[VN] [TRANSLATION REQUEST] Gentle Original Series 01, GOS01 - Time for Punishment Class ~Taking Lessons for My Boyfriend~

Jul 7, 2017
So any news regarding how to extract text and/or translate?
I'd be willing to do a manual translation if we get a reliable method going. But its puzzling such a know public engine has so little support.
Somewhere on f95 there's a tool called VNMakerBasicDecryptor (or something like that) which can decrypt the files. I think this game uses the engine's default encryption key, so decryption ought to be straightforward. (After editing the files you should be able to re-encrypt them the exact same way as you decrypted them. I.e. stick them in the input directory and tell the tool to 'decrypt' them.)

If any of the text is actually part of image files rather than actual text, then naturally you'll need to use an image editor to handle those after decrypting them.

For dialogue-box text, search the decrypted json.js files for each instance of the "gs.ShowMessage" command, and edit the text in params->message->defaultText.

For choice text, search for the "vn.Choice" command instead. Edit the text in params->text->defaultText.

For character names, search for files containing a line that says "category": "characters". I'm not sure if you just have to edit the items->name value, or just the items->data->name->defaultText value, or both.

If you see any text codes such as "{LT:1}" then probably let those be, but you can find what those mean toward the end of this page: . Also, in case you aren't familiar with general string encoding: be aware that the text "\n" is a line-break. I think the gs.ShowMessage command will automatically wrap text as necessary, so you shouldn't need to add any extra \n breaks, but I could be wrong.

I think that's everything you need to know to start translating this game. But I say that based on like five minutes of looking through the game's files (plus pre-existing knowledge of the engine), so let me know if it seems like I've missed a necessary detail.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
I think that's everything you need to know to start translating this game. But I say that based on like five minutes of looking through the game's files (plus pre-existing knowledge of the engine), so let me know if it seems like I've missed a necessary detail.
Excellent answer, seems like copying text to clipboard is out of the question for now. I'm gonna try to decrypt the files and add this as translation project, unfortunately I already have a project going on, and time is always a factor. But I'll definitely try to get this done.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Just for reference, I couldn't find a specifc page or thread for that decrypt tool, but I've found from xj47 at this post.

edit: I just tested it out, and because in python, it worked like a charm in linux without issues. I've some of the dialog text, and indeed, its a bit of a pain as I have to manually search through each file for the gs.message groupings. But it really doesn't seem too bad, I think it will work out.

Another question tho, the tool doesn't specify that it can re-encrypt the files, did you mean I just have to apply the exact same command for de-crypting them?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017
Another question tho, the tool doesn't specify that it can re-encrypt the files, did you mean I just have to apply the exact same command for de-crypting them?
Should be, yeah. The function that this game's engine uses for encryption is its own inverse, so if you try to "decrypt" an unencrypted file then it'll actually encrypt it.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Should be, yeah. The function that this game's engine uses for encryption is its own inverse, so if you try to "decrypt" an unencrypted file then it'll actually encrypt it.
Alright, lets keep hopes its quite possible this will come to fruition.
I did a quick check and figured a bit on the structure of files, so its not gonna be too random having to look for text to translate. I also went ahead and a to better keep track of my work (my other project is also included in there).

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Alright lads, rejoice, its done.
I think pretty much all of it translated, but things still to do:
  1. Still have to proofread, I'll leave that to you
  2. As usual, here is a lot of onomatopoeia, I left those as is
  3. I tried my best to stay faithful to the original line, because of that some might not make sense
  4. for some reason they drop the girl's name from the middle and on, idk if it was a design choice
To install just extract the attached file inside the game folder.
As mentioned above, I didn't proofread at all yet, so I'll let you guys do it and if you find anything wrong and or suggestions, feel free to reply here and I'll add them at a later date.

Jan 31, 2021
Alright lads, rejoice, its done.
I think pretty much all of it translated, but things still to do:
  1. Still have to proofread, I'll leave that to you
  2. As usual, here is a lot of onomatopoeia, I left those as is
  3. I tried my best to stay faithful to the original line, because of that some might not make sense
  4. for some reason they drop the girl's name from the middle and on, idk if it was a design choice
To install just extract the attached file inside the game folder.
As mentioned above, I didn't proofread at all yet, so I'll let you guys do it and if you find anything wrong and or suggestions, feel free to reply here and I'll add them at a later date.
The original game has the data file as well. So, am I suppose to replace them