• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py What could go wrong? [Development Thread]

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
Hello.

I am working on my first adult VN called "What could go wrong?" The idea for the game was born 2 years ago. I was inspired by the VNs I played. Since then, I started to learn Daz3d, renpy and began to put on "paper" the story I want to tell.

You will play the role of a guy in his late 20s. You work in a workshop for a guy who helped you get out of trouble — the trouble you got into through your own stupidity and hubris.
Every choice made by the player will say something about the main character and his past through relationships/dialogue with NPCs. Some choices will show the consequences of the decisions made. That is why I do not want to give too much information here about the MC. The player will learn everything through the character's interactions with the outside world.

A few days ago, I set up patreon page where I have already posted a description and the results of my work.I intend to post regularly, but unfortunately, I will have to put some posts containing images behind a paid wall.
The patreon's algorithm does not accept my pictures even though they do not contain nudity.

Last edited:
Reactions: ActiveShooter

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
Hello.

Some info about my game.

Animation.

There will be no animation.I do not want to force them into the game just for the sake of it — short, poorly executed. Of course, I really want animations to be part of my game, but at the current moment, it would take too much time. This process requires learning and perfecting and, besides, it would put a strain on the computer on which I am working.

I already have some animation. Not to say that I am not doing anything in this direction, but I do not know yet if I will put them in the game.

Music.

The theme is the same as with animation. I would like to have music in my game, but at the moment I prefer to focus on producing renders and pushing the story forward.

On EP 0/introduction.

I started working on the game from EP 1.That is why I have the MC and LIs already created - their appearance in Daz3d and partly about their personality/history, etc.

The plan was that during the interaction MC with the world, I would throw in pieces from his past — events of a few/some weeks ago to show what happened to the MC.

Later, I decided that I was not experienced enough as a creator to mix the present with the past and chose to start from the beginning — in this case, with the creation of EP 0.

At the moment, the number of renders is 650, and it will not stop there.

Here's the MC.

MC_01.jpg

MC_02.jpg

And this is one of LI - Amanda.

A_01.jpg

A_02.jpg

TAGs (on release): 3DCG,male protagonist, romance, teasing, vaginal sex, oral sex ,handjob , creampie, dating sim.
More of this will appear as the storyline develops.

Last edited:

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
This is how I free up some memory to speed up loading time. It took me a while to understand that all that matters is what the camera sees.

preview_EP0_8.jpg

work_in_progres.jpg

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
This is how I free up some memory to speed up loading time. It took me a while to understand that all that matters is what the camera sees.
I really don't see enough people recommending this for those lacking in VRAM, but instead of cutting off the male model who's supposed to be in that suit, you could always just spot render him after you render both of the girls, then drop that spot render'd guy into photoshop while you're doing postwork on the girls. Not necessarily in this case, but in general.

Reactions: WsZ

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
Hello.

I am gradually approaching the end of work on the first part of Ep0. I came to an agreement and have been working with a proofreader for several days.
I finished rendering path b and started working on the ending of scene 7. When I'm done with that, I need to add some pictures to scene 1.
After that, it remains for me to test the game, and finally release it.
preview_EP0_05.jpg

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
Hi.
I am still working on the end of scene 7. I have a lot of work to do because the final event of scene 7 has three endings.

I am getting close to 800 renders. While the computer is busy rendering, I am polishing what I have put into the renpy so far.
preview_EP0_06.jpg
I hope this is the last progress report before the release of "What Could Go Wrong".
Everything will become clear in about 7-10 days.

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
Greetings.

I have a few dozen images of scene 7 left to render. After that, I'm going to redo the scene 1. I wanted to release the VN before the end of the month but...
One thing I did not take into consideration when I wrote the last report. My computer is able to render a given number of images per day and I cannot get around that.
So, while the computer is working on the next batch of images, I'm testing and correcting what I've put into the renpy so far.
During these tests, it came out that I had to add a few images here and there because the content did not match what I wanted to achieve.
Not to mention that I wanted to add some animations at the end of scene 7.

I will get back to you soon.

Kratzeis

Apr 11, 2017
Looks Nice and I like your renders. Cant wait the story in actions and what you have on your minds tags looks also nice with dating some you mean also that you need to develop some trust before something happens or is it more vn and its more dating sim telling that you have some dialogues but you can not get i wrong and the game (you doing it for us ?

MrD812

Oct 24, 2021
Looking good, keep up the innovations.
Refreshing for a change, indeed.
Like Your style! (y)

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
Thank you.
After the release, I will be able to answer some questions.
I do not want to leak something.

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
Hello.

I am finishing rendering scene 1. In addition, I am working on animations.

I also need to add a few more things to the game, but it is not too taxing on my computer.

The upside of rendering animations is that I have plenty of time to do other things, including finding and selecting the right music for the scenes.

The total number of images is over 850.

Once I have dealt with all of this, the only thing left to do is to release the VN.

WsZ

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2019
Hello.

Finally! It took me longer than I anticipated, but I got to the part where I can release the game.

This is a big milestone for me. From the idea to the realization.
At the moment, my priority is to push the storyline forward and that is why the animations you will see are what they are.
I prefer to focus on world-building, the MC's story, his adventures and the women he will meet.

I was looking forward to releasing the WCgW.
This caused me to lose a few nights, but mainly because I was worried whether the game would be positively received and whether it would be to the liking of some people.
I can finally start working on the 2nd part of EP0.

As for the game itself, this is not the final state of the game. With each future release, I will try to add new elements to the VN.
I hope some of you will like my VN.
Please leave an opinion/review and those who can afford it, please consider supporting the project.

I am also planning to launch a discord server.

One advice, don't just stick on one choice. Check out every possible options. In my VN, I put a lot of emphasis on making sure every choice has consequences.
This is a preview of the direction in which the game will develop.

Have a good time.
WsZ

This version is available for everyone.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: "CJ" and F1_V10