considering how poorly the game does the job at explaining it, let alone the "tutorial" which is more of a guide, its rather...holds a weak candle compared to much better series which you and I already know. Yes, you can build, you can hire, but in the end, you'll want the best of the best as opposed to variety of stuff or making balanced things of both low and high tier because costs and needs. In this game, you'd rather turn basic structures into the best one for their tile, like plains into mountains into dens, cities into castles, basic units discarded in favor of top tier, expensive ones, e.t.c.

In-game Gameplay loop? It's again, make squads for jobs, fight and fight, do stuff and wait for approval from your leader. When I played it at first, I thought it would be interesting, but its clearly not so much - let alone the rewards locked behind difficulties, while I do like them if done good, and as long they do new stuff with it, the "rewards" I got in form of commanders from high difficulty clears was underwhelming compared to normal ones you get for ANY difficulty. And especially when the best units often come from game clear/alignment medallions, where you can make them rival, or even surpass a commander in power. Combat, which is...quite wonky - again, considering the complicated stuff before, it mostly comes to getting the units like, a tank with All/Cross null and such, healer with absolute cure, attackers with dimension slash, buff/debuff commanders, bounty hunter squads during easier parts of the game as early as possible, e.t.c.

You'd expect a grand strategy or grand combat from here at very least...Turns out, its mostly using stuff to take down your enemies faster than they'll do the same to you. In fact, the auto often doesn't do exact accurate job of combat, which means you have to put more overall powers into your team if you dont want it to fail at attacking/defending or just being worse.

So, the gameplay is clearly with not the best intentions, nor capacity, both when manually and automatically, and all things considered, it has 0 replay value unless you going for scenes or masochism. But I do appreciate a good gameplay once in a while, if people have the guts and skills for it.

Sexual scenes? Many of them are fine, with fetishes here and there, but considering the nature of the game, you cannot take even the most serious/dramatic/happy ones seriously, which again, kills the mood, story, suspense and anything you felt beforehand.

Let me summarize the plot right away: you try to get your place back, you capture women, you can either turn them or keep them a little bit like that, yet you always know you'll be the better guy in the end - evil or otherwise, because the predictable villains often have worse rules than you. Heck, even the opening movie was a spoiler because it showed what you can to do them!

Not helped by translation - in fact, I noticed that certain unit descriptions have errors, and even better, some of them bear their descriptions based on your computer language! And considering what translators from companies adhere to, like reference-like things such as "uphel downhel", "a certain succubus index", "from russia/gaia with love" and such, along with enormous amount of "shit" and other US common language despite the original lacking such, I'm not surprised if such trend is going to continue.

All things considered: expensive, no replay value(at first, you think it has, but later you realize there's little to none depending on your capacity), very long(if you going to play its routes, more if replaying), boring, unimpressive, predictable. People want a good story, a good gameplay and other good stuff, and this game isn't one of them - its closer to an visual novel(with obvious cliches), which is actually more fun and less boring than the game itself, too bad it also interferes with gameplay in a rather ironic way.

I wouldn't think 30$ for 10-20 hours of necessary stuff is okay - rest is grinding/replays, and it would be fine if it was half or so that price. I felt conflicted, and this game just proves my suspicions right. Not all long games are good, because long games might just make the problem worse, which this game is a proof of. The extra story/additions don't help the main problems in the first place, either.

But anyway, is it better than bad games? Of course it is. But it is reasonable enough for such pricetag or satisfaction alone? I'm certainly not on this side because long sludge of boredom is worse than a short boring game - short but very satisfying games exist, and long ones as well - its the matter making them right, replay value, complimentary gameplay and such - which this game doesn't have.
  13. 3.00 star(s)

primeumaton

It's an alright game. Doesn't hold a candle to Sengoku Rance though.
    What I mean is that it has a good story... for the first part of it.
    It becomes super predictable though.

Story: 3/5 I liked the story up until the actual gameplay. Then the story became very little and repetitive really.

Art: 4/5 The art is really well drawn. Although the dialogue and art didn't exactly match up perfectly. I think that's the writer's fault though. Tried a bit too hard with the writing vs what is actually seen.

Characters: 3/5 Very typical anime trope characters really. Not a single one felt really... new.

Gameplay: 3/5 It has a decent system. A lot of buttons I'm still unsure of what they all are for. After beating two areas I kinda got bored of the fighting though. I do appreciate how English friendly the game is though.

H stuff: 2/5 I give this a low score because really once you see one, the rest are much the same.

Overall: 3/5
    I quit early. Bored of the story, bored of the gameplay, bored of the H stuff.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Shadow Word: Porn

Awesome, epic strategy gameplay. Perhaps a little too complex at first for my taste, but you get used to how it works after the first few battles. Tons of lewd content and fun plot, as expected from a Venus Blood game. The translation is also very competent.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Hunter Horse Helmsley

This game has shot straight to the top of hentai games for me, at first I played it for fap material (obviously) but I found myself actually interested in the story and the characters, this is the first game of this kind where I actually got sad at a character dying, the music is also fantastic, if I knew the name I'd download that shit right now ! But if someone is going into the game just to fap then they too would not be dissapointed the art and the scenes themeselves are great. I hope I'll find another game like this again at some point in my pathetic life.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

AstralBout

Masterpiece
    This game is an adult game that doesn't focus only on the sex scenes.
    I've already finished this game and really enjoyed, happy about all of the game's aspects.
    The ambiance, music, sounds are very good, there's no annoying anime girl high pitch voices and I'm tearing up for a hentai game nice lol. That's how good it is, even without the 18+ stuff I will still play it again.

