VN premade?

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
Just getting into daz3d and blender, i had no clue how time consuming it really was.

Do people use pre-made environments or they make their own? And is it allowed to use bundles for own games?

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
Each artist is different. Some will use pictures from Google. Some will render out their own Environment. Some will make their own custom environment. Some just use HDMIs. The world is your oyster. Do whatever is easier for you.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Most dev's on here use pre-made models. Majority of it coming from Daz3d.

As far as Daz3D goes, you'll have to buy the "Interactive license" that is listed under the Optional License if you want to do anything outside rendering. As far as other websites that sell 3D models you'll have to read their documentation on licensing agreement.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As far as Daz3D goes, you'll have to buy the "Interactive license" that is listed under the Optional License if you want to do anything outside rendering. As far as other websites that sell 3D models you'll have to read their documentation on licensing agreement.
Just a clarification for those who are new to Daz. If you use Daz assets to render images, and then put just the images into the game, then you don't need the Interactive License. If you are building a true 3D game and put the 3D assets themselves into the game, then you do need the Interactive License.

I know that's what you meant, @Egglock, but I've seen a lot of confusion on this point, so I thought I'd state it "my way" just for clarity's sake.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Just a clarification for those who are new to Daz. If you use Daz assets to render images, and then put just the images into the game, then you don't need the Interactive License. If you are building a true 3D game and put the 3D assets themselves into the game, then you do need the Interactive License.
Thanks for making that distinction! That certainly helpful to know.

Jun 29, 2018
I'm mostly planning to use environments premade from Daz but my main location is a home that I just wasn't able to find what I wanted premade. I ended up going with a Daz product that lets you build your own home using floor, wall, and ceiling tiles you lay out.

I then add furniture or appliances into the rooms I've pieced together. It's not perfect but it's pretty easy to use and gives you a good bit of control over the type of rooms/home you make. Here's a shot of a living room I'm still working on as a reference:

Test Living Room.png

The floors, walls (with windows and doors as well), and ceilings are from that package. I've added window blinds from some other package and may also add curtains if I find ones I like. The stairway and the sofa are from stand alone .obj files I got online and the rest are from other random Daz or Rederocity packages.

I plan to use this package to build the upstairs as well, it's really just going to be for the hallway with doors leading to the individual bedrooms and bathroom. For those I'll use Daz packages as well.

I can't say that this is a perfect solution but it's on that really helped solve an issue I had and may work for others.

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
thanks, ill have to check it out!

i got into blender and it's pretty amazing what u can do once u figure it out.
process seems faster then searching for objects.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
thanks, ill have to check it out!

i got into blender and it's pretty amazing what u can do once u figure it out.
process seems faster then searching for objects.
Good on you for trying to do it yourself in Blender. Even if you end up using mostly other people's created assets, you learn a lot about the 3d art process just by experiencing it yourself.

Creating in Blender and successfully importing to Daz can be quite tricky, I am still learning how to do it well myself.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I'm mostly planning to use environments premade from Daz but my main location is a home that I just wasn't able to find what I wanted premade. I ended up going with a Daz product that lets you build your own home using floor, wall, and ceiling tiles you lay out.

I then add furniture or appliances into the rooms I've pieced together. It's not perfect but it's pretty easy to use and gives you a good bit of control over the type of rooms/home you make. Here's a shot of a living room I'm still working on as a reference:

View attachment 188164

The floors, walls (with windows and doors as well), and ceilings are from that package. I've added window blinds from some other package and may also add curtains if I find ones I like. The stairway and the sofa are from stand alone .obj files I got online and the rest are from other random Daz or Rederocity packages.

I plan to use this package to build the upstairs as well, it's really just going to be for the hallway with doors leading to the individual bedrooms and bathroom. For those I'll use Daz packages as well.

I can't say that this is a perfect solution but it's on that really helped solve an issue I had and may work for others.
Wow! that room looks great. How long have you been working on it?

I find it hard to do serious layout work inside Daz - the controls are so clumsy.

