What is the best graphics card for renders?

bcsjkdfjksh

Mar 22, 2019
I'm still kind of leaning towards waiting til Big Navi comes out. According to the rumor mills I've been listening to, the Navi equivalent to the 3080 is supposed to have 16GB of VRAM. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see a 20GB 3080Ti come out around that time to rain on AMD's parade. Obviously they'll charge extra for double the ram but I have to imagine it'll be significantly less than $1500.

The 3080 already looks like a great card for gaming. But for rendering it really needs more ram IMO. 20GB is probably more than I need but 10GB is definitely less than what some of my unoptimized renders require. Time spent optimizing is time wasted IMO. I may still just wind up going with the 3090 since that's a sure thing. It's overkill for gaming IMO but for rendering $1500 actually seems pretty reasonable for what you're getting.
I'm still kind of leaning towards waiting til Big Navi comes out. According to the rumor mills I've been listening to, the Navi equivalent to the 3080 is supposed to have 16GB of VRAM. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see a 20GB 3080Ti come out around that time to rain on AMD's parade. Obviously they'll charge extra for double the ram but I have to imagine it'll be significantly less than $1500.

The 3080 already looks like a great card for gaming. But for rendering it really needs more ram IMO. 20GB is probably more than I need but 10GB is definitely less than what some of my unoptimized renders require. Time spent optimizing is time wasted IMO. I may still just wind up going with the 3090 since that's a sure thing. It's overkill for gaming IMO but for rendering $1500 actually seems pretty reasonable for what you're getting.

After reading and listening this is the conclusion i've come to, I'm most likely gonna wait for the 3080TI which may fall between 16-20gb. Although the 3090 is good its HUGE in size, so i'm unsure.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
After reading and listening this is the conclusion i've come to, I'm most likely gonna wait for the 3080TI which may fall between 16-20gb. Although the 3090 is good its HUGE in size, so i'm unsure.
For me it will depend on both the memory in the Ti (if we get one), and on how long we have to wait for it. The only things I know for sure are that I'm definitely getting a 30 series card, it will definitely have at least 16GB of vram, and it will definitely be before the end of this year. So unless we get Ti releases before the end of the year that means a 3090.

Reactions: bcsjkdfjksh

bcsjkdfjksh

Mar 22, 2019

Just wanted to put this in here. This is a 3090 RTX displaying blender animations in real time.

Seeing this has persuaded me to either get the 3090 or wait for a TI

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018

Just wanted to put this in here. This is a 3090 RTX displaying blender animations in real time.

Seeing this has persuaded me to either get the 3090 or wait for a TI
don't get your hopes up too high, this was neither a blender animation, nor was it a 3090.
They used Omniverse which is a NVIDIA developed ray-tracing simulation engine/kit and a Quadro RTX 8000, DLSS enabled + all the movements are very slow. Honestly, the Unreal 5 demo looks more impressive and that ran on a ps5.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
If the GPU = 25% of the total price of your PC, then the 3090 is for a 5k PC, the 3080 for a 2.5 to3k PC and the 3070 for a 2K PC.
Let me look at my parts list for my PC: CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU, Power Supply, SSD, Case, wifi card(mobo didn't have it!), OS, keyboard/mouse, monitor, speakers, external backup drive, external optical drive. If you're planning to overclock, then you need thermal paste and custom cooling for the whole thing, which adds cost. But yeah, 20-30% of the budget going for the GPU sounds about right to me.

Last edited:

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
So, leaked performance details on the AMD RX 6000 series indicate that the higher end card, on a lower wattage consumption, has performance between a 3070 and 3080. With higher wattage(300), it's competitive with the 3080. At its price point, a dual GPU setup might get it close to 3090 levels.

