• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Weird transparent frame before animation starts

3DeadAngel

Game Developer
May 10, 2023
This is something which makes my head scratch for quite some time now as I personally haven't seen a single post about this. Basically whenever you enter an animation it has a short weird transparent frame (The picture shown here i just downloaded from google. In my game it shows for a short time only and it's hard to screenshot it but it looks like this transparent image)

Any ideas what this might be? My code looks like this:
image blabla movie = Movie(play="blabla.webm")

scene blabla movie with Dissolve(.3)
View attachment video-just-appears-as-transparent-v0-62iw6wzzp6fb1.webp

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
This is something which makes my head scratch for quite some time now as I personally haven't seen a single post about this.
Where have you looked for such post exactly ?
Just for the Dev Help part of the forum there's at least a dozen threads regarding that particular issue. I'm almost sure that I answered to few in that part of the forum and in the general troubleshooting section, and there's surely also few posts in some Ren'Py game threads, while I doubt that there's none in the part of the forum dedicated to sole developers. And of course, directly return relevant answers ; in both Ren'Py official forum and what seem to have become Ren'Py officious forum, here.

[...] it has a short weird transparent frame [...]
That is, like said somewhere in the doc, Ren'Py's default background. A black screen for players, and the usual transparency checkered scheme, for a better visibility, when the developer mode is unable.

[...] In my game it shows for a short time only [...]
The time during which Ren'Py have already removed the previous image, but haven't yet finished to load the movie.

Any ideas what this might be? My code looks like this:
image blabla movie = Movie(play="blabla.webm")
While, as said by , it should looks like:
image whatever movie = Movie( play="whatever.ext",start_image="first_movie_frame.ext" )

Reactions: 3DeadAngel

3DeadAngel

Game Developer
May 10, 2023
Where have you looked for such post exactly ?
Just for the Dev Help part of the forum there's at least a dozen threads regarding that particular issue. I'm almost sure that I answered to few in that part of the forum and in the general troubleshooting section, and there's surely also few posts in some Ren'Py game threads, while I doubt that there's none in the part of the forum dedicated to sole developers. And of course, directly return relevant answers ; in both Ren'Py official forum and what seem to have become Ren'Py officious forum, here.

That is, like said somewhere in the doc, Ren'Py's default background. A black screen for players, and the usual transparency checkered scheme, for a better visibility, when the developer mode is unable.

The time during which Ren'Py have already removed the previous image, but haven't yet finished to load the movie.

While, as said by , it should looks like:
image whatever movie = Movie( play="whatever.ext",start_image="first_movie_frame.ext" )
Thanks! I guess I'm blind then. I was googling my issue but I guess I wasn't clear of how I written my problem in there so there was no answers at all.
Sorry for wasting your time with this ahahah:D