RPGM - Wayward Lord [v0.002.5] [Sebas_Guzman]

1. 5.00 star(s)

MidnightKing

Review for v.001

Honestly I'm very pleasantly surprised with this game. Good RPGM games are always something I'm on the lookout for and this one feels like it's going to shape up into a banger. We play as a former demon king of lust who was killed in his world, and after some disembodied soul wandering, another world sucks us in. What do we want to do with our new found body? Retire and live happily surrounded by a bunch of girls. A pretty nice goal I think.

First and foremost, you should know this game is a true sandbox fit with a relatively large amount of grind. It plays closer to a RenPy sandbox honestly. You don't manually control a character like you normally would in an RPGM game. Rather, it's almost point and click style where you click a button to move to adjacent maps. On these maps are various little symbols for different girls, events, shops ,etc etc. There's no combat (thus far anyway) and nothing like minigames you repeat over and over either.

So how do you grind and what do you grind for then? It's fairly simple honestly. While there's a wide range of stats to manage for both yourself and others, you raise all of them by doing mini repeatable events (which are usually just a few lines of dialogue). The exception to this would be the stats that gets raised from sex, which as you might expect, comes from seeing sex scenes. There's also a sort of rogue-light/dungeon crawler esque exploration system when hunting but it's not super deep thus far. Neat idea though. This definitely feels very gamified compared to other games on the site.

What raised this up to 5 stars for me though was the writing. While the game doesn't take itself super seriously so far, it still feels competent. The MC feels charismatic and actually fun to play, and I'm liking the subtler representation of him being overpowered. The girls thus far are not terribly deep, but they are cute. The first few events between the Ram and Sheep girl really hooked me into this I think.

I have two bits of criticism so far. One is that the grind does start to feel a bit mundane. I like that it's quick and easy, but at the same time it's a bit boring because of it. The events that you repeat are often just a black screen with a couple lines describing what's happening, which is kind of uninteresting after the first few times. At the least I think it would be cool to actually have those events rendered out so I have something to look at.

The other is with sex scenes. The ones I seen are a bit on the short side and kind of simple I suppose. Maybe a consequence of most of them being with side girls, but the point stands. I also think the angles could be a lot better. Both vaginal scenes as an example didn't actually show the penetration. Felt a bit awkward really. It would be nice to see scenes expanded more to make them more memorable for lack of a better word.

TLDR - If you like sandbox games and don't mind grind, this is one to keep an eye on. I didn't go through all available content, but what I did play gave me a pretty good taste of the game. I'll now be eagerly awaiting this getting content updates for an eventual binge.