Unity VNty Engine - New VN / Sandbox game development tool - inputs from devs on features

kuroTenshi007

Apr 28, 2020
Hi,

I'm a game dev, experienced with Unity. I'm developing a new tool on Unity to easily build VN / Sandbox type games.

The idea is to build something similar to RenPy, but with more advanced features (auto generate code, load game texts from JSON, pre built UI features like character stats and other data display, MAP, save files as binary or JSON etc) and very little coding.
It will be a free and open source tool. I'll upload it to Github once I have some basic features up and running.

Dev inputs are appreciated.

Note : I'm new here, so mods, if there is a better place for this post, please let me know and I'll move it. Thanks

Dude5678

May 2, 2020
Consider using node editor for representation of game logic
LOL can't post URL because of policy

Emoon

May 4, 2017
Might want to check out. Found it a few days ago on reddit but since i'm not working with Unity i had no chance to test it, but i'm sure it might be of good use for some of you folks out there. :)

Reactions: kuroTenshi007

kuroTenshi007

Apr 28, 2020
Might want to check out. Found it a few days ago on reddit but since i'm not working with Unity i had no chance to test it, but i'm sure it might be of good use for some of you folks out there. :)
I'm actually using the node editor feature for game logic, tho coupling texts also with it would do more bad than good.
I always liked the idea of keeping the texts separately as a module which the tool can load and use, as opposed to being mixed with script / logic. Imagine if the tool could just load the texts in a specific format, you could essentially have your scriptwriter / translator adhere to it. So once they send it over, all you have to do is put it in the right folder and it just works! Simplicity is what I'm aiming for. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: duobumper and Emoon

kuroTenshi007

Apr 28, 2020
Okay so since I'm here, I might as well give some updates.

I have started working on the tool and kinda figured out how to automatically generate code for each Characters
Here's what I have so far.

You can use character wizard to create a new character, add fields (stats for the character).
1590354087902.png 1590354529726.png

Press save and compile, and the tool automatically generates the code for you.
1590354709422.png

Last edited:
Reactions: duobumper and Emoon

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
This might help me learn unity. I already know javascript at it is for node js apps I build.

BeardWonerArt

May 24, 2020
What about having an array of flags in your character class ? Would be useful imo to check conditions/ states of a character like owning items or stages of an event "hierarchy".

kuroTenshi007

Apr 28, 2020
What about having an array of flags in your character class ? Would be useful imo to check conditions/ states of a character like owning items or stages of an event "hierarchy".
That is definitely something to think about. (y)
I do have plans to add an enum type and that should do for states. Guess I'll look into arrays (lists are better since they can be modifed) once i have added enums in.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeardWonerArt