What are some of the most overused 3D models/dresses in adult games?

BrokenDreams

Apr 16, 2019
As we know most of the games here use the same basic DAZ3D models(with some tweaking).Those who have played a lot of games here,can you give your list of the most overused character models/dresses/assets etc?

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
I think it's changing right now, as developers have began to use lots of new models (genesis 8 brought a lot of variety). In the era of Lessons of Passion and similar, you can see all the same dresses and hairs at a glance. (I remember with nostalgia chubby Scarlet johanson in a Lessons of Passion game, she was some kind of secret agent).

I guess right now the things that continue to be easy to catch are simple thing like teen pijama shorts...

But If I had to tell something from the last years, I guess Victoria 7 with crayon hair is the big offender.
150625_Victoria7.jpg

Reactions: BrokenDreams

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
I find shame that I myself use Crayon hair on a main character... But well, I have a shitload of characters in my game.. xD

Drakan47

Dec 17, 2018
What most people are paying attention to (and therefore what the most effort tends to go towards) is the appearance of the female characters; so I'm willing to bet you'll find the most overused are the assets for male characters.

Most just won't bother trying to make interesting, unique guys... because looking at the guys is usually not what people are playing (and paying) for.

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
You're right there, but it also has some sense... IRL Males are not known for wearing lots of different dresses, bathsuits... T-shirt, jean, Suit, shorts... Just a change of color/shader/texture... New whole male.

But talking about males, I guess even known male models repeat themselves a lot. Just a fast check to dazstore genesis male models, and you'll see unmodified main characters for lots of games..

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Lets see, probably the items I see most overused are as follows:

The Model for the daughter that was used in Dating my Daughter has been used so many times, in it's various forms and alterations and resolutions. There have been some slight alterations to it as the 3D Modelling software it came from has updated over the last several years, but it is in essence a very over used model, especially in Daughter situations. See some examples below:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

9 times out of 10 the clothing shop/boutiques used is the same one we see over and over again, from one VN/Game to another... Maybe with just a few tweaks now and then... You can typically tell right away, when it has the same exact swirly wall paper.... Heck, I've even seen that same wallpaper pattern used on clothing and other stuff. Just see below:

As to actual dresses, I think the biggest issue we have is that because Daz 3D has so many pre-made dresses, some of which may be cheaper to purchase then others... You then see a pattern of using the same pre-designed clothes, over and over again, especially when the Artists developing these VN/Games don't have the desire and/or talent to create something themselves... I don't really see a particular dress that is itself over used...

But I do see a pattern of ridiculous and unrealistic looking swim wear, that is trending, and is perhaps starting to be overused... Usually done in a copied like pattern of design, from one VN/Game to another... I couldn't easily find a direct example, but take the following image (see spoiler below), remove the grill across the stomach area, take the straps and reduce them by 50% in width or more, remove the straps going around the waste, and you end up with a swimsuit that is completely unpractical for actual use and totally unrealistic... And yet I see a pattern of use by many developers, trying to portray a super sexy swim suit just like it, that might as well just be non-existent at that point... When a swimsuit becomes that unrealistic and impractical, I just laugh more then find it sexy... And you typically see it worn by characters that are being played out as over-sexual or slut stereotyped...

You see more overused models in VN/Games using Honey Select then any others... Especially with the male characters... Mostly because the selection of choices is so low for male models... And with the females, there is only so much you can do, depending on the artists skill/talent with using the software, when trying to modify pre-generated models to be different enough... It's very possible to make a bunch of unique looking models and so forth, but again, many factors come into play... And yet with HS models, in many HS based VN/Games, we just have a greater tendency to find very similar looking characters/models... Even backdrops... Of course the same issues exist with other 3D modelling software as well, but I see it in HS ones much more often...

In my reviews, I always mention when I see a developer using the same visuals I've already seen many times before... Because it shows a lack of originality... And I think it's a mix of developers either wanting to copy something they've seen and liked, or because they just don't have the talent and/or resources to use/make something different and/or unique... But it still hurts a VN/Game, especially if it is models, backdrops, and/or clothing that has been used dozens of other times already... As a developer, you have to expect a hit on the originality scale, and not be hurt when it is pointed out... Even if you tried your best...

Zip

BrokenDreams

Apr 16, 2019
Lets see, probably the items I see most overused are as follows:

The Model for the daughter that was used in Dating my Daughter has been used so many times, in it's various forms and alterations and resolutions. There have been some slight alterations to it as the 3D Modelling software it came from has updated over the last several years, but it is in essence a very over used model, especially in Daughter situations. See some examples below:

9 times out of 10 the clothing shop/boutiques used is the same one we see over and over again, from one VN/Game to another... Maybe with just a few tweaks now and then... You can typically tell right away, when it has the same exact swirly wall paper.... Heck, I've even seen that same wallpaper pattern used on clothing and other stuff. Just see below:

As to actual dresses, I think the biggest issue we have is that because Daz 3D has so many pre-made dresses, some of which may be cheaper to purchase then others... You then see a pattern of using the same pre-designed clothes, over and over again, especially when the Artists developing these VN/Games don't have the desire and/or talent to create something themselves... I don't really see a particular dress that is itself over used...

