Others What is the best engine for my game?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks, My only experience in coding is my html games and editing some python scripts that already existed. Is there any use to learning python before i dive into renpy?
Technically you don't *need* to write any python and you could still make a simple Renpy game. That's literally what Pytom has created Renpy for!
However, once you try and get fancy (like a daily/weekly event loop, a in game store, anything beyond a simple on/off inventory), you'll absolutely need to at least write (or copy in and understand and adapt a script from a random forum post lol ) some python in your scripts.

But then again, you can just wing it. This is one of the reasons the same advice to new game authors is given again and again: KEEP YOUR FIRST GAME VERY SIMPLE. if you get even a little bit ambitious, you can get stuck and then we are left with yet another v0.1 that never gets updated again. Save your awesome idea for your 3rd game.

Reactions: Droid Productions

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Just adding my two cents here:

In my experience, Unity is much harder to work with than Renpy for a relatively simple VN game. Sure, there are various "assets" on the store you can buy (basically plugins to add prebuilt functionality to the game) but you still need to understand enough to plug them together.

RenPy's documentation is not super helpful, but there's plenty of examples and plenty of help available on boards like this.
Unity has extensive documentation but again it's not helpful if you don't know the basics. Beware the unity forums as they are a horrible wasteland of terrible advice with only an occasional helpful gem.

Also, unless you are already a reasonably good programmer (in C#) Unity will be a challenge.

In summary: Unity is great if you are on your way to becoming a professional game developer. Renpy is for semi-amateurs to bang out visual novels.
Renpy is a Visual Novel engine
Unity is a Game engine

KlonHad

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2019
Technically you don't *need* to write any python and you could still make a simple Renpy game. That's literally what Pytom has created Renpy for!
However, once you try and get fancy (like a daily/weekly event loop, a in game store, anything beyond a simple on/off inventory), you'll absolutely need to at least write (or copy in and understand and adapt a script from a random forum post lol ) some python in your scripts.

But then again, you can just wing it. This is one of the reasons the same advice to new game authors is given again and again: KEEP YOUR FIRST GAME VERY SIMPLE. if you get even a little bit ambitious, you can get stuck and then we are left with yet another v0.1 that never gets updated again. Save your awesome idea for your 3rd game.
Yea thats why i made this game in html and try to reboot it in renpy with some added features, Honestly its a simple ui based point and click game leading to a scene but i can't get the 1st scene to show even when i copy the code word for word

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Yea thats why i made this game in html and try to reboot it in renpy with some added features, Honestly its a simple ui based point and click game leading to a scene but i can't get the 1st scene to show even when i copy the code word for word
Well, post some code and let us take a look. Or archive the whole renpy thing and share it with us so we can help.

Last edited:

KlonHad

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2019
Well, post some code and let us take a look. Or archive the whole renpy thing and share it with us so we can help.
Thanks for the help, I will do that once i cant do anything to solve it, Dont wanna spam you

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
OK, up to you. Are you getting error messages? (like the renpy "exception" error screen) or just nothing ?