We need more games like these

Nov 2, 2020
I noticed that a lot of Nintendo fan games are cancelled. Hell we had a three houses one and peach untold tales was dmcaed. We would need a renpy game with character creation in the world of Nintendo ips. What do you guys think about it.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Didn't you just state that Nintendo actively destroys games inspired by their IP (they do the same thing for... everything, like this Bowser inspired dildo).

Any dev that, knowingly, starts making a nintendo fan parody game is just asking to get DMCA'ed and destroyed.

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
Hmm. If the person who made that dick prop didn't claim it was for Bowser, would it have been allowed to stay on Patreon? I think it would be. Nintendo didn't make that 3D prop.

I think the only reason it got taken down is because the person claimed it was for a nintendo character bowser. But even then, does nintendo own some kind of copyright to the name Bowser?

This is confusing. anyone offer some clarity?

From what legal standpoint can nintendo do a DMCA takedown over an asset they didn't even make?

Nov 2, 2020
That the also Nintendo always DMCAED thing that could impact their sales. DYKGAMING has video on YouTube with antdudes about it along with many others. Besides fair use protects people from being sued like this otherwise every people doing randomizer run of games like zelda would be taken down.

Apr 19, 2019
Messing with others' IP is always risky, especially when the owner of said IP is known to be particularly aggressive at protecting that IP. If someone really wants to make an adult Mario fangame, here's two of their best options:

1 - Develop the game in secret then release a finished product into the wild for free via Torrent under a pseudonym hidden behind a VPN among other anonymizing strategies. It has to spring up out of nowhere and not be traceable to anyone, which isn't really easy to do. Other drawbacks are that this rules out any crowdfunding. You can't hype up or market the game prior to release. Basically it has to be a labor of love that you release to the world and wash your hands of. Once it's out there it belongs to the Internet, and Nintendo can't stop it.

2 - Change enough to turn it into an "original" work, while still being fairly obviously inspired by the IP. If the princess is "Princess Apricot" and she wears a green dress and lives in the Turnip kingdom and needs to be rescued by a bearded carpenter named "Gianni" it becomes different enough that Nintendo has no claim to it. The more you change from the original, the safer you are.

May 3, 2018
Messing with others' IP is always risky, especially when the owner of said IP is known to be particularly aggressive at protecting that IP.
Agreed 100%. It always saddens me to see people pour so much time, energy, and effort into fan games only for them be (predictably) torpedoed by the IP holder.

I understand that you may be getting a lot of your enthusiasm for the project from the source material, but you should ALWAYS make your own original content. It will be your own, and if it becomes successful all that success will be unequivocally your own.

So many great creations from authors and developers have come about precisely because they examined WHY they liked some property or IP and then they made their own deconstructions / reassembly to make things that have gone on to be loved in their own right.

Reactions: apatheticcreative