Jul 1, 2018
So, leaked performance details on the AMD RX 6000 series indicate that the higher end card, on a lower wattage consumption, has performance between a 3070 and 3080. With higher wattage(300), it's competitive with the 3080. At its price point, a dual GPU setup might get it close to 3090 levels.
Keep in mind the OP wants the card for Daz renders and iray in Daz won't render using an AMD GPU, iray in Daz only uses Nvidia GPU, he needs Nvidia or he's throwing money away.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
Keep in mind the OP wants the card for Daz renders and iray in Daz won't render using an AMD GPU, iray in Daz only uses Nvidia GPU, he needs Nvidia or he's throwing money away.
My understanding is that the 6000 series will have onboard dedicated raytracing hardware, so I'd expect (eventually) rendering software that works with that hardware.

mars9

Aug 15, 2019
I will say wait for RTX 3070 (TI/SUPER) 16 GB VRAM or RTX 3080 (TI/SUPER) 20 GB VRAM

Jul 1, 2018
My understanding is that the 6000 series will have onboard dedicated ray tracing hardware, so I'd expect (eventually) rendering software that works with that hardware.
The thing is iray in Daz is made by Nvidia and only works (the way we want it to work, as fast as possible) on their cards, specifically the CUDA cores (or any CPU of course but anyone would be mental to buy a CPU to render Daz scenes lol). AMD could release the best "ray tracing" card in the world according to their internal tests, the fact is it won't mean anything when trying to use it in iray in Daz, rendering will just be booted back to the CPU. With Nvidia and Daz so tight in bed together I wouldn't hold any hopes for AMD support to be introduced that would make an AMD card purchase worthwhile, but who knows, pigs may fly one day lol.

This is why I say go straight to the Daz forums to find this kind of information, even on respected computer sites too many incorrect assumptions are made by just looking at the headlines or the information on the surface and when you're spending thousands of dollars its a very costly mistake to buy the wrong component, let alone build an entire PC full of mismatched components. Even with CPU's you have to look at more than just clock speed and core/thread count as different software will work differently depending if they're built to make the best use of multiple threads or only single thread.

If you want to know what will be the best hardware for Blender, Maya, Houdini, Nuke, etc, go to their forums or the equivalent specialized forum for that software and get the info from people in the know that have been using it for years. Coming to generalized forums like f95, reddit or similar will usually end up accidentally giving you misinformation.

bcsjkdfjksh

Mar 22, 2019
Yeah don't worry aha, I'm definitely getting an NVIDIA card. It's just finding out which one would be the best in the long run. Right now I'm on a gtx 970 that is good

Reactions: DerangedAristocrat
Dec 15, 2017
The best card is multiple cards. Just get the best card you can afford with emphasis on GPU memory, I would go for a minimum of 11GB. Over the years you can add more cards to your PC.

I started with the original Maxwell Titan X, it is still a good option especially now that they go for $400 on ebay. Over the years I got more GPUs since they dropped in price and now I have 3 Titan X and 1 1080 Ti. Although you have to make sure your motherboard and Power supply can support it once you are at 4 cards. If I decide to get another GPU I'll probably replace one of the Titans but I'd only do so if I need to for games, I'm pretty satisfied with it for rendering.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
If the GPU = 25% of the total price of your PC, then the 3090 is for a 5k PC, the 3080 for a 2.5 to3k PC and the 3070 for a 2K PC.
Let me look at my parts list for my PC: CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU, Power Supply, SSD, Case, wifi card(mobo didn't have it!), OS, keyboard/mouse, monitor, speakers, external backup drive, external optical drive. If you're planning to overclock, then you need thermal paste and custom cooling for the whole thing, which adds cost. But yeah, 20-30% of the budget going for the GPU sounds about right to me.
That's changed with recent generations IMO. A lot of systems are spec'd out with a GPU that's more like 50% of the total price. That's about where mine would fall if I got the 3090. $1500 for the GPU, and another $1000-1500 or so for everything else.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Man I can't wait. Watching this guy showing off the 3090 rendering in Blender and Maya getting basically a finished high quality render in a matter of a few seconds that would take me hours currently on my 1050Ti. He doesn't do anything in Daz but hopefully Iray sees similar performance. I think I would probably be just as happy with a 20 GB version of the 3080 if there is one.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I don't see any point in going under 20GB vram anymore. I render 13-14GB scenes all the time on 8GB vram, and while the actual render times are manageable it's the overhead setting up and tweaking the scenes for that actual render that ruins your day when you go over your vram. what takes me 15 minutes in a smaller scene can easily take 5 hours in a too large scene.

and as everything else with 20GB+ vram costs way way more (with inferior render speed), I don't see any other choice than rtx 3090. I don't even care how fast it is, I'd far rather take a rtx 3070 with 24GB if it existed. also the overclocking of ti-versions are of no use to me unless they get the same or more vram. which they won't, because that would ruin the pricing of rtx 3090 and leave them on shelves.

also hoping for a 100% vram increase for 3070/80 seems highly unlikely when ti-versions have never had more than 30%ish more vram.

