What is the most favored game engine by player Users

taler

Oct 5, 2017
I think f95 has unique data that can help developers if it's possible to share.

The frequency of people clicking these filters should tell us what the most favored engine is by users.

Anyway, what do you guys think it is? Can admins please share this data?

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
Renpy
It is the most common engine here, and every poll i saw here asking that had the same result

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
Yep, it's definitely renpy. But whether an engine is popular or not shouldn't weigh too heavily on a dev's choice for which engine they pick. If you're really good at HTML and suck at python then picking renpy just because it's popular would make the game worse and you wouldn't see as much success. Also the type of story weighs heavily on which engine to pick. If you're making an RPG then using one of the RPGM engines is probably your best bet.

In summary, as much as I like data I don't think this data would be particularly helpful to developers and may actually be detrimental in specific cases so I don't see any reason to share it. If a dev is debating between a couple options and makes a poll that's different because there's more context and they've likely already filtered out any particularly bad options.

Reactions: Megalodon1255

taler

Oct 5, 2017
Yes it's RenPy. But I want it to be proven so that everyone knows about it and it's shown statistically, like how much more people prefer renpy. There are devs out there making VNs in unity or rpgm and that's straight up trolling self sabotage.

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
Yes it's RenPy. But I want it to be proven so that everyone knows about it and it's shown statistically, like how much more people prefer renpy. There are devs out there making VNs in unity or rpgm and that's straight up trolling self sabotage.
People have their own reasons for making games so you really can't call it self-sabotage without knowing those reasons. For me, I started because I wanted something to keep my coding skills active and only chose renpy because my background is mostly in python. Eventually (once I have a better PC) I want to learn unity and unreal (hopefully UE5 but I'd settle with UE4) just for the sake of learning. There's things I could do in those engines that I could never hope to accomplish in renpy. And I'm not the only dev who thinks this way. Yes there's some that are just doing it to make a quick buck but more often than not those games end up failing miserably regardless of which engine was used. The devs who are truly passionate about making a game don't care about how popular their game is because they are only making it for themselves. I wouldn't really call that self-sabotage.

taler

Oct 5, 2017
People have their own reasons for making games so you really can't call it self-sabotage without knowing those reasons. For me, I started because I wanted something to keep my coding skills active and only chose renpy because my background is mostly in python. Eventually (once I have a better PC) I want to learn unity and unreal (hopefully UE5 but I'd settle with UE4) just for the sake of learning. There's things I could do in those engines that I could never hope to accomplish in renpy. And I'm not the only dev who thinks this way. Yes there's some that are just doing it to make a quick buck but more often than not those games end up failing miserably regardless of which engine was used. The devs who are truly passionate about making a game don't care about how popular their game is because they are only making it for themselves. I wouldn't really call that self-sabotage.
?? If you're making a shooter then sure. But if you're making a narrative-based game revolving around text and static 2d images using anything other than Renpy is complete nonsense.

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Renpy, flash, unity, UE, rpgm (good quality games not copypaste trashware) are my personal faves (in order too)

AetherL

May 3, 2021
This is absolutely nonsense ...

Your statistics say absolutely nothing in the state in which you want to present them. And your misconception on the "nonsense" of a development with something other than renpy is bullshit. That said, you can think what you want, but if you could avoid trying to induce false ideas in others it is better.

Your statistics do not indicate the reason for using the filter.

- It could be bad knowledge on the field ....
There are potentially people who have been told exactly the same kind of bullshit that you are saying and who have assumed, for example, that pure VNs are well done under renpy and that's it. And if he came across a bad sandbox game under unity one day accentuating his preconceptions. And we have a guy who filters by choosing renpy but who, if we gave him a good VN done with unity, would appreciate it just as much as if it were done with renpy.

- Or a very good knowledge of renpy which would allow them to cheat more easily than under unity and if he regularly fell on games which require hacking the stats because potentially badly done, he will stay on what he knows.

We could find many more I imagine ...