The gameplay is not so difficult and very easy to follow through instructions.
    You cannot go ham in the first run so. I guess that's bad? For me, it's fine, I'm not a hardcore player.

The story.
    Nope, not what you think. It's not boring at all. It's better than mediocre but doesn't reach that masterpiece degree.

Imagine, reviewing a hentai game and almost forgot to write about sex scenes.
    The virtual is good, I would rate it the same as the story.
    I don't really like tentacles but it isn't that bad, so I can at least go on with it.

AHHHH, I FORGOT TO WRITE ABOUT THE PHILOSOPHY PART.
    I mean it's not that emphasized, but it actually helps me in real life.
    The main protagonist is very smart and philosophical.
    Like, I cannot believe myself that I'm playing a hentai game and get off with it AND LEARN FROM IT.
  17. 4.00 star(s)

Zakkuri

Narrative - It starts very strong for a while. You begin as Loki, a low ranking noble who's house has been disgraced in a scandal of treachery. His siblings, save one, treat him with scorn and dismiss him as a weakling. And he IS a weakling. Yet he wants to take part in a war against the goddesses for possession of their relic, and the seat of their demon king.
    He's an underdog. You feel like you're the only one looking at the world map and plotting moves, as tactics are your strength. Unfortunately, this stops almost as soon as it begins. At the end of the first area, without spoiling anything, you get ahold of a power that evens out the playing field may more than it should, pretty much killing the original selling point of the plot.
    Despite the plot device, each area has radically different characters and their own sub plots. This is enough to keep you interested. A lot of Loki's plots are questionable, but he faces enough resistance for them to be plausible, even if a lot of his solutions come out of nowhere.
    Possibly my biggest gripe is the amount of telling. This isn't new for VNs, even games like Muv Luv Alternative (most overrated trash I've ever played) has tons of it, but here it's just... weird. The most obvious things are pointed out, and at the worst times, when dramatic shit is going down.

H - Completely subjective. I'm kinda not fussed about tentacles. I'm also not so fussed about having rape, NTR etc. in my good routes. Guess I'm a traditionalist. But, it's mostly fine.

Gameplay - This is where I'm really split. First and foremost, it's grindy. Secondly, it's filled with elements that do little but complicate the game and don't even really need to be there except for, perhaps, the higher difficulties. The learning curve, however, is the worst. It nearly turned me off. Perhaps one of the biggest, most nauseating hurdles, was the complete lack of tooltips explaining anything. The only menu in which you can actually view what skills do is on the battlefield, from what I can tell. And that's just useless. At this point, I know what skills are useful and stack them on my recruits, but I barely even know what they do.
    Advice - start on normal. Hard is doable, but not for a newbie. And have several armies.
    There's also a LOT of needless micro-management. Tons of equipping weapons.

So, why four stars? The sheer amount of content. Massive amounts of ending, more hard mode difficulties, several different special recruits. And when it gets hard, and you find you've found a way to fight back? THAT is when the battle of wits fantasy gets going and you start having insane amounts of fun.
    But for someone with less than average time to spend on a game, this is a hard sell, and probably a three star. Still, think about buying the game, preferably when it hits Steam as that's when sales really matter.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Sinphil

A great strategy game that really requires you to evolve as you progress but can also punch out the H content on easy difficulties to totally bypass the strategy if you wish.

There is a tonne of H content and although the enslaving path was not my cup of tea it was still well done. I like the artwork and although some reuse of scenes it was not a problem for me (I actually enjoyed the way writer told two totally different stories using same pictures). Is also no shortage of scenes so lots of fresh content.

The writing is decent and story simple enough to allow player great freedom though a little disappointed after all the talk on combining both divine and demonic power there is no "Transcendent" path or ending...at least that I found yet.

The actual strategy is a lot of little systems combining into a complex little gem with lots of shining facets. I recommend using the wiki page for game as a lot of things not explained in game especially skills and their caps. Cheat Engine can also be used to bypass resource management and medallion unlock if you wish but you still need to grind each units loyalty.

One thing to be aware of is progress with goddesses and the three demon sisters is off their train and mingle tabs as well as triggered events and if you progress to next chapter to soon you can lose them or miss out on relationship progress until next play through. Once you have healing and xp lands skipping is your friend and much better than paying gold to heal.
  19. 4.00 star(s)

AHentailurker

Good game overall.

The story is above average, not especially great, but enough intrigue to be worth reading.
    The scenes are good. a bit too tentacle-heavy for my taste, but at least the tentacles serve various uses, and aren't just dick-substitutes, in most scenes.

The gameplay is... fine.
    I respect that the game tries to be an actual game. It does remind me of Sengoku Rance, just not nearly as interesting.
    A lot, if not most systems can be safely ignored on normal, and the game is really not interesting enough to get into the min-maxing the higher difficulties require.

The corruption is pretty good. I like that it's not completely binary, and it does encourage replaying multiple times in various ways.

I also really appreciate the thought put into various QoL systems. The fact that skipping a scene means actually skipping it, instead of just going throught eh text really fast is great for a game this lengthy with multiple routes. And while I'm happy the game has decent combat, the possibility to skip it is a great inclusion.

Is it worth 30 bucks, debatable, but if you can afford it, buying it isn't a bad choice, if you want to see more good h-games get an international release.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Sinistrem

Corruption masterpiece, officially translated after a successful kickstarter. A must have classic for anyone enjoying this genre.

Featuring a robust gameplay systems (althought it's kinda tough and may take some time to figure it out), this game may last a surprising amount of hours if you're into it.

Or if you are not, you can just enable easy mode and skip all the gameplay, and the game will turn into a decently long VN.