Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
Nor I, but Snekk is trying to make it approachable for various types, so far as I understand. A nightmarishly difficult goal for sure.

That said, I'm fairly certain a player won't be forced to walk one unless they opt for it. Further examples is how a lot of the heavy stuff seems to be based off of activities, or unlocked from the land of firey hot things of less kindly intent. So it'd have to be deliberate in those cases.

Solid Snekk

Game Developer
May 5, 2017
The good path is not always the easiest.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice a few things.

I'll take another look at it when I get to the cities. Monduval was always pretty light on content but I also need to make sure that I don't accidentally lock out some quests before the city possibly gets blown up.

Not being able to complete the Kitsune Questlines because the torii gate was nuked is an obvious pause, so I'll need to only have her go after the player finishes Mariko and Avee's quests.

Reactions: PsyTurtle
Mar 23, 2022
So am I the only one who actually likes playing the bad guy? Everyone seems to prefer playing the good guy, or at least anti-hero style. I feel like I'm the minority here lol.

The good path is not always the easiest.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice a few things.

I'll take another look at it when I get to the cities. Monduval was always pretty light on content but I also need to make sure that I don't accidentally lock out some quests before the city possibly gets blown up.

Not being able to complete the Kitsune Questlines because the torii gate was nuked is an obvious pause, so I'll need to only have her go after the player finishes Mariko and Avee's quests.
After the nuke you could just make it so that the torii gate is the only thing left standing. I can't imagine a goddess like the one that created them would make something so flimsy it would break due to a nuke. Especially since her power rower revolves around having it running.

Solid Snekk

Game Developer
May 5, 2017
After the nuke you could just make it so that the torii gate is the only thing left standing. I can't imagine a goddess like the one that created them would make something so flimsy it would break due to a nuke. Especially since her power rower revolves around having it running.
When the player touches it they find that the wood is rotten and covered with a layer of paper stapled to it. The one inside the Spirit Realm is held together by iron bands, barely able to stand on its own and held together entirely through her remaining force of will.

They're on the verge of almost falling over. The only actually solid one is the one that Yvee builds.

Mar 23, 2022
When the player touches it they find that the wood is rotten and covered with a layer of paper stapled to it. The one inside the Spirit Realm is held together by iron bands, barely able to stand on its own and held together entirely through her remaining force of will.

They're on the verge of almost falling over. The only actually solid one is the one that Yvee builds.
If they are dilapidated and a nuke could destroy them, wouldn't that in theory be a massive blow and potentially ruin the Kitsune faith? If the goddess uses the 9 8 gates to power their being, then wouldn't destroying one basically destroy them? If the player chooses to split the goddess duties up, then they'd be unbalanced. Basically, I'm curious how it'd effect the Kitsune dynamic because Kitsune power = number of gates.

Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
Wouldn't it depend on Mariko's mentality and the protagonists intervention?

Before they got involved most of the gates were inert, and several weren't yet *built*. It stands to reason that regarding construction, if they did it once, they can do it again. Especially if, the most successful version would mean Paradise has already been constructed, Mariko is easing Avee into the role of the lead religious figure, the PC has been deemed a champion of the kitsune (and worshiped occasionally), and Foxxy is there for additional security.

From what I understand, the kitsune and their faith are the source of her power, not the gates. (Though I could be wrong.)

Conversely, if you haven't been aiding them, or outright ignored Mariko,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Without support, yeah, I can see it being the final nail in the coffin.

Mar 23, 2022
I mean yes. It's true god/goddess power doesn't come from what they create but from their followers beliefs in them. If I'm not mistaken, this is clarified by the god's/goddesses page on the git page. However, Avee states that the gates are powered by them; this is even indicated by their colouring. Avee even puts emphasis on needed an equal amount of gates for the other kitsune goddesses so as to not upset the power balance. Also, all the newly created gates are all Avee's*, not Mariko's. Whether that's due to Mariko wanting it to be like that or not, I can't say for certain.

Solid Snekk

Game Developer
May 5, 2017
Unrelated for the moment, what other starting options should the player be able to set?

Still working on the format but the buttons turn green when you set them and you can only progress past this point once you set up your character fully.

Reactions: Vombatidi

Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
Unrelated for the moment, what other starting options should the player be able to set?

Still working on the format but the buttons turn green when you set them and you can only progress past this point once you set up your character fully.
1. Unsure. A lot of the options you adjust via the ledger as foe types or situations are discovered. Nixxing potential encounters from the start doesn't seem like a great move, since there are so many complicated plot elements at work. Probably better to just deal with them as they arrive.