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
Good on you for trying to do it yourself in Blender. Even if you end up using mostly other people's created assets, you learn a lot about the 3d art process just by experiencing it yourself.

Creating in Blender and successfully importing to Daz can be quite tricky, I am still learning how to do it well myself.
i dont know how to import so that object is standing in the middle right away, its always upside-down or rotated weird. but u can just rotate it in blender and move it to where ever u want.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
i dont know how to import so that object is standing in the middle right away, its always upside-down or rotated weird. but u can just rotate it in blender and move it to where ever u want.
I've found the following process works for me when exporting a model from Blender to Daz:

Note: These are the final steps to transfer, after modelling and UV mapping is complete.

In blender:
  • all of these commands are in Object mode
  • rotate the object so it faces the "front" view (Numpad 1)
  • apply the rotation and scale transforms to the object (CTRL-A, "Apply Rotation and Scale")
  • Set the object origin to the true centre (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-C, Origin to Geometry)
  • Move the object to position 0,0,0 (use the Properties sidebar, which is opened with N, and in the Location fields set the X,Y,Z, values to 0)
  • if you want the object to sit at the "floor level" when imported to Daz, copy the "Z" dimension value (from the Properties sidebar) and paste into the Location Z field, but append a "/ 2" (divide by 2) to the string. Blender will do the division for you.
  • File - Export - Wavefront Obj: I use "-Z Forward" and "Y up"
In Daz:
  • File - Import
  • I keep the axis settings as "Lateral (X): X, Vertical (Y): Y, Depth (Z): Z", and the invert boxes not ticked.
And that imports the object with it facing the correct way, without any axis flips.

Reactions: monkeyposter_7
Jun 29, 2018
Wow! that room looks great. How long have you been working on it?
Thanks. I'm working on making a 2 story 4 bedroom home but I've mostly been working on the first floor at this time. Building the actual "structure" using the Collective3D Xpack3 tool just took a few hours. I later went back and started fine tuning and customizing things like the wall color, window blinds, and the stairway.

One thing to keep in mind is the floor, wall, and ceiling tiles don't automatically "snap" together by default so getting these tiles aligned correctly is a pain..... Unfortunately it wasn't till later that I thought about looking for the Daz tool setting to turn on snapping. UGH That would have made the building so much faster. :)

The home I'm designing is also a open floor plan so you can see the kitchen and breakfast area when in the living room. Leaving all those fully decorated rooms would really slow down renders so I'm also planning on doing copies of the home scene where I delete content from the other rooms not being used in those shots. Like having a dedicated Living Room scene where none of the kitchen, dining room, breakfast area, or bathroom are there. Hoping it helps speed up renders for those rooms.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks. I'm working on making a 2 story 4 bedroom home but I've mostly been working on the first floor at this time. Building the actual "structure" using the Collective3D Xpack3 tool just took a few hours. I later went back and started fine tuning and customizing things like the wall color, window blinds, and the stairway.

One thing to keep in mind is the floor, wall, and ceiling tiles don't automatically "snap" together by default so getting these tiles aligned correctly is a pain..... Unfortunately it wasn't till later that I thought about looking for the Daz tool setting to turn on snapping. UGH That would have made the building so much faster. :)

The home I'm designing is also a open floor plan so you can see the kitchen and breakfast area when in the living room. Leaving all those fully decorated rooms would really slow down renders so I'm also planning on doing copies of the home scene where I delete content from the other rooms not being used in those shots. Like having a dedicated Living Room scene where none of the kitchen, dining room, breakfast area, or bathroom are there. Hoping it helps speed up renders for those rooms.
removing geometry that is out of view is a great way to improve render speed.

alternatively, using (or similar) that drops the resolution of the textures in the distant parts of the scene can be very effective.

Sometimes if you want to get a reflection but don't want the speed issues, you can place a 2d plane behind the camera with a texture of the pre-rendered background scene in it. i've read that you can even use an emissions shader if there are lights you want to be reflected, but i didn't get a good result myself.