what do you prefer?

1st Person or 3rd Person?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dekuopa

Feb 11, 2018
I'm started making a vn with koikatu(very original) and i made a few renders but I don't know if i wanna make it first person or third person, What do you prefer?
here is an example render. tie - Copy.png

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
It depend what you mean by 1st/3rd person.
Do you mean as in the pov of the renders ? like they are taken from the eyes of the characters or from outside view.
Or do you mean in story telling, as in the story is told from internal pov of mc with his thoughts included in dialogue or from external watcher pov ?

Dekuopa

Feb 11, 2018
It depend what you mean by 1st/3rd person.
Do you mean as in the pov of the renders ? like they are taken from the eyes of the characters or from outside view.
Or do you mean in story telling, as in the story is told from internal pov of mc with his thoughts included in dialogue or from external watcher pov ?
I wasn't very clear and I apologize, I meant 1st person as if you were looking through the mc's eyes.

Reactions: Stompai

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
I wasn't very clear and I apologize, I meant 1st person as if you were looking through the mc's eyes.
Then my answer would the same as Riktor.
Even for games with a gameplay based on first person view, almost each time we have moments where we switch to 3rd person for cinematics and story telling moments for example.
For a vn, and an adult one with, I guess, sex scenes. Staying in 1st person can both give a more immersive experience, but it can also limits possibilities.

My advice would be not to lock yourself with this view, and why not including some 1st person view scene when you think it's appropriate, or just for some diversity ^^

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
In my experiance first person is rarely done well.

For example: Looking at a woman while sucking her tits would show us very little.
Likewise sneaking around means we spend a lot of time looking at a wall.

First person point of view is hard to get right.
Like the rest i woudnt suggest limeting yourself to one point of view.

Try playings sims 4 wicked whims mods in first person view.
You start to see just how little you accauly look at the action.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i vote 3rd person ,, altho i don't think theres anything wrong with 1st person , its just not necessary in some games :unsure:

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
As I Koikatu dev, I do both things depending on the situation I'm in.

Now, I problem that I have is that boy's face lots of time seems expressionless so I do POV or a weird shit in the middle like this:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
imagine if you were a photographer who only took pictures from the POV of their subjects.
The subject of a photography being what you are trying to take in picture, how all this can have a sense ? The only way to have the subject from the point of view of the subject, is to put it face to a mirror.

Unless they are using a tripod, all photographers take pictures from their own point of view ; this being to be take literally, what they see is what they photography.
Exactly like 1st person games/visual novels show us the action from the point of view of the main character. He's a photographer who took all his life in photography, and now he is showing them to us, reenacting each scenes.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
The subject of a photography being what you are trying to take in picture, how all this can have a sense ? The only way to have the subject from the point of view of the subject, is to put it face to a mirror.

Unless they are using a tripod, all photographers take pictures from their own point of view ; this being to be take literally, what they see is what they photography.
Exactly like 1st person games/visual novels show us the action from the point of view of the main character. He's a photographer who took all his life in photography, and now he is showing them to us, reenacting each scenes.
no that's the 3rd person view.

lets say you're taking a photo of a mother holding a baby. 1st person would be from either the baby's or mother's POV. the camera standing 5m from them is 3rd person.

unless the photographer does some deliberate trickery like leaving his fingers visible, his reflection or a shadow to make him part of the scene, he's always taking 3rd person POV pictures. he might not even be anywhere close to the camera.

• Angry
Reactions: riktor

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

lets say you're taking a photo of a mother holding a baby. 1st person would be from either the baby's or mother's POV. the camera standing 5m from them is 3rd person.

unless the photographer does some deliberate trickery like leaving his fingers visible, his reflection or a shadow to make him part of the scene, he's always taking 3rd person POV pictures. he might not even be anywhere close to the camera.
lets say you're taking a photo of a mother holding a baby. 1st person would be your POV. the camera is you

Reactions: woody554 and riktor

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
You understand that the term initially come from the grammar, right ? The 1st person being I, while the 3rd person is he/she.
Photography are took at the 1st person, the spectator will see exactly what the photographer saw ; this picture show you how beautiful was the view I had at this time.
At the opposite, almost all movies are at the 3rd person, they place the spectator as witness of the action ; as you can see, he (the hero) is now doing this.

And the same apply for games. A game at the 1st person put the player in the shoes of the MC. Therefore, the MC being me, what the MC see is what I see right now.
And at the opposite, if the game is at the 3rd person, then the player will witness what he (the MC) is doing right now.

If I (1st person) take a photo of a mother, how can this photo show me what she (3rd person) is seeing ?

Reactions: Niteowl

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
I think it depends.....
The terminology is technically more appropriate in writing, as originally it's a grammatical term, as the dev already mentioned; 1st person refers to novels/stories narrated in the first person (I woke up this morning etc), while the third person is "he woke up this morning etc).
In literature, btw, I generally prefer novels in the first person as you feel part of the action. I'm not a big fan of the third person, (which I also call "God-mode" because the writer knows everything there is to know about the story). In thrillers, I really hate it when the writer goes on to tell you everything the main character doesn't know...... it kinda kills the suspense. Obviously there are third person novels which are amazing so take all this with a grain of salt.

Regarding games, the first person would translate more as POV..... I think it probably works best, especially for H-games as we want to imagine interacting with those babes ourselves....but as others pointed out in many cases an exact POV approach doesn't work so well, and of course in some cases you just want to watch what's going on.
In reality, I"d say most games employ a bit of both (as I also do in my game).... I think Ideally you want to keep the illusion the player is in the action at times, without being too fussy about having a constantly realistic POV, but at times it's fine to just let him watch what other characters do.
Not a big fan of games in which, though, we arbitrarily jump to scenes unrelated to the mc.... it becomes more like watching a movie than playing a game.

Just a thought.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
If I (1st person) take a photo of a mother, how can this photo show me what she (3rd person) is seeing ?
doesn't your interpretation make any other kind of POV impossible, as they'd all be lumped into 1st person category whether the photographer is shown in the picture or not? what is a 3rd person POV picture if all camera's have an 'I' behind them making it 1st person POV?

it's not like in writing. it's the difference between an FPS game and a 3rd person shooter. in both game types it's you running around shooting things, allways you doing the shooting. but in 1st person POV it's visually shown in the image that the camera is between your eyes. looking down the barrel of a gun, or your arms visible on both sides when you run etc.

in 3rd person the camera floats somewhere else. whether there's an actual photographer standing behind it is irrelevant. it's called 3rd person POV because you can't see from the image whether there's an actual photographer or not.

(well unless someone makes a 3rd person shooter where you for example see the shadow of the guy holding the floating camera. maybe the story is you're followed around by a film crew while you shoot zombies. that would make it a 1st person POV. but not if there's no visual indication of the film crew guy.)

anyway, my point is that you can't make any composition you want with a 1st person POV. you're restricted to exactly those points where the eyes of your characters are. in my mom/baby example you either look from inside the baby's head or the mom's head. which reminds the way the auto headlamp on a camera shines always directly forward and makes everything look very boring.

in 3rd person you're free to move the camera anywhere until you find the beautiful composition you want.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
in both game types it's you running around shooting things, allways you doing the shooting.
Absolutely no. In 1st person you are running around and shooting. But in 3rs person, you are making someone run and shoot.

but in 1st person POV it's visually shown in the image that the camera is between your eyes.
How you can understand that, and still say that photography are at the 3rd person and from the point of view of the subject, is a question that should probably stay unsolved.