What happens to these writers?

VMiller

Mar 7, 2023
The lack of creativity of visual novel writers is noticeable, they all seem more of the same, it even seems that the same writers wrote all the stories.
It's true. All these games were made by the same average person. Because we can't consider the personality of the author anywhere.

SpoiledPrince

Apr 23, 2019
The lack of creativity of visual novel writers is noticeable, they all seem more of the same, it even seems that the same writers wrote all the stories.
Cliché scripts, effeminate or oversexualized characters, the lack of narrative construction of the characters is noticeable in 90% of the characters, female or male. The achievement factor present in the old visual novels has been totally lost and it's getting boring.
I didn't come here to attack the creators, but to bring a reflection, so that they invest more in the stories, so that they become more interesting again and that people read again.
Have you considered the idea that some people write effeminate males because they identify more with those than with the ultramacho folk?

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I bet most of the most successful VNs fit your complaint, which completely kills your popularity argument.

usually when I see people complain about genre issues it seems to be out of complete lack of understanding the genre. westerns look like westerns and retell the same exact stories with same exact characters, BECAUSE western fans like those things in a western. where as a dumbass non-western fan will complain "why do people still make these stupid westerns,they should do original modern stories instead."

or more close to us here: mom/son incest stories have a thicc mom, dead dad, horny dumbass son, a hostile big sister to blackmail for sex and a retarded little sister requiring instruction on how pussy works. these are not accidental choices, these are the genre building blocks the genre fans want to see. ignore them at your peril, the fans are unlikely to care for your different take on their favourite thing.

Reactions: CaptainBipto

Wankyudo

Jul 26, 2017
It's me. I'm the corporate overlord. I've been funding all of the "smaller," games to copy the bigger games and drown the market by smut-peddling. Then I will release a masterpiece of smut (that will be universally shitted on because either there is NTR or there isn't NTR) and My evil reign over the adult game market will come to fruition. I will make millions of pennies over the course of sixteen years and just barely be able to afford a used honda civic(which I will default on and then it'll get repo'd) through my evil corporate ways.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
usually when I see people complain about genre issues it seems to be out of complete lack of understanding the genre.
I wouldn't be as affirmative as you.
Whatever if it's adult content or not, there way more space for changes than you make it look. It's clear that all genre have their codes, and that breaking out of them isn't something easy to do, but it also doesn't mean that you have to include everything wrote in the said code.

There's incest stories where the mother, or the sister it depend, is present, but not among the characters you can pursue. There's incest stories where the relation started before the story, and therefore everyone is cool with it. There's even many, mostly on the shota side, where the MC is forced into incest by the girls in the family.
The cliché you named don't exist because it's parts of the code, but because it's what Sisterly Lust used as setting. It's the game that defined the trend, with a MC coming back home, the prudish sister, the bitchy one with her broken heart due to MC disappearance, and the madly in love one. But its not a trend because incest games need to be like this. No, it's a trend because the game was a success and you'll always find people to copy what is successful in hope to drown in money. Then with the time going, there were enough games following those steps for some new creators to believe that an incest game must be following this setting.
But in the same time you can also found many other incest games that don't looks at all like this. My New Memories and Bad Memories are part of them and not less successful.

The issue isn't that a genre need to follow a code, but that too many creator don't have enough imagination to starts a new interpretation of the codes. Or perhaps it's not even a question of imagination, and just that being amateurs they feel more at ease by following a signposted path. This way they can compare themselves to something and know if they are doing bad, average or good enough.

Reactions: LS47

Obiyo

Aug 5, 2016
In the indie game development scene, it is quite uncommon to find developers who possess both strong coding and writing skills. As most games available here are often created by a single person who handles multiple roles, investing in professional writers can be challenging from a financial standpoint. This limitation can sometimes lead to indie developers drawing inspiration from successful games and incorporating similar ideas into their own projects.

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Finding developers of these games with working knowledge in programming and art and and competence in writing is exceedingly more rare.
This. Normally, you would be competent on one (two at most) , but not the 3 fields. I like to program, and I have experience. But for writing? never (and it shows. And my english is horrible, to top it off), and for art, I can't draw shit, and my PC would explode the moment I try to install Daz3D.

I'm sure there are games that excels at writing, but maybe fail at the other aspects. Normally, well rounded games are made by a team (that add another complexity level, because managing a team is also a skill) not a solo dev.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
This. Normally, you would be competent on one (two at most) , but not the 3 fields. I like to program, and I have experience. But for writing? never (and it shows. And my english is horrible, to top it off), and for art, I can't draw shit, and my PC would explode the moment I try to install Daz3D.

I'm sure there are games that excels at writing, but maybe fail at the other aspects. Normally, well rounded games are made by a team (that add another complexity level, because managing a team is also a skill) not a solo dev.
I think i am ok with that.
Most have to high of an expectation of how a game should be.
There are games (on Steam)that were made by one dev. Alone. And they are actually successful. Like Vvvvvvvv. or whatever the titles was.
This is indeed a niche of sorts. So most feel compelled to give it a shot and i think that is ok. If the sucks in some respect, so be it. You still can enjoy it for what it is.

Reactions: Rafster

Fake Smile

Aug 3, 2021
I think i am ok with that.
Most have to high of an expectation of how a game should be.
There are games (on Steam)that were made by one dev. Alone. And they are actually successful. Like Vvvvvvvv. or whatever the titles was.
This is indeed a niche of sorts. So most feel compelled to give it a shot and i think that is ok. If the sucks in some respect, so be it. You still can enjoy it for what it is.
I do believe that many of the best productions are solo.

At the moment I'm playing little Regina, it was a pleasant surprise for me, there are some stories like that, but many stories even start well but then become generic, like a trap to catch you and then in the middle of the story they take a turn, like a twisting double pike and change everything, and always for the worse.