What Engine Should I be using for what I'm trying to do?

VanDerBeek21

Jun 21, 2021
So, I have a game I've been created assets for for awhile now. I have character modes (I'm ripping ones from koikatsu). I was originally planning on using Ren Py, however I want to use 3d backgrounds (right now made in Unreal using models from Maya and Blender, though I can use Unreal just as well). The posing of models has become the issue. I can rip the models to put them into Blender (and thus Unity/Unreal), but wouldn't that I mean I would have to make the poses in Unity and export each one individually with a separate model for each separate expression the characters can have on their face? Is there a better way to go about how I'm doing this? Any advice?

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
If you're ripping them from koikatsu why not just handle the background and everything in that engine and then export the images for use in renpy?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I was originally planning on using Ren Py, however I want to use 3d backgrounds [...]
I don't get what you mean by the use of "3D backgrounds".
You present it like something that could be done with Ren'py, what let think that they are realtime 3D backgrounds. But it would make no sense to have pre-rendered 3D sprites in top a realtime 3D backgrounds. But, yet you implied that what you want can't be done with Ren'Py...

VanDerBeek21

Jun 21, 2021
I don't get what you mean by the use of "3D backgrounds".
You present it like something that could be done with Ren'py, what let think that they are realtime 3D backgrounds. But it would make no sense to have pre-rendered 3D sprites in top a realtime 3D backgrounds. But, yet you implied that what you want can't be done with Ren'Py...
I mean to use Ren'Py for this I'd have to export every model I wish to use to Unity, create the scene screenshot it and transfer all of that to Ren'Py wouldn't I? the main issue is having to have a separate model for every expression I would need.

VanDerBeek21

Jun 21, 2021
If you're ripping them from koikatsu why not just handle the background and everything in that engine and then export the images for use in renpy?
This is currently What I'm doing, but I ran into the issue of having to rip every model seperately for each expression. Maybe I'm incorrect about something, but how exactly would you go about posing that in Unity?

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
This is currently What I'm doing, but I ran into the issue of having to rip every model seperately for each expression. Maybe I'm incorrect about something, but how exactly would you go about posing that in Unity?
What you're describing is exactly what people do in Daz, Koikatsu, Honey Select, etc. I think you got your terminology wrong or I'm just not with the program but I can't wrap my head around what you mean by "rip every model separately". You also don't have to do the entire image. If it's the same image with just a different facial expression, you can mask that in a photo editor and apply the expressions real time.

In unity you will have to rig the model you exported from koikatsu with bones and meshes to replicate human skeleton. Then you can use something like inverse kinematics or other unity tools to animate or pose them. You can't simply pose a model since the process of "posing" is transforming the models mesh through the constraints of a skeleton mesh.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I mean to use Ren'Py for this I'd have to export every model I wish to use to Unity, create the scene screenshot it and transfer all of that to Ren'Py wouldn't I?
Or you discover that Koikatsu have a studio mode that let you pose the scene and generate an image accordingly to the said scene and the camera values.
Then you'll discover that there's no need to "rip" anything, not to use Unity to generate the images. All you've to do is place the background, place the models and move a slider here, a slider there. You can have ten variation of the same image, one by expression you want, in less than 5 minutes.

Aug 11, 2020

This is for Honey select 2, but since Illusion makes the same game every year it'll probably also apply to koikatsu.

What you want to do is the following
1. Create your map in Blender
2. Import to the Unity version mentioned in the tutorial
3. Export the map into the koikatsu format
4. Import the map in koikatsu studio. You can pose your character here.

You can also look on the repack server for maps that are already done for you: