Ren'Py Weird stutter in renpy games

Timur4417

Aug 1, 2021
Hello, i noticed that in all renpy games i get weird stutter when going to next render, animations start, or going to settings, gallery etc.
It happens only first time - when i rollback and go through it again it does not happen.
All my drivers are up to date, changing renders not helping.
Maybe something wrong with my pc, i got it recently.
Specs:
CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D
GPU: AMD 7900 XT
RAM: 32 gb ddr5
Storage: SSD 2tb
Sorry for bad english.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It is very likely not an issue with your computer, but with the games you are playing.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It happens only first time - when i rollback and go through it again it does not happen.
It looks like Ren'Py isn't predicting. Therefore, it need to load the image in real time, what explain the stuttering, but have them already in memory when it have to display them again after a rollback. But normally the prediction is automatic and I don't remember that there's a configuration value to disable it. It's also not a cache size issue, else you would have the same problem even after a rollback.

Do you add something to the games, like console-dirty.rpy (that can't be the cause) by example ?

Timur4417

Aug 1, 2021
It looks like Ren'Py isn't predicting. Therefore, it need to load the image in real time, what explain the stuttering, but have them already in memory when it have to display them again after a rollback. But normally the prediction is automatic and I don't remember that there's a configuration value to disable it. It's also not a cache size issue, else you would have the same problem even after a rollback.

Do you add something to the games, like console-dirty.rpy (that can't be the cause) by example ?
No, i don't

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018

It can actually happen due to cache, or at least there are some instances where they need to be predicted manually. I remember someone getting that issue fixed by doing either one of those things last year.

However, there is a similar issue that has been fixed by editing sound settings: https://f95zone.to/threads/suddenly...tuck-in-one-second-loops.125187/#post-8672315

Timur4417

Aug 1, 2021
It can actually happen due to cache, or at least there are some instances where they need to be predicted manually. I remember someone getting that issue fixed by doing either one of those things last year.

However, there is a similar issue that has been fixed by editing sound settings: https://f95zone.to/threads/suddenly...tuck-in-one-second-loops.125187/#post-8672315
Animations play fine, stutter happens when animation start playing or changes angle.
Thanks for the reply but sound settings are ok.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It can actually happen due to cache, or at least there are some instances where they need to be predicted manually.
But there are too few and too specific to lead to a constant stuttering in a single game, and even more in all games.
I would get it for a game like Super Powered, because it use "path/character/baseName_[variable].ext" for 90% of the CG. But games built that way are the exception, the average Ren'Py game is way more static. There's also the case of ATL animations, that can need too many images. But then it would be punctual.

It's not really the same issue since it address only one of the case OP encounter. For him, it happen any time there's something that need to be displayed on the screen, whatever a CG, a screen background, or an animation, while the case you point only regard animation, and happen because video and sound are handled by the same code.

At first I thought about a display issue (GL Versus GL2), but then it would also happen after a rollback.