What is the best tool to make a consistent character in 2D with animations?

raquitic

Aug 17, 2019
Hello, i want to make a game with 2D pictures, the problem is to make the same character in different angles, clothes, poses. And the other problem is how to make the effect that they have an animation.

What tool is the best to make this? I prefer a free tool.

I tried with Ai, but with Ai is almost impossible to have consistent characters, and to make the animations you have to pay.

I don't know if there are a good 2d skins in Daz.

And yes, i don´t want to make money with the game, is not the idea.

17MOONKEYS

Adult Fairy Tales
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2023
One of the best tools for creating consistent 2D characters with animations is Adobe Animate. Formerly known as Flash, Adobe Animate is a powerful software that allows you to create vector-based graphics and animations. Its robust set of tools enables you to design characters and animate them seamlessly. With features like frame-by-frame animation, bone animation, and tweening, you can bring your characters to life with fluid movements.

Another popular option is Toon Boom Harmony. It's widely used in the animation industry and offers advanced features for character design and animation. Its rigging and puppet animation tools make it easier to create complex character animations while maintaining consistency.

For those looking for open-source options, Krita and Synfig Studio are worth considering. Krita is primarily a painting program, but it also supports animation features, making it suitable for creating 2D characters and animations. Synfig Studio, on the other hand, is dedicated animation software with a focus on vector-based animation. It's free and open-source, making it accessible to anyone looking to create 2D animations.

Ultimately, the best tool for you depends on your specific needs, workflow preferences, and level of expertise. It's worth experimenting with a few different options to see which one suits you best.

ChatGPT lol

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
AI is not yet good enough to do either of those things without significant manual work.

I know this because I am working on exactly that same thing at the moment.

With enough repeated generations, careful selection of your model/lora/prompt, leveraging Controlnet for face and posing, and finish with image editing (which includes composing together the good parts of multiple generations and fixing small things like hand, eyes, clothing or hair detals) it's possible to get fairly good "2d drawn" equivalent images without being able to do art.

The "AI animation" function is simply not good enough yet - you get constant ugly tween-morphs.

My approach to basic loop animation is to take the images generated with the first approach and then use "cut up and skeleton animate" technique - kind of like southpark style. Currently i've made the most progress on this by using Synfig Studio as mentioned by 17MOONKEYS above. But it is a very janky and crashprone beast - feels like using GIMP instead of PS.

Last edited: