What are decent alternatives to Daz3D when it comes to using the models in realtime rendering?

carderellis

May 13, 2018
From what I've gathered, DAZ license for 3D realtime rendering (in games where your models actually move, and not prerendered like the way we use it in renpy) is pretty shitty. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to pay extra for EACH item you use, which will suck.

Now I know a lot of us are pirates here, but what if I want some alternatives? I'm hoping some of you list suggestions along with your perceived difficulty level from the perspective of someone new to modeling/rigging/etc.

My thoughts (have not researched much):

1. Just pay someone (probably difficult, wallet-wise)
2. Learn blender, then find a free model somewhere and attach a pp to it (I heard it's challenging to start but easy once you get the hang of it. Not sure where to find good quality generic character models)
3. ????

aereton

Mar 9, 2018
Unfortunately, no sustainable options here besides the two you listed. That's one of the many many reasons why there are so few realtime 3D games like that out there and the ones that do exist often kinda suck.

Learning modeling, rigging and animating will be necessary if you don't have the money to outsource that labor. So you either get ready to spend months or years learning to get good results or have some cash ready. Sorry to disappoint but there is no easy solution right now.

jidgbfm

Aug 26, 2022
it really depends on what you are actually looking for: A "character" is easy to make - even including rigging - by means of "makeHuman" and the like. It's really basically click-a-di-click.
DESIGNING a character is a different game. There are tools that can help (like shape estimater, face gens etc), but at the end of all days, it's what artists are getting paid for. Not the click-the-dick, but making that dick look good.

If you are after "simple assets" like a dildo or (if you are American and afraid of anything natural) a machine gun, there are free models on various sites (that all look shitty in various degrees) from which you could derive your "real deal meal". You can just as well use your mobile phone and scan what you need, then do a quick retopo (there are tools that do this semi-automatically) and you'd have better material than stock.

Keep in mind that depending on your "game engine" you may face limitations in terms of rigging, deformation etc.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Unity has UMA, Unreal has that human thingie whose name i can't remember, and Blender has generators like MakeHuman. However, all of them need some editing, mostly to turn them into nsfw.

Buying the license for each piece you'll be using in real time is actually not a big deal... If you are making a real time 3D game, you'll be buying only the characters.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Until some one of us hack the unreal's meta human. Daz only viable option and thats why thats expensive.

However, after checking character prices in game asset markets you will realize it was a steal. There is no replacement for daz.

Start pirating. No one after you, but use daz chars visely. Go after morphs not invidiual chars.when you start make money. join daz club start to hunt down your used assets.