Reactions: Domiek and khumak

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I don't see any point in going under 20GB vram anymore. I render 13-14GB scenes all the time on 8GB vram, and while the actual render times are manageable it's the overhead setting up and tweaking the scenes for that actual render that ruins your day when you go over your vram. what takes me 15 minutes in a smaller scene can easily take 5 hours in a too large scene.

and as everything else with 20GB+ vram costs way way more (with inferior render speed), I don't see any other choice than rtx 3090. I don't even care how fast it is, I'd far rather take a rtx 3070 with 24GB if it existed. also the overclocking of ti-versions are of no use to me unless they get the same or more vram. which they won't, because that would ruin the pricing of rtx 3090 and leave them on shelves.

also hoping for a 100% vram increase for 3070/80 seems highly unlikely when ti-versions have never had more than 30%ish more vram.
That's pretty much my take on it as well. It's definitely possible to optimize most scenes to fit into 8-10GB but if I have to spend ANY time on optimization that's time wasted and if I have to do it with every scene that's a LOT of time wasted. I think 20GB is probably enough that I would never have to optimize anything unless I really got crazy and wanted to do something like a high rez scene in a crowded dance club or something, reflections, lots of lights, 20+ people, something like that. That's probably going to exceed that 20GB buffer unless you tweak stuff. Most of my more reasonable scenes top out at 16GB or less before optimizing though.

Reactions: woody554

DS23G

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2019
That's pretty much my take on it as well. It's definitely possible to optimize most scenes to fit into 8-10GB but if I have to spend ANY time on optimization that's time wasted and if I have to do it with every scene that's a LOT of time wasted. I think 20GB is probably enough that I would never have to optimize anything unless I really got crazy and wanted to do something like a high rez scene in a crowded dance club or something, reflections, lots of lights, 20+ people, something like that. That's probably going to exceed that 20GB buffer unless you tweak stuff. Most of my more reasonable scenes top out at 16GB or less before optimizing though.
To add to that, if you work with the iray engine on DAZ, you have to take into consideration that that engine isn't optimized...perfectly, to put it mildly. Nothing more tilting than having been fiddling around with your render to make sure it gets rendered by the GPU, just for DAZ switching from GPU to CPU rendering 20 minutes into the render process.
Then there's the VRAM usage creep, where some of the VRAM doesn't get freed up after a render is done, so the more renders you do a day, the more VRAM gets chipped away from what you'll have available for the next render. Only way to free that tied down VRAM up again is completely shutting DAZ down, which slows down your workflow over time.

So yeah, if you're doing anything with DAZ that requires as much rendering as possible per day, get a GPU that has 20gb+ VRAM, otherwise you'll need to do alot of fiddling around to optimize your scenes or have to compromise when it comes to their scope.

Reactions: woody554 and khumak

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
If the sky's the limit, then get:
5990 Threadripper CPU, Overclocked and custom cooled
256 GB Ram
A pair of 4TB M.2 SSDs(8TB if available by then)
2 x A.6000 Quadro 48 GB, with NV Link, 96 GB total VRAM

This should gobble up complex renders and animations with ease.
Of course, none of these are available yet lol!

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
If the sky's the limit, then get:
5990 Threadripper CPU, Overclocked and custom cooled
256 GB Ram
A pair of 4TB M.2 SSDs(8TB if available by then)
2 x A.6000 Quadro 48 GB, with NV Link, 96 GB total VRAM

This should gobble up complex renders and animations with ease.
Of course, none of these are available yet lol!
8TB NVMe M.2 drives are already available - look at the Sabrent Rocket
The RTX 8000 card has 48GB of VRAM and has NVLink enabled out of the box.