What are your thoughts on Unreal Engine Games?

Zeboon

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2024
I may plan to make a small unreal engine game. However I wanted to know the general consensus about them. Do you guys like them, if so what's your favorite and why?

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
LMAOOO I hear that, I've got a good PC so it doesn't do much to me. I'm guessing it's lack of optimization that's the problem then?
Pretty much. I admittedly haven't played a ton of them (a lot of them seem furry, which isn't my bag). I don't blame the devs either. Being a one man show, optimization is probably the last thing on a lot of peoples minds. Incorporating FSR would probably help people with not so great PCs.

Zeboon

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2024
Pretty much. I admittedly haven't played a ton of them (a lot of them seem furry, which isn't my bag). I don't blame the devs either. Being a one man show, optimization is probably the last thing on a lot of peoples minds. Incorporating FSR would probably help people with not so great PCs.
Probably won't start with open world anything then. I'll see if I can make hub worlds instead so it can limit the amount of shit on screen and try to figure out techniques for optimization.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Insomnimaniac Games

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Probably won't start with open world anything then. I'll see if I can make hub worlds instead so it can limit the amount of shit on screen and try to figure out techniques for optimization.
Wish I could point you in the right direction, but the only thing I know about Unreal Engine is how to spell its name. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Zeboon

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
That's a pretty vage question. :unsure:

What exactly is an "Unreal Engine Game"? All what that says is, that's it's 3d and propably a first or third person game.

Zeboon

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2024
That's a pretty vage question. :unsure:

What exactly is an "Unreal Engine Game"? All what that says is, that's it's 3d and propably a first or third person game.
Hmm at first I was going to say "Not vague because of the engines specific problems" But when I think of it you're right. I'd say I'm thinking of making a first person game. What are your thoughts on non-visual novel sex games? Do you like them? What are some of your favs?

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Hmm at first I was going to say "Not vague because of the engines specific problems" But when I think of it you're right. I'd say I'm thinking of making a first person game. What are your thoughts on non-visual novel sex games? Do you like them? What are some of your favs?
Oh, I never mentioned any of the ones I played. Whoops! Of them, I'd say Last Hope was the best. Also first person, but with third person possible in sex scenes,

NaughtyOnes

Aug 7, 2019
The tech while good takes more than a small one or two person dev team to make anything that while might look good at the time will be far to dated in the 20 years it takes to finish, so far I have not seen one in a state that I would actually call a game but more of a proof of concept or empty to world to walk around with a few instances of go here or there to haz seggs.

kilobananov

Nov 3, 2019
To expand the previous question - what exactly is a "small Unreal Engine game"? :)
I'd say that UE itself is too big to make something small. Especially if you are on your own (or even in a small team).

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
When it comes to H-games, UE generally results in utter garbage that runs like crap, or glorified animation galleries that run like crap (Wild Life, Fallen Doll).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
My thoughts ? Well, it's between, "yet another game that will only be playable if you share the same keyboard layout, screen resolution, and next next generation (there's no typo) computer that the dev", and, "yet another game that will never be completed".

The engine have the potential to do great things, but I share Pretentious Goblin opinion, most of the games are garbage. Either the dev/team is overwhelmed by the difficulty of the task, or he/they want to prove themselves and it's a fuck feast that goes in all direction without anything behind.
As for small Unreal games, I'm tempted to say that they are the worse ones. The engine is too demanding, both in terms of resources, that it terms of development, to do something small. So the games generally ends being on the second category, a showcase of the dev/team capabilities but with near to no interest nor actual play value. Unity or Godot are more suitable for that kind of games.

Zeboon

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2024
To expand the previous question - what exactly is a "small Unreal Engine game"? :)
I'd say that UE itself is too big to make something small. Especially if you are on your own (or even in a small team).
I see honestly I might be inclined to agree with you there it's technically just me and I'm not rich. Even transferring to Unity would take a decent 2 - 3 man team if its anything other than a very very small game. Something text based in fact would be one man in unity

Zeboon

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2024
My thoughts ? Well, it's between, "yet another game that will only be playable if you share the same keyboard layout, screen resolution, and next next generation (there's no typo) computer that the dev", and, "yet another game that will never be completed".

The engine have the potential to do great things, but I share Pretentious Goblin opinion, most of the games are garbage. Either the dev/team is overwhelmed by the difficulty of the task, or he/they want to prove themselves and it's a fuck feast that goes in all direction without anything behind.
As for small Unreal games, I'm tempted to say that they are the worse ones. The engine is too demanding, both in terms of resources, that it terms of development, to do something small. So the games generally ends being on the second category, a showcase of the dev/team capabilities but with near to no interest nor actual play value. Unity or Godot are more suitable for that kind of games.
Yep honestly as I've said I think I see what you mean. I think I'll stick with 3d in renpy or RPGM.

Zeboon

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2024

I just saw a ton of "Tech Demo" Games that although look awesome (To developers) isn't to regular folk. Non developers look at the base product rather than the underline code, art, and more put into it. I'm thinking sticking to small manageable engines are honestly the way to go.

Zeboon

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2024
Thank you guys for the feedback! I think I'll stick to being small and once I gain more of a following I'll branch out to something like Unity then UE5.