What do you think of Daz Genesis 8.1?

XenoFash

Sep 16, 2020
I’ve got no SkinBuilder and no mat copy anymore for the Meipe products. I realize they will get updated (GP already got update) but it’s a pain.

can I slap the “8.1 mouth no mats” on an 8 to use the new controls and manually add the new shader? Haven’t played around enough to find out.

XenoFash

Sep 16, 2020
Where? On renderotica it's still the old version, are there other places where you can buy meipe products?
I found it via googling forum posts (Meipe posted a direct link) but my iPhone doesn’t want to find the same page as my pc. I’ll post a link when I get home from work.

that said, I didn’t test it but I figure Meipe knows what he’s doing.

XenoFash

Sep 16, 2020
Where? On renderotica it's still the old version, are there other places where you can buy meipe products?
Here is the thread:

And another (that will probably have the other updates):

and the link:

Reactions: 31971207 and ILI42

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020
Jesus, adding in 8.1 before I even got to understand all my stuff on 8.0.

For now I'm just going to keep my head down and pretend it hasn't happened.

Feb 3, 2020
I am getting a ton of warning errors on startup AND when opening 8.1 character. It seems 8.1 is looking at the 8.0 morph folders and a lot of stuff are not compatible for some reason: "Could not find output property for formula". No wonder it takes so much longer to load a 8.1.

cwsmlk

Dec 20, 2017
I like the PBRSkin and the SSS changes, don't get that weird blue haze when and object passes through a skin layer, looks more realistic now imo. I feel like the skin looks much better in brighter HDRIs, but maybe it's a placebo effect since I haven't done a side by side. Haven't had any issues with loading in 8.1 so far. Loads in about the same as G8. As for G8.1 features, I don't think it's really cause for anyone to make a switch over from G8 unless you're striving for photorealism and really want the few extra perks 8.1 has. Though out the box support for both gens might be enough for some people.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I like the PBRSkin and the SSS changes, don't get that weird blue haze when and object passes through a skin layer, looks more realistic now imo. I feel like the skin looks much better in brighter HDRIs, but maybe it's a placebo effect since I haven't done a side by side. Haven't had any issues with loading in 8.1 so far. Loads in about the same as G8. As for G8.1 features, I don't think it's really cause for anyone to make a switch over from G8 unless you're striving for photorealism and really want the few extra perks 8.1 has. Though out the box support for both gens might be enough for some people.
Couldn't find time to really test that new shader :cry:. At first glance lot of new custom mdl bricks, I guess lot of them are the new conditional toggle, but they changed various bricks/layers (SSS, but also dual lobe layer a bit if I'm not mistaken, may be other things (like bump/normal?)). I wish someone with some depth write some kind of breaktrhough.

Specular occlusion layer may come handy to fake things a bit? Not sure about micro tilting as people already use huge 8k bump/roughness maps, but it may be exploitable later? Make up layer seems to be a nice addition (never been a fan of the old layered image system).

Ah and the bug with non-white transmitted color and spectral rendering seems still present (for me & the three people that use it), but I'm not sure it's on Daz end.

Visual between Uber shader/ PBRSkin shader (won't say much but hey) :

DAZStudio_AF1SMLlHtk.png

Last edited:

palumbra

Nov 20, 2019
genesis 8.1 my character textures victoria 8.1 with custom facemap.
filament render 1280x720 generate midmap textures = a lot of white lines

mouth closed dont work, freezed to%

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Finally tried PBRSkin shader.

Top Coat layer is missing Layering mode and Bump (they're not in the hidden parameter, nor you can slot a bump map in TC Bump Weight).

2nd pic whole TC bump is missing.

Also no more reflectance tint, thin flim and cutout opacity. No more gloss layer but I'm okay with that one :LOL:. Not sure it's gonna do well for a lot of skins, depends how they are made I guess. And other hand new fonctions looks neat and SSS looks better. Micro details use weightmap + small tiles, AO and make up are nice addon.

Just very sad for my TC bump :HideThePain:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Reactions: 31971207

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
From what I have seen I like the new expressions.

But I'm happy that I got Daz .14 running stable (and faster than .12) and the posts at the daz forum about speed and various problems doesn't make me want to update.

Anyone working with .15 having problems?
(Might install the beta, as it's the same as the official atm).

TIA

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
Done some tests with the new PBR skins.
All models are G8.1 but the process works on G8 too.
Followed this process for conversion: .
Also used the
Original skins on the left, new on the right:
AAA_Gemma_PBR_Test_1.png
AAA_Gemma_PBR_Test_2.png
AAA_Gemma_PBR_Test_3.png
AAA_Lara_Tes_PBR_1.png
AAA_Lara_Tes_PBR_2.png
AAA_COO_Test_PBR_1.png

I had a few problems at 4.15.0.0 and .1 however .2 seems stable and not had a single crash yet since release.

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
I had a few problems at 4.15.0.0 and .1 however .2 seems stable and not had a single crash yet since release.
Thanks for the feedback.

I was more worried about longer render times and problems with animations, which where mentioned in the daz forum.
I'll give the beta a try :)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
(Might install the beta, as it's the same as the official atm).
Far I know there is an with .15, there was an Iray section plane problem with .14 (don't remember which version exactly).

Reactions: tk99

cbsx

May 4, 2020
That comparison above just looks like it's easier to blow out (overexpose) the characters... I dunno...

There are a lot of games here where the renders are already too hot.

also... none of us are running on monitors calibrated with the same tools, if at all... so that doesn't help either.

cbsx

May 4, 2020
Far I know there is an with .15, there was an Iray section plane problem with .14 (don't remember which version exactly).
And the link for sending and report bugs does not work.
Wow... imma go out on a limb and say there is a reason why there is no longer any real documentation for this product... no docs from no specs with no repeatable regression testing procedures...

And no publicly available downgrade procedure… oof

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
Thanks, I only read the threads regarding the official version, not the beta.

For production I will stay with .14

FilthySloth

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2020
For me the biggest and best change is what they have done with the eyes, these now move so much more realistically and is a massive improvement.

Even though my project has a NPR shading approach it was well worth the effort switching my characters over to an 8.1 base for this alone. It has thrown my gens for a loop within Daz itself and the scripts on those wouldn't work anymore, so they needed manual fixing, but that was easy.

Don't fully know why they changed some of the surface names and separated out the neck/back of head as being separate from the rest of the body (or torso under 8), I assume this is laying the groundwork for separate more detailed neck textures, but it doesn't effect using 8 textures at all.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Don't fully know why they changed some of the surface names and separated out the neck/back of head as being separate from the rest of the body (or torso under 8), I assume this is laying the groundwork for separate more detailed neck textures, but it doesn't effect using 8 textures at all.
As recreation said, I think it was mostly to adress torso pixel density. It was overdue but not something really critical imo (you could still use higher torso maps).

For me the best thing of this update is the new PBRSkin shader, seems promising. But the loss of Fresnel/Top Coat Bump is huge. Tried to overcome but so far it's subpar :cautious:. Tried also to add it by kinda copy/pasting Uber shader top coat bricks in the PBRSkin one, but I just broke everything I guess :cool:.

On other things, if you have to rebake maps from g3/8 to g8.1 UV for whatever reasons, there is a . At first look it seems way less tedious than do it in Blender (wish I read that sooner :cry:). Not sure it will work on geograft too, but I don't see why it woulnd't. DonRP

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Ram oss