Others - Completed - Way'' The Priestess of the Sword [ponidog]

1. 2.00 star(s)

thealucid

I regret the time I spent on this game. I'm going to try and remain somewhat objective in this review, and if nothing else I feel credit is due to the people who spent so much time translating this work. But goddamn, the story is such a narrative mess that it makes games like Summertime Saga resemble Shakespeare. Just terrible.

Pros:
    • Good art, game has a unique and very appealing style I hadn't seen before
    • Good translations for the parts that were translated
    • Gameplay mechanics, it's based around a game that's a kind of modified version of Koi Koi (I think?) using hanafuda cards.
    Cons:
    • Gameplay mechanics. This is clearly a mixed bag since I listed it as a pro as well. The gameplay is convoluted to say the least, and I spent like 30 minutes on youtube hanafuda tutorials to try and understand what was going on. While the tutorials certainly helped, and there are strategies you can pick up and employ, I've found the game seems to primarily depend on luck. There are additional mechanics added by the game, things that seem to be designed to mitigate the amount of luck required in your drawn hand to really progress the story. But it's such a hot mess of features that are never fully explained that I honestly only scratched their surface despite the hours I spent on this game.
    • Story, oh god the story. I have to admit I did not finish the game so I can't say for certain if it's fully bad. What I can say is that what I saw left me so nonplussed that I couldn't condone wasting any more time on the game. To give a brief synopsis:
      You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
      It's just so bad. I would have only recommended sticking around for the sex scenes because the art is nice, but this unfortunately brings us to our next point.
    • Sex/Impregnation segment of the game is untranslated. The only reason you'd play this segment of the game is for the art and the odd hanafuda game. Otherwise the only thing translated in this game appears to be the main story.
    So if you came only for lewd art, this game might be worth checking out. Gameplay, this game is possibly a fun curiosity to investigate. If you want story, I wouldn't touch this with a 12 foot pole.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

CoolDude4444

The plot made absolutely no sense, the sentences were structured in "Engrish" and to progress you had to play a card game that is stupidly annoying. All in all i consider the game a huge waste of my time and completely unplayable. You couldn't pay me to play this game again.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

HGCoward

An interesting game with support for custom characters, which gives the game pretty good replayability. Unfortunately, some of the mechanics in the game is quite obscure, and information on it in English is hard to come by.