But I do see a pattern of ridiculous and unrealistic looking swim wear, that is trending, and is perhaps starting to be overused... Usually done in a copied like pattern of design, from one VN/Game to another... I couldn't easily find a direct example, but take the following image (see spoiler below), remove the grill across the stomach area, take the straps and reduce them by 50% in width or more, remove the straps going around the waste, and you end up with a swimsuit that is completely unpractical for actual use and totally unrealistic... And yet I see a pattern of use by many developers, trying to portray a super sexy swim suit just like it, that might as well just be non-existent at that point... When a swimsuit becomes that unrealistic and impractical, I just laugh more then find it sexy... And you typically see it worn by characters that are being played out as over-sexual or slut stereotyped...

You see more overused models in VN/Games using Honey Select then any others... Especially with the male characters... Mostly because the selection of choices is so low for male models... And with the females, there is only so much you can do, depending on the artists skill/talent with using the software, when trying to modify pre-generated models to be different enough... It's very possible to make a bunch of unique looking models and so forth, but again, many factors come into play... And yet with HS models, in many HS based VN/Games, we just have a greater tendency to find very similar looking characters/models... Even backdrops... Of course the same issues exist with other 3D modelling software as well, but I see it in HS ones much more often...

In my reviews, I always mention when I see a developer using the same visuals I've already seen many times before... Because it shows a lack of originality... And I think it's a mix of developers either wanting to copy something they've seen and liked, or because they just don't have the talent and/or resources to use/make something different and/or unique... But it still hurts a VN/Game, especially if it is models, backdrops, and/or clothing that has been used dozens of other times already... As a developer, you have to expect a hit on the originality scale, and not be hurt when it is pointed out... Even if you tried your best...

Zip
I am surprised that nobody mentioned the fat,bald boss in literally every 3D corruption game ever.

Reactions: 215303j

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Genesis 8 has the least variety of options, because the model is new.
Victoria 4 has the largest variety of clothing to choose from because the model has been used in many Hollywood movies even today, is very versatile, and has had a lot of clothing options made for it over the years.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
You're right there, but it also has some sense... IRL Males are not known for wearing lots of different dresses, bathsuits... T-shirt, jean, Suit, shorts... Just a change of color/shader/texture... New whole male.

But talking about males, I guess even known male models repeat themselves a lot. Just a fast check to dazstore genesis male models, and you'll see unmodified main characters for lots of games..
What I find disturbing the most, as far as repeating patterns with male models, is when the developers decide to have the male protagonist and/or other male models with penis's that are larger then average to the point of being unbelievably big... Especially for the models frame... Or when it is so over done, as to have these super large veins sticking out, almost like the person isn't a human being... Having larger then average penis's is all well and good, but there is larger then normal and then there is ridiculously large for their body frame... If it is a parody situation, I can maybe allow some leeway, but most of the time it's just trying to feed into a super masculinity frame of mind... And yet it looks more disgusting and unrealistic, then adding to the sexiness of scenes and/or events...

Same goes for overly sized breast on a female character... I understand there is a big breast fetish, but when they are so large that they become unseemly and/or impractical then I just find them disturbing more then sexy... I don't really think most men realize just how bad it is for many women who have overly sized breasts... The amount of back pain, lack of clothing choices, and all the other crap a woman has to go through with really large breasts... There is this thing called gravity... And when they are really oversized in these VN/Games, I no long see them as realistic and/or sexy and the appeal/immersion just gets thrown out the kitchen window... I'm a "hand full is good enough for me" kind of guy, and I do understand the appeal some people have for larger breasts on women, but there is large and then there is ridiculous...

Zip

N1K17Y

Jun 12, 2017
I think it's changing right now, as developers have began to use lots of new models (genesis 8 brought a lot of variety). In the era of Lessons of Passion and similar, you can see all the same dresses and hairs at a glance. (I remember with nostalgia chubby Scarlet johanson in a Lessons of Passion game, she was some kind of secret agent).

I guess right now the things that continue to be easy to catch are simple thing like teen pijama shorts...

But If I had to tell something from the last years, I guess Victoria 7 with crayon hair is the big offender.
View attachment 296568
god i hate this hairstyle, its so fucking ugly and on top of that used in half the games.

this one is gotta be the most overused one. 3/4 games will have a character with this hair.

devs assume that nobody cares about male characters so like 90% of the games MC looks the same. love it when MC has uniqueness to his look. makes it feel like the dev actually put effort into the entire product.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Not to derail the thread, but the quality of Daz assets is all over the place. Lots of clothes clip and bunch up in different poses. Some of them just don't fit certain model shapes very well, etc. Some of them have terrible textures that never seem to look right. So you can spend a lot of time manually fixing these issues, or just use something else. Some people go out of their way to make brand new textures for assets they want to use and more power to them, but it's a lot of work. I don't think a character can't wear a dress just because the same dress showed up in a different game.

Personally, when I want to make a character I make sure that it's not just a stock version. I'll usually start with some base model that's somewhat close to what I want then mix and match model sliders until I get something I like. A trained eye might spot the influences, but hopefully they don't look like carbon copies. After getting a decent baseline, it's on to minor tweaks with individual facial features, etc. Same process with the body.

When it comes to locations, you'll find there are very few options for certain places. So again, you can try to modify it a bit, but some people don't want to spend the extra time. Creating things from scratch is always an option, but again, time consuming. So I think devs should make some effort to be a bit original, but at the end of the day they have to decide how much time it's worth.

More on topic, the sexy secretary outfit (various versions) does show up a lot. Outside of Victoria, I feel like Jolina shows up a fair bit.

Reactions: Carion_Crow

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Genesis 8 has the least variety of options, because the model is new.
Victoria 4 has the largest variety of clothing to choose from because the model has been used in many Hollywood movies even today, is very versatile, and has had a lot of clothing options made for it over the years.
Victoria 4 indeed has the more variety because it has been out there more years than the others, and I personally have a big database of them and use them a lot with newer models, but most modern devs don't use them because 1) Not autoinstall 2) More hard to find 3)hard to fit correctly to new models without 3dmodelling, but point 3 is an issue for all clothes and generations.

In terms of different character models, right now g8 has the biggest variety you can find and download with ease right now, much more than anytime has been with g1 g2 and g3. Problem is maybe clothes; as new clothes appears to download, they appear in the new chapter of ever other game. So mostly that's the issue, easy of reach.

I'll not be catched alive with a screenshoot featuring less than different generations, marvelous designer made clothes and every clothes passed thru Zbrush in order to fit adequatly to each body xD But that is no requiremente for a good story, anyways.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Victoria 4 indeed has the more variety because it has been out there more years than the others, and I personally have a big database of them and use them a lot with newer models, but most modern devs don't use them because 1) Not autoinstall 2) More hard to find 3)hard to fit correctly to new models without 3dmodelling, but point 3 is an issue for all clothes and generations.

In terms of different character models, right now g8 has the biggest variety you can find and download with ease right now, much more than anytime has been with g1 g2 and g3. Problem is maybe clothes; as new clothes appears to download, they appear in the new chapter of ever other game. So mostly that's the issue, easy of reach.

I'll not be catched alive with a screenshoot featuring less than different generations, marvelous designer made clothes and every clothes passed thru Zbrush in order to fit adequatly to each body xD But that is no requiremente for a good story, anyways.

Reactions: SeventhVixen

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
I am surprised that nobody mentioned the fat,bald boss in literally every 3D corruption game ever.
Yeah, I know which one you are talking about... I just didn't think of it, as my mind, probably, is blocking it out... hehe... As he is a disgusting looking model... Probably one of the worst ones out there...

Zip

BrokenDreams

Apr 16, 2019
Yeah, I know which one you are talking about... I just didn't think of it as my mind probably is blocking it out... hehe... As he is a disgusting looking model... Probably one of the worst ones out there...

Zip
He's always a successful person in games and always gets the girls across multiple game verses.Put some respect in his model:sneaky:.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
He's always a successful person in games and always gets the girls across multiple game verses.Put some respect in his model:sneaky:.
Typically when I see that model being used, I immediately become a bit apprehensive in continuing to play/read the VN/Game he appears in... I really think that model is revolting... And most likely the developer has a twisted sense of humor to even include him... The sex appeal of any situation in which he is used, is instantaneously drained away, and all that remains is a feeling like I want to vomit... The model should be burned from the internet...

Zip

BrokenDreams

Apr 16, 2019
Typically when I see that model being used, I immediately become a bit apprehensive in continuing to play/read the VN/Game he appears in... I really think that model is revolting... And most likely the developer has a twisted sense of humor to even include him... The sex appeal of any situation in which he is used, is instantaneously drained away, and all that remains is a feeling like I want to vomit... The model should be burned from the internet...

Zip
What you said is true and all but now I would like to know what if in a game the model is the MC,a very kind hearted good person.Would you like to play as him?

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
What you said is true and all but now I would like to know what if in a game the model is the MC,a very kind hearted good person.Would you like to play as him?
Hell to the no... hehe... Sorry, when any VN/Game actually shows visuals for the protagonist, if the model isn't somewhat appealing or believable, I have a real hard time becoming immersed into the story or the plight of the protagonist... That model has no redeemable qualities, and I really believe the only reason developers use it, is either because it was cheap to buy, or because they know full well it's gross and they have a sick sense of humor... It doesn't appear all that often really, but when it does, I hate it... Therefore it is overused just by being used at all... And the VN/Games that use it, in any erotic scene/event, typically aren't the best anyway... That's pretty much my last word about that model...

Zip