As it is, two or three of your origins would have to lock a few of those options, such as race, gender, even class or background. (At least at the start. After which it's fair game.)

Ratkin mom, Last of the Line, Unluckiest Goblin are hardstuck races at the start, because other options don't work with the narrative. LoL is futa or female, Unlucky is futa only. Ratkin mom... well, anybody can be a mom if they want to be, though that may mean the daughters are potentially adopted or something, which may be more complications than desired.

Lost Magic is a mage / spellsword? Though maybe fighting amnesia as an ever handy trope could be a thing so you gradually unlock your broken battlewizard talents through the journey (hence 'lost' magic).

Unlucky is a Knight, though that could translate to a few options. But likely just warrior or paladin, and paladin seems to be more of a later game unlock.

LoL has a bit of flex, other than a super high ranking Avadonian elf, I don't think too much detail is placed in their talents beyond being in command and going down with the ship, as it were.

You teased a Lizardfolk origin at one point, so I imagine that'd probably be lizardkin, and some sort of scout / hunter/ gatherer start.

2. Some options will likely end up being tackled within or after the prologue anyway: For example, after
I can see the window popping when you reincarnate to ask 'A new beginning! What would you like your Name and Surname to be?'

3. If Background is supposed to be Origin, maybe have that at the top instead, so the choice and effects are immediate.

4. I'd add a little friendly disclaimer at the bottom saying something along the lines of 'Life in Vicindio is often volatile and transformative; just like your path, options and selections are not set in stone.'

Or if that's too fancy: 'Note that you will be able to change these options through gameplay and events later in the game'

5. I know I shouldn't cast stones when I have yet to release anything, but the UI feels a bit... drab? Intentional, or just going with what works?

Tattletale21

Jan 26, 2020
Well your choice of locale is on you.

I'm probably going to have my hub be the werewolf den once I get to it.

Each of the places is dangerous for different reasons. The Dragon Isles can be attacked by pirates, bandits will assault the farm now and then, Amazonia is under constant raids from the Centaur Isles, things live in the forest, sand creatures attack the Sultanate Oasis' and bugs live in the swamps.

The only truly "safe" hub location is whatever location you arm the strongest. The second would be the werewolf den as it is a ruined fort and, if you saved it, has a werewolf protecting it. Maybe more if you were frisky with him.

Having one or two people in each location is generally safer, lower numbers are less likely to be noticed or considered not worth it. Goblin wife adds 5 other people to the population of a settlement she's in because of her starting goblin friends.

Some locations are useless for having people live in, but you could use them for other purposes. Tonya's house in the slums is only really good for having Tonya live in it as only she is okay with living in the slums. You'll be able to turn it into a makeshift shop, brothel or inn. You could also theoretically use it to store captured people which Tonya, if she lived through her quest, is not okay with. The brothel thing also peeves her but she hornier now that she's dead.

----

Starting kobolds are blue, with Lo being red. If you have Lo revive herself then other colors begin appearing because she is so prolific in breeding her race.
you know, i'm actually curious; the mansion we find in the forest that we build up with the permission form the beauregarde family to turn it into a brothel...can we just not do that, and instead turn it into a hub as well? i imagine a recently-built, victorian-style mansion with dozens of rooms and surrounded on all side by woodland would be scenic as hell, and it being turned into a brothel felt like a waste considering we already had a brothel that wasn't really too far away.

another thing - and you knew it was coming don't lie - but with the introduction of hubs and invasions, could we make necropolises? like, a whole, fully defensible hub filled with zombies and undead, for those necrophiliac/necromancers out there?

lastly, you added the M1 Garand as a rifle that we could continuously upgrade and interact with, with hints of there being some sort of sex system as well. will there be more guns like that? more sentient wepaons, even, that we can upgrade in special ways and keep with us all the time? the gimmick of the gun being something that's tied to you and could theoretically upgrade forever was a really, really cool one.

lastly-lastly - i lied, sorry-not-sorry - is the whole 'corupting the school' thing still going to exist? as strange as it sounds, i always felt that had the most potential, especially in the early days of 1.97. slowly but surely corrupting the school and actually seeing the results of it, building new features to twist, it was really awesome. also, with the nuns in the church as well - do we still get to slowly corrupt them? maybe twist them so they worship us instead of Avalon?

Reactions: Unimportant321

doujinftw

Nov 26, 2020

alignment or karma maybe

Mar 23, 2022
alignment or karma maybe
I don't think alignment or karma would work there. If you have alignments, then it forces you to play a certain style, something that doesn't fit Vicindio. As the player can choose to be as nice or evil as they want, even doing both at the same time. As for Karma, if it's like Snekk's original plans for it, then that also wouldn't work. Basically, Vicindio is a world where there isn't good or bad; everything is very grey. A lot of characters are doing evil because they think it's good and vice versa. Kind of make a solid "this is wrong" or "this is good" seem out of place.

1. you know, i'm actually curious; the mansion we find in the forest that we build up with the permission form the beauregarde family to turn it into a brothel...can we just not do that, and instead turn it into a hub as well? i imagine a recently-built, victorian-style mansion with dozens of rooms and surrounded on all side by woodland would be scenic as hell, and it being turned into a brothel felt like a waste considering we already had a brothel that wasn't really too far away.

2. another thing - and you knew it was coming don't lie - but with the introduction of hubs and invasions, could we make necropolises? like, a whole, fully defensible hub filled with zombies and undead, for those necrophiliac/necromancers out there?

3. lastly, you added the M1 Garand as a rifle that we could continuously upgrade and interact with, with hints of there being some sort of sex system as well. will there be more guns like that? more sentient wepaons, even, that we can upgrade in special ways and keep with us all the time? the gimmick of the gun being something that's tied to you and could theoretically upgrade forever was a really, really cool one.

4. lastly-lastly - i lied, sorry-not-sorry - is the whole 'corupting the school' thing still going to exist? as strange as it sounds, i always felt that had the most potential, especially in the early days of 1.97. slowly but surely corrupting the school and actually seeing the results of it, building new features to twist, it was really awesome. also, with the nuns in the church as well - do we still get to slowly corrupt them? maybe twist them so they worship us instead of Avalon?
To begin with I don't know what Snekk is planning but I am making specilation based on his past actions.

1. I feel like if the forest mansion is kept, it has to be kept as a brothel. The player is forced into turning it into a brothel by the Beauregarde's due to story reasons (in QSP). So changing that would require a complete rewrite of the whole thing in general. Which, from my perspective, would forfeit a lot of the established story behind it (which was a rather large story plot). Second, it's a player-managed brothel, which, from the sounds of it, might be possible for other hubs in the twine version. So maybe that point becomes pointless. Finally, it's main reason for being there is because it's remnants of being a Rubedo mod. So it's tough to really decide whether it should or shouldn't become a hub. It's always been its own thing. A place that the player owns but has very little say in what it is; it feels like they are a co-owner at best.

2. I feel like I can answer this safely with a yes.

3. As much as I like the M1 Grand, I feel like it's a special case. I don't think having several gun-gal's would fit. From what I recall of the M1 Grand story, she's super unique; not many weapons are able to form a soul. In saying that, having sentient weapons might be a thing, but I feel like they wouldn't be linked. I'm not Snekk, so I can't say for certain if they think it's a cool idea to have several weapons with souls or not. Only they can answer for certain.

4. If I'm not mistaken, running the school and most likely being able to corrupt it is going to be in. It plays heavily into the main story of stopping the Falling Fire. At least from what I've gathered of story bits here and there on the forums, playing the game, and looking at the QSP version of the game's code.

You kind of can't really add anything to it. Most of it is generic enough to cover most things. I think the only real thing you could add is items you'd have as extras, but even then it's not something worth adding.

Solid Snekk

Game Developer
May 5, 2017
1. you know, i'm actually curious; the mansion we find in the forest that we build up with the permission form the beauregarde family to turn it into a brothel...can we just not do that, and instead turn it into a hub as well? i imagine a recently-built, victorian-style mansion with dozens of rooms and surrounded on all side by woodland would be scenic as hell, and it being turned into a brothel felt like a waste considering we already had a brothel that wasn't really too far away.

2. another thing - and you knew it was coming don't lie - but with the introduction of hubs and invasions, could we make necropolises? like, a whole, fully defensible hub filled with zombies and undead, for those necrophiliac/necromancers out there?

3. lastly, you added the M1 Garand as a rifle that we could continuously upgrade and interact with, with hints of there being some sort of sex system as well. will there be more guns like that? more sentient wepaons, even, that we can upgrade in special ways and keep with us all the time? the gimmick of the gun being something that's tied to you and could theoretically upgrade forever was a really, really cool one.

4. lastly-lastly - i lied, sorry-not-sorry - is the whole 'corupting the school' thing still going to exist? as strange as it sounds, i always felt that had the most potential, especially in the early days of 1.97. slowly but surely corrupting the school and actually seeing the results of it, building new features to twist, it was really awesome. also, with the nuns in the church as well - do we still get to slowly corrupt them? maybe twist them so they worship us instead of Avalon?
1. The reason for that is:

It could be turned into a regular estate after that but she also

2. Taking over the fishing village is something I wanted to add so the player can run experiments on the undead like he was.

There is also a dungeon along the north road that the player would have been able to explore that would be filled with whatever creatures I wanted to add but couldn't find a spot for in the game. I don't see why the player couldn't live on the bottom floor as the

The player can also just house all their undead on the Dragon Isle and slowly watch them eat all your living followers/children as you rule over a dead island.

Lo is gonna be alright, her ghost form can possess corpses just fine.

3. I am working on a way to add random effects to weapons such as extra fire/ice/whatever damage as a bonus to that weapon.

If it works then you may encounter such abilities such as sentience, of which bloodthirsty/horny/enthusiastic would give various boons if you did what they want.

This is a low priority as it would violate every law in Avedon and, as such, the player would instantly be hauled off to jail for owning it.

4. I am going to redo the slums so there is a real possibility I can fix the school as it was meant to be. I want to avoid any implications of children aside from having orphans in the orphanage.

Solid Snekk

Game Developer
May 5, 2017
Unrelated I'm trying to work on NPCS/named children/random lovers you find.

In theory you would be able to buy random things from this randomly generated elf woman Mia.

Trying to add where they live, lifestyle, attitude, sexual orientation, sexual capability, and player relation.

It's a lot of moving parts but I want the framework in place before moving on.

----

The alternative is "There's 6 lizardfolk men, 2 women" and then you bang the two women with no reference that you've had relations with them before.

----

My question is this: Should I continue with this train of thought or go with the simpler "8 lizardfolk men, 6 lizardfolk women, 6 goblin men, ect."

I have the basics for both and I need to know which would be more appealing to play with.

doujinftw

Nov 26, 2020
1. The reason for that is:

It could be turned into a regular estate after that but she also

2. Taking over the fishing village is something I wanted to add so the player can run experiments on the undead like he was.

There is also a dungeon along the north road that the player would have been able to explore that would be filled with whatever creatures I wanted to add but couldn't find a spot for in the game. I don't see why the player couldn't live on the bottom floor as the

The player can also just house all their undead on the Dragon Isle and slowly watch them eat all your living followers/children as you rule over a dead island.

Lo is gonna be alright, her ghost form can possess corpses just fine.

3. I am working on a way to add random effects to weapons such as extra fire/ice/whatever damage as a bonus to that weapon.

If it works then you may encounter such abilities such as sentience, of which bloodthirsty/horny/enthusiastic would give various boons if you did what they want.

This is a low priority as it would violate every law in Avedon and, as such, the player would instantly be hauled off to jail for owning it.

4. I am going to redo the slums so there is a real possibility I can fix the school as it was meant to be. I want to avoid any implications of children aside from having orphans in the orphanage.
hey for the fishing village I have suggestion add in an option to make a fishery business that produce seafood and random chance of pearls , and also we have a lot of places to travel throughout the game, why don't we have each place have special commodities that buy high sell low, such as place near the sea sell seafood stuff much cheaper while buying ore gem at higher price, while deeper inland place such that mining town buying seafood at higher price while selling ore at lower price, basically let the player play as merchant add in a wagon that the player bring with to buy those specific commodities for trading they can only bring as much as the wagon can carry.

Last edited:

Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Regarding the 'karma wouldn't work' I call bullshit. Karma would work just fine. Reputation is a thing. Evil or good is an active choice. The story is defined by the players actions. Yes, if you run around murder death killing and enslaving things, by and large, you could be considered a monster, with the forces of hell likely giving you the nod of approval. If you go out of your way to be a heroic dogooder (or at least as close as you can manage), then you are positively aligned. And if you do a bit of each, you'd be lingering somewhere comfortably in the middle.

Angels exist. So do demons. As do more murky things that are middle of the road, of course.

But what you do and how you do it would and have should have impact. If I'm going to be told that taking the high road is difficult and troublesome and I will likely pay a heavy exchange for pursuing the path, then it aught to have some meaning behind it.

A running tally of how benevolent or malevolent is hardly out of line for the game. If anything, it would help with assigning values to powers that based off divine mojo, such as smites, healing, and blessings. Or holy/unholy relic items and weapons, perhaps.

Not to say you couldn't reverse course if you found it suiting, but it should come with a cost if you are on one extreme end or the other, I should think.

---

Regarding random NPC generation, I have a question. I don't really know enough about html style games to know the details, but wouldn't having a massive ever growing index of characters bog down or complicate the saves? Seems like that tends to happen in other games, though maybe it's for other reasons entirely.

Why would we be doing business with a random character versus a better defined hub/vendor that would add elements of story or gameplay?

I don't ... exactly understand what you are asking between the two options. Is it one is more anonymous and grows more defined after doing the thing?

Unless one is well and truly unique, I'm not sure it needs that much detail. Although tracking the kids is probably something folks would like.

In the past you said there would essentially be one 'special' NPC kid to most pairings that would have extra detail, and the rest would remain generic. That seemed to work fine, but if you want to all out on giving them all extra depth, well, it's your game. Though it seems like it'd be easy to get lost in the sauce making it possible.

I think the overall goal is probably something that adds detail but doesn't feel super bogged down and cumbersome. If we are balls deep in six different menus to sort out their details or make use of them, for example, that's probably too much work for most.

But if there's something you want to explore to see if it's viable, I mean, why not go for it? I rather doubt anybody here is going to say 'no', besides.

Reactions: PsyTurtle
Mar 23, 2022
Regarding the 'karma wouldn't work' I call bullshit. Karma would work just fine. Reputation is a thing. Evil or good is an active choice. The story is defined by the players actions. Yes, if you run around murder death killing and enslaving things, by and large, you could be considered a monster, with the forces of hell likely giving you the nod of approval. If you go out of your way to be a heroic dogooder (or at least as close as you can manage), then you are positively aligned. And if you do a bit of each, you'd be lingering somewhere comfortably in the middle.

Angels exist. So do demons. As do more murky things that are middle of the road, of course.

But what you do and how you do it would and have should have impact. If I'm going to be told that taking the high road is difficult and troublesome and I will likely pay a heavy exchange for pursuing the path, then it aught to have some meaning behind it.

A running tally of how benevolent or malevolent is hardly out of line for the game. If anything, it would help with assigning values to powers that based off divine mojo, such as smites, healing, and blessings. Or holy/unholy relic items and weapons, perhaps.

Not to say you couldn't reverse course if you found it suiting, but it should come with a cost if you are on one extreme end or the other, I should think.
For clarification on most likely my post you were quoting. I didn't mean it was pointless over all through out the story. Having your actions and stuff have consequences is totally fine and not what I was getting at. What I mean with it was at the character creation point. If alignments are a thing, it mentally forces the player to play to their alignments. If they don't follow the alignment, then having it in the character creation is pointless because it does nothing. As for karma, again, during character creation it's pointless. You as the player don't start off as some massive big evil or holy knight of justice. No one knows who or what you are. Arguably your karma should start after you (plot spoiler for intro). Of course that is excluding different origins, as some might be more evil/good-leaning than others, but then your karma would be tied to your character's origin, not a stat that you can change.

Mar 23, 2022
Unrelated I'm trying to work on NPCS/named children/random lovers you find.

In theory you would be able to buy random things from this randomly generated elf woman Mia.

Trying to add where they live, lifestyle, attitude, sexual orientation, sexual capability, and player relation.

It's a lot of moving parts but I want the framework in place before moving on.

----

The alternative is "There's 6 lizardfolk men, 2 women" and then you bang the two women with no reference that you've had relations with them before.

----

My question is this: Should I continue with this train of thought or go with the simpler "8 lizardfolk men, 6 lizardfolk women, 6 goblin men, ect."

I have the basics for both and I need to know which would be more appealing to play with.
If I'm understanding the question right, you're asking if you should make it so the children are generic NPC with different personalities. Or if you should stick with just having them just being statistics?

If you do decide to make it so they are individual that's a momentus task. I'd causion you to have limits on how much and what can happen with them. As it's very easy to have them cascade into crashing, freezing, lagging, or just causing bugs. There's a reason why most coders just give an illusion of being alive without it being alive. It's a lot less demanding on the hardware and software while still getting a satisfactory results.

That's not to say don't do it if you wish, go ahead. I just know as players create larger and larger lists it starts slowing the game down and is more prone to issues.

4.30 star(s) 15 Votes