It doesn't take recursion into account, personally I don't use filters, I don't have a strong preference but it can happen that one day I want to sort with this filter for any reason and it will enter your stats while as said above I have no preference ...
The same goes for people who might have filtered out by choosing renpy one day and unity another day, for whatever reason. The first goes into your stats and makes them go up and the other doesn't necessarily go into it depending on how it's done

It does not take into account all those who do not use the filters and therefore limits this idea preferably to a group whose size we do not know.

And I doubt that those who work on this forum are going to waste their time doing stats readings with rigor and multiple conditions, just for you or a small group of people.

Is it easier to produce a game under renpy than under unity or rpgm or whatever? Not necessarily...

A person who knows how to program correctly in javascript or C # will potentially have an easier time producing his game under unity than under renpy if iits not just the variable / condition .

Someone with a lot of experience with rpgm is going to produce easily with rpgm ofcourse.

And so on.

If we start from zero indeed for a VN without a displacement system on map type rpgm or combat type rpgm, then yes renpy can be easier. This is also why this is what we see the most.

Does that make using anything other than renpy nonsense ... no.

It is a choice, which can take into account many other aspects.

The person can decide to learn to produce a game under unity, learn javascript for example, learn the interface etc ... and make a very good game, only because it gives him more possibilities for the future (game 3d etc ...)
And also a person who needs a combat / inventory / movement system on map etc ... will surely choose rpgm because everything is already integrated.
And again there is a lot of possibility that leads to the choice made by the developers. So nonsense ... Maybe for you but ... who cares.

Reactions: tdree

Jofur

May 22, 2018
I'm a Unity dev so I'm obviously biased towards it. Renpy is great for most simpler games but can get a bit annoying the more complex a game gets, and it definitely feels a bit limiting. I do feel some games could have benefitted from being on Unity, if only for stuff like less crappy mini-games and better and more attractive UI. But if you are making a visual-novel style game in Unity you better make sure it has most if not all of the base features a VN-engine does like customizable text speed, skippable lines, fast forward and rollback.

What makes me try/look into a game depends more on if the game fits the engine. I'm less likely to play a story/visual heavy game if it's made in RPGM, and I'm less likely to play a Renpy game if it's a gameplay or menu heavy game.

UpAfterTen

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
As a dev I like RenPy because I already knew a bit of Python and it was pretty easy to pick up the basics of its scripting language.

As a player I like RenPy because it seems like every game that uses another engine for a VN is buggy as shit with weird idiosyncrasies that crop up and detract from the gameplay experience.

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
That is wrong on so many levels. Different engine are targeted towards different types of games and developers with different backgrounds. Different requirements in game mechanics require different engines as well.

If the aspiring developer wants to develop a simple rpg, has no experience coding and wants to get their game out quickly, the most reasonable option is rpgm. The same with simple visual novels and renpy.

If that developer has some experience with c# or wants to do something more complicated, the most reasonable option is unity.

In any case the popularity of an engine shouldn't matter when selecting an engine to make a game. Yes, there is a reason some engines are popular, but the considerations for picking an engine go way beyond t popularity.

Shades19

Jun 8, 2017
RenPy blows every engine in terms of popularity and caters to visual novel element that fans adhere to.
Unity is at a distant second.

Personally I like RPG Maker a lot, and my first adult game I played on here used this system.

Jul 22, 2019
That is wrong on so many levels. Different engine are targeted towards different types of games and developers with different backgrounds. Different requirements in game mechanics require different engines as well.

If the aspiring developer wants to develop a simple rpg, has no experience coding and wants to get their game out quickly, the most reasonable option is rpgm. The same with simple visual novels and renpy.

If that developer has some experience with c# or wants to do something more complicated, the most reasonable option is unity.

In any case the popularity of an engine shouldn't matter when selecting an engine to make a game. Yes, there is a reason some engines are popular, but the considerations for picking an engine go way beyond t popularity.
While you are right, the OP does have a point. If your game doesn't require many overly complex mechanics, or you're not making an rpg, you should look for an appropriate engine for THAT particular type