What is a game that you love and highly rated, but when you went to check its rating you were suprised it was rated low?

borramejm

Jan 2, 2023
I'm naturally sceptical of any system that puts all the power into the hands of a small group of people. Trusted reviewers sounds like a good way to get a clique of select forum users who decide which games succeed and which ones don't, at least to the extent that reviews impact success.

Furthermore, over the years I've observed a pattern among people who make reviewing entertainment media a part of their identity: they're invariably up themselves. After a while they seem to forget the core purpose of the things they're reviewing, and instead pursue ever more esoteric ways of being snobbish.
I agree with you on that. On the other side trying to cater to the taste of too many people tend to create games (or music, movies, whatever) that is too safe and typical even if the average reviews are good

Dr.Dro

Nov 8, 2018
For me its the other way around. I often try Games because of good ratings and can't fucking understand how these Games got these good reviews.
Facts.

I'd say the reverse is true: a lot of bad games are rated too high.

I can see games falling in two broad categories: blatant trash VNs that idiots rate as 5 purely because of CGs, and games that actually try to be better games, or heck, to be games at all. Games from the second group attract a more discerning audience and as a result are rated a bit lower.

There is no way in hell actual games like, say, Karryn's Prison, Future Fragments, Last Sovereign, or SK Aura are on the same level as a DAZ linear clichéd incest VN. Not even fucking close.

So my impression is that complex games are rated more or less fairly (all the games I gave as examples are good, but not without flaws, so around 4.5 is a fair score), but there's a flood of grossly overrated VNs that makes 4.5 look poor by comparison.
I think it's also people rating high just because it caters to one kink alone and gameplay or whatever be damned that shit is gonna be a 5 to them lol. you are 100% correct the more complex though the more scrutiny will be placed. Which I think is why a lot make a difficulty that basically you cant loose, imo. Karryn's Prison is amazing tho. Have you tried "Melty's Quest"? Same people, Remintary or whatever. Also check out "Saria's Reclaimed" if you haven't already. Sort of same battle system etc, needs a lot more work but if kept up with could be on par with KP. I'll have to check you games mentioned tho.

Now, back to topics question, I think I'd have to give my guilty mid score game to lab rats 2, with a 3.5 which I think is kinda fair honestly after it got abandoned and modders did more work near end. I like all the management details, broad range of "serum traits and transformations". Where it fell flat were it was only poses basically in sex scenes and alot of the models just didnt look good, imo and from what seemed a lot of others. At one point it was suppose to be animated scenes. I think if remade with same gameplay but with actual sex scenes instead of girl just posing, it could be a good one tho.

nulnil

May 18, 2021
But why though? Even though the current system is poorly used doesn't mean we should remove it. At least it helps some people I guess.

But if you really want you can always add the following filters to your adblock and not even stumble upon reviews accidentally:
f95zone.to##.bratr-rating.br-widget
f95zone.to##.resource-tile_info-meta_rating
f95zone.to###btn-sort_rating.filter-block_button-wrap

I like browsing like this because I don't get distracted by nonsense and when I'm looking for actual reviews I just open the reviews tab.
Personally, I've just never found the average rating to really be indicative of a game's quality. I've seen reviews that judge based off of whatever kinks the reviewer likes, or ones that fundamentally misunderstand the game.

As for individual ratings, I think you need something more precise than just x/5. Hell, even x/10 would be better.

Donjoe81

Dec 30, 2022
From my personal experience, I found you can really trust the opinions of people on this site (when they're not shit posting or trolling of course, :KEK:). When I go and play a game with 2-3 stars, it usually matches the low effort quality of the game.
Yep, I agree with that. I think the issue is more that many games are overrated and get 5* just because the renders look good while the rest of it is trash.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023
You know what actually? I think it would be even better if the whole "star" system was removed altogether.
This.

I don't care about how many stars a game has. Everyone have their own taste, and when it comes to rating a game most ppl act emotionally. So it is super subjective y'know. Play the game, and decide yourself whether it is good or bad. :WeSmart: