Want to get into game production what's the reccomended render program

Littleliara

Nov 18, 2018
I want to get into making adult games but am at a loss to start for render programs

Which would be the most reccomended for quality renders

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
I want to get into making adult games but am at a loss to start for render programs

Which would be the most reccomended for quality renders
Baby's First Renderer: Daz Studio

Advanced Renderer that Requires Advanced Know-how: Blender

Daz Studio is great at loading the assets they sell you, it's mediocre to awful at everything else. You can't pose or animate for shit, so you're stuck buying (or "sharing") the poses and animations they sell. Iray is a nice-looking renderer, but Daz didn't bother to program in advanced features like out of core rendering (you mix GPU RAM and system RAM), denoising passes (or even the ability to output a noisy images and a denoised image at the same time), or a workable node editor for shaders.

Blender is much more advanced. Posing and animation are great. Cycles is a production renderer used in TV and film, while every video made with Daz Studio is an embarrassing, cringeworthy failure. Obviously you will need to learn how to use Blender to take advantage of all this power, and that's going to take more time than Baby's First DCC. But even when using Daz Studio, you'll want to be able to make morphs and stuff, so it's worth it to start learning Blender too.

Daz content exports to Blender pretty well with the Diffeomorphic exporter. It used to be bad at exporting skin materials, but I reverse engineered Daz's Iray shader and told the exporter devs how to improve it, so now characters look pretty good (if I do say so myself).

I still use Daz Studio for conversation sprites. Like I said, Daz is great at loading presets they sell you. So in Daz Studio it's easy to load a premade pose and reuse it with different clothes, different lights, different hair, etc. Blender isn't made for presets, so it's not as good at that workflow, but it's fucking ace at actual scenes with characters walking around doing things.

Littleliara

Nov 18, 2018
Baby's First Renderer: Daz Studio

Advanced Renderer that Requires Advanced Know-how: Blender

Daz Studio is great at loading the assets they sell you, it's mediocre to awful at everything else. You can't pose or animate for shit, so you're stuck buying (or "sharing") the poses and animations they sell. Iray is a nice-looking renderer, but Daz didn't bother to program in advanced features like out of core rendering (you mix GPU RAM and system RAM), denoising passes (or even the ability to output a noisy images and a denoised image at the same time), or a workable node editor for shaders.

Blender is much more advanced. Posing and animation are great. Cycles is a production renderer used in TV and film, while every video made with Daz Studio is an embarrassing, cringeworthy failure. Obviously you will need to learn how to use Blender to take advantage of all this power, and that's going to take more time than Baby's First DCC. But even when using Daz Studio, you'll want to be able to make morphs and stuff, so it's worth it to start learning Blender too.

Daz content exports to Blender pretty well with the Diffeomorphic exporter. It used to be bad at exporting skin materials, but I reverse engineered Daz's Iray shader and told the exporter devs how to improve it, so now characters look pretty good (if I do say so myself).

I still use Daz Studio for conversation sprites. Like I said, Daz is great at loading presets they sell you. So in Daz Studio it's easy to load a premade pose and reuse it with different clothes, different lights, different hair, etc. Blender isn't made for presets, so it's not as good at that workflow, but it's fucking ace at actual scenes with characters walking around doing things.
Thankyou for the info,

I might just bite the bullet and learn blender first

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Thankyou for the info,

I might just bite the bullet and learn blender first
Don't forget, you'll still need Daz Studio to actually get characters. Blender doesn't come with any by itself. Those need to be exported from Daz Studio (or some other program like Character Creator 4), or you need to make them yourself.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Don't forget, you'll still need Daz Studio to actually get characters. Blender doesn't come with any by itself. Those need to be exported from Daz Studio (or some other program like Character Creator 4), or you need to make them yourself.
Blender has a few plugins to create humans actually, but you'd still need to create many things yourself whereas on DAZ3D you can just buy them.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Blender has a few plugins to create humans actually, but you'd still need to create many things yourself whereas on DAZ3D you can just buy them.
I tried a few, wouldn't recommend any of them for adult game development. Not only are the clothing/hair options very limited, nobody makes corrective shape keys, so they always look terrible when a character has their arms up. Daz has a library of tens of thousands of assets (not even counting Renderotica) and they provide plenty of JCMs for good-looking deforms. It has a good support system for erogame devs.

It's just the program itself that sucks, lol.

Vanderer

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
One who was omitted is Honey select. 1 or 2. Koikatsu too.

Not as high quality as Daz, and certainly not as Blender in the hands of someone who can use it, but on the other hand the workflow is faster. And you can use it even if you don't have a powerful pc, or if you do not have a Nvidia graphic card.(daz is usable with the cpu, but it's slow as hell)

Downsides: Less realistic, lower quality in general, and you have to mod the shit out of it, which is not always easy at first.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
One who was omitted is Honey select. 1 or 2. Koikatsu too.

Not as high quality as Daz, and certainly not as Blender in the hands of someone who can use it, but on the other hand the workflow is faster. And you can use it even if you don't have a powerful pc, or if you do not have a Nvidia graphic card.(daz is usable with the cpu, but it's slow as hell)

Downsides: Less realistic, lower quality in general, and you have to mod the shit out of it, which is not always easy at first.
That's another reason to avoid Daz, yeah: since it uses Nvidia's render engine, you're forced to buy Nvidia GPUs. (Blender works fine with Nvidia or AMD though.)

There's also Virt-a-Mate, but I know as much about that as I do about Honey Select or Koikatsu (absolutely nothing).

Edit: There's also SFMLab, which hosts a ton of ripped video game assets for lewd animations. You can find either SFM models or models converted to Blender over there. You can also convert them to Blender yourself, but that's a total pain in the ass and it isn't for the faint of heart.

Another option is XnaLara, which has a huge community on DeviantArt. That also has a Blender importer which is much easier to use than SFM's. But since it uses ripped game models, the animation skeletons are either extremely basic or fucking horrifying nightmares with 200 control bones. Either way, they're hard to work with unless you know what you're doing.

Edit #2: SFMLab also has , which may just be the single greatest piece of art produced by humanity.

Last edited: