Ren'Py what honey select?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
My first instinct says they put a filter over the renders from honeyselect in photoshop. Something like a paint effect or something.

Reactions: penguin861

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
[...] there are so many versions of it cant tell which one to get.
There is apparently a fan bundle of Honey Select and a whole bunch of DLC available here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/honey-select-v1-2-1-0-2-illusion.1317/

Comments say it's a bit of a mix of good/bad/working/borked - but free is free and therefore maybe a good place to start, until you figure out the sorts of DLC that are useful to you and the ones that aren't.

The two best rendered HoneySelect games in my mind right now are:
It's impressive the difference in quality you see when someone clearly knows what they are doing. (True of Daz too obviously).

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
There is apparently a fan bundle of Honey Select and a whole bunch of DLC available here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/honey-select-v1-2-1-0-2-illusion.1317/

Comments say it's a bit of a mix of good/bad/working/borked - but free is free and therefore maybe a good place to start, until you figure out the sorts of DLC that are useful to you and the ones that aren't.

It's impressive the difference in quality you see when someone clearly knows what they are doing. (True of Daz too obviously).
ill have a look cause free is free.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
The Headmaster is Play Home not Honey Select; it's still Illusion but the models have different skins that's why it looks slightly different.

A lot of it also depends on the mods installed. :)

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
If you're willing to be an early adopter, you could try using Honey Select 2, which is the most recent release. Mostly improved visual assets, not many other differences.

Most of the specific improvements to the original game came through mods, so you'll have to search for some that suit your requirements, and then experiment a bit. HS2 might not have as many resources as HS1 right now, but that should improve over time, and if you're investing in a long-term dev project, using better-looking assets as a baseline will probably pay off down the line.

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
The Headmaster is Play Home not Honey Select; it's still Illusion but the models have different skins that's why it looks slightly different.

A lot of it also depends on the mods installed. :)
i see i actually thought it was honey select lol well it's good to know that it's not it pretty cool how things can look similar when made really well.
thanks for your help

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
If you're willing to be an early adopter, you could try using Honey Select 2, which is the most recent release. Mostly improved visual assets, not many other differences.

Most of the specific improvements to the original game came through mods, so you'll have to search for some that suit your requirements, and then experiment a bit. HS2 might not have as many resources as HS1 right now, but that should improve over time, and if you're investing in a long-term dev project, using better-looking assets as a baseline will probably pay off down the line.
i recently downloaded from the link above of honey select 1 but you might be right it could be better to get honey select 2 right now. i might go check what mods they have for it to decide.
thanks for your help

Reactions: SecretSal

Vanadis.Ent

Apr 29, 2020
Ive been working on a game using HS for rendering, HS2 just released so ive started over and been using that , the resources are lacking as has been mentioned in comprison to HS1 but there are a lot of lighting / texture and skin mods available and a lot of control over how it looks is possible. It does require some research

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
Yeah, HS2 does have better baseline looks with better lighting, textures, and character customization. It's possible to create non-Asian looking faces and you can do a bit more with the males than have the stereotypical HS male that most games have. However, the amount of mods and modding support for HS1 is unparalleled and the flexibility they give you means you're not limited by the resources you have available. For example, I was working with AIS2 (basically HS2) and because the mods were so limited, I either had to create what I needed from scratch on my own or, what ended up happening, rewrite my story to better the resources I have at my disposal. I'm on the Illusionworks Discord server and currently there are only about 3-4 part time modders bringing in new assets like hairstyles, clothing, objects, and maps for HS2. So you see around 1-2 new mods a week. Whereas HS1 has so many modders, you might see a couple of new mods a day. I don't know if HS2 will ever reach the level of mod support that HS1 has.

I'd say, if you have an ambitious project with a lot of asset needs, go for HS1, but if you can skirt by with the minimum and want the better character models, go with HS2.

J..D

Naughty Attic Gaming
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
By the way, you know that your link in the OP sends to the wrong title, right?
Research Into Affection

This is our game, not Waifu Academy :p

But your question was answered on our discord server where you asked it ;)

Boom's Attic Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
ill have a look cause free is free.
Hi Penguin861,

I wish you all the luck and hope to see what you can create!

The one tip I'll give you if you do use this bundle.
"Which I would recomend, to anyone creating a game using Honey Select Studio images"

Is that when you do create your game " and/if you start earning money from it" is to purchaues a legit copy of the game.
You can find it as well as other places online.

Patreon have been somewhat quite about the subject recently but they did/have sent out a few DMCA notices in the past on behalf of the company "fakku" for thier (Honey Select Unlimited) version.

These notices were easlily disputed and shot down once "said developers" showed their legit licence code "purchace ID"
to prove the game/software they were using was Illlusions copy of the game which fell under Illusions TOS at the time.

Illusions TOS does state that the images can't be used without the watermark that is applied to each image by the program but when they released the "Neo" expansion this removed the watermark from said images created by the program.

Hence why certain developers resorted to displaying a link to Illusions website from either their website, patreon page, or the game itself.
Just to stay as close to their TOS as possible as a kind gesture towards the company.

Do not use Fakku's (Honey Select Unlimited) version as this falls under Fakku's TOS which prohibits using the images.

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
Hi Penguin861,

I wish you all the luck and hope to see what you can create!

The one tip I'll give you if you do use this bundle.
"Which I would recomend, to anyone creating a game using Honey Select Studio images"

Is that when you do create your game " and/if you start earning money from it" is to purchaues a legit copy of the game.
You can find it as well as other places online.

Patreon have been somewhat quite about the subject recently but they did/have sent out a few DMCA notices in the past on behalf of the company "fakku" for thier (Honey Select Unlimited) version.

These notices were easlily disputed and shot down once "said developers" showed their legit licence code "purchace ID"
to prove the game/software they were using was Illlusions copy of the game which fell under Illusions TOS at the time.

Illusions TOS does state that the images can't be used without the watermark that is applied to each image by the program but when they released the "Neo" expansion this removed the watermark from said images created by the program.

Hence why certain developers resorted to displaying a link to Illusions website from either their website, patreon page, or the game itself.
Just to stay as close to their TOS as possible as a kind gesture towards the company.

Do not use Fakku's (Honey Select Unlimited) version as this falls under Fakku's TOS which prohibits using the images.
so if i use the free version to try it out and if i think it is good for me and i want to keep doing it.
what if i buy the game after i made it could i still count that or would they take it down cause i didn't use it to start it of with.