What do you think of Daz Genesis 8.1?

Feb 3, 2020
I am still trying to reconstruct my characters to compare them but just two observations so far:

1. None of the expression packs I have work on 8.1. I guess this means that expressions made for 8.1 will be better.
2. My purchased characters have their own brows and 8.1 won't recognize it.

What do you think of the changes in 8.1?

I am also curious to know how can I use my purchased 8.0 characters to take advantage of changes in 8.1.

Edit:
After playing with it a bit more and reading up on Daz forum, my conclusion is that without dedicated 8.1 materials, the only benefit is supposedly better expressions that will only work with 8.1. Applying 8.0 shape and materials the 8.1 character is basically 8.0. It bends the same and looks the same.

Last edited:

Feb 3, 2020
Why does 8.1 need new UV map if it has identical geometry as 8.0? I thought UV is just for where the texture/shader data goes on the surface and not what kind of data.

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020

Here is a product promotional shot for an 8.1 product, published just 11 hours ago.

variopiercingsforg81female000maindaz3d.jpg

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Why does 8.1 need new UV map if it has identical geometry as 8.0? I thought UV is just for where the texture/shader data goes on the surface and not what kind of data.
They obviously tried to fix some issues with the neck UV, but like usual they didn't really thought about the consequences and also like usual they didn't fix the actual the problem.

Here is a product promotional shot for an 8.1 product, published just 11 hours ago.

View attachment 994672
Nothing special here, just a few tweaks on the shader compaired to vick 8. There are far better models out there.

The only good thing 8.1 brings is the new possibilities and slider for expressions which look a lot more natural than before.

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
angry.png

Right. I cranked up my Daz and managed to get this done. (My Daz is acting up in between graphics cards). It's night and day. Just for the non-Daz users, the left 8.0, the right is 8.1.

I can see why some game makers have gravitated to office environments in their games.

Reactions: Toweke and 3gnude

Black Ram oss

Black Ram
Game Developer
May 10, 2018
does anyone know if currently there is a way, not very complete, to convert a skin from genesis 8 to 8.1?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Daz implemented faux2D Face Control for the new 8.1 facial morph :coffee:.

DAZStudio_g5N60v8ylE.png

I guess that's the idea behind 8.1, FACS based expression?
Not sure what prompted the change within the UV maps (head/eyes) tho :unsure:.

does anyone know if currently there is a way, not very complete, to convert a skin from genesis 8 to 8.1?
Not sure why you want to do that, it seems rather pointless (just use 8 skin material on 8.1), but I guess you will have to rebake all the maps except arms/legs.

ILI42

Mar 14, 2020
can you use Gen8 and Gen8.1 in the same DAZ installation without trouble?

do Gen8 body morphs still work?

and could someone post screenshots of old/new uv maps for face/torso/arms/legs? (haven't bothered to upgrade to 8.1 yet because i fear that all skin textures are borked then)

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Finally realistic expressions!

Now just waiting for daz store developers to make this expressions backward compatible with genesis 8 and 3 if possible.

I mean they are just morphs , why the hell they are not backward compatible
Good question! Why would they to do that? :unsure: :LUL:

Daz implemented faux2D Face Control for the new 8.1 facial morph :coffee:.

View attachment 997134

I guess that's the idea behind 8.1, FACS based expression?
Not sure what prompted the change within the UV maps (head/eyes) tho :unsure:.

Not sure why you want to do that, it seems rather pointless (just use 8 skin material on 8.1), but I guess you will have to rebake all the maps except arms/legs.
They could have introduced FACS without 8.1, I mean it still existed as an addon. I think it's 8.1 because of the UV maps.
I mean an update for the eyes was overdue, there is so much wrong with them in g3 and 8 and they finally fixed it yay!
The head thing is because some people (me included) complained about that especially the neck area looks awfull because of the different size of the torso and head that still use the same sized texture maps... :facepalm:
I wonder if they ever get something right...

Black Ram oss

Black Ram
Game Developer
May 10, 2018
some time ago i read and so i thought genesis 9 would be coming out at this time. (but i didn't inform myself anymore)

Is the 8.1 a way to postpone it (on some things it would make sense)? or do they release a g9 as well then

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
some time ago i read and so i thought genesis 9 would be coming out at this time. (but i didn't inform myself anymore)

Is the 8.1 a way to postpone it (on some things it would make sense)? or do they release a g9 as well then
G9 will come but I doubt it will be soon. 8.1 is probably just a "we haven't anything working yet, so here's something else instead."
The thread you linked is btw just a user proposing features he wants to see in the future, so nothing really to count on.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
can you use Gen8 and Gen8.1 in the same DAZ installation without trouble?

do Gen8 body morphs still work?

and could someone post screenshots of old/new uv maps for face/torso/arms/legs? (haven't bothered to upgrade to 8.1 yet because i fear that all skin textures are borked then)
Yes
Yes
All g8f skins will work on g8.1f (if anything you can swap uv map from base 8.1 female to base female like recreation said, it will do it automatically if you apply a g8 material skin)

Good question! Why would they to do that? :unsure: :LUL:

They could have introduced FACS without 8.1, I mean it still existed as an addon. I think it's 8.1 because of the UV maps.
I mean an update for the eyes was overdue, there is so much wrong with them in g3 and 8 and they finally fixed it yay!
The head thing is because some people (me included) complained about that especially the neck area looks awfull because of the different size of the torso and head that still use the same sized texture maps... :facepalm:
I wonder if they ever get something right...
It did but it kinda make sense to have native solution loaded directly within the figure, Face control being just a GUI/morphs now. UV maps were a long overdue I agree but pushing a new g8f iteration for this... I scratch my head a tad bit lol.

I saw also this :
  • Genesis 8.1 adds a new PBR (Physically Based Rendering) skin shader.
  • The Genesis 8.1 skin shader introduces improvements for Subsurface Scattering (less waxy skin), resulting in incredibly lifelike skin.
  • Added support to leverage MicroSkin tiling micro normal maps from our partners at
I can't really use Daz3D right now as I should work but shit got me curious :unsure:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Yes
Yes
All g8f skins will work on g8.1f (if anything you can swap uv map from base 8.1 female to base female like recreation said, it will do it automatically if you apply a g8 material skin)

It did but it kinda make sense to have native solution loaded directly within the figure, Face control being just a GUI/morphs now. UV maps were a long overdue I agree but pushing a new g8f iteration for this... I scratch my head a tad bit lol.

I saw also this :
  • Genesis 8.1 adds a new PBR (Physically Based Rendering) skin shader.
  • The Genesis 8.1 skin shader introduces improvements for Subsurface Scattering (less waxy skin), resulting in incredibly lifelike skin.
  • Added support to leverage MicroSkin tiling micro normal maps from our partners at
I can't really use Daz3D right now as I should work but shit got me curious :unsure:
The FACS is actually exactly the same it was before, it's not really any different other than being free and included now^^
I scratch my head a tad bit lol.
Exactly this^^
I bet they wanted to make this the new g9, but somebody got nervous about the most likely backlash xD
  • the "new" PBR skin shader is just an extension of the iray uber shader, nothing special here imo.
  • I think this might just be their fancy way to say "we changed some values to make it look better", It does look better tho.
  • native micro tiling is nice, but also nothing that wasn't possible before, this is one of the extensions I mentioned, basically a few more channels for tiling for distinctive channels
I think the head UV could easily just be an artifical incompability to sell new characters, but who knows.
All in all there are some good additions, but nothing really worth introducing a new character (version).

Reactions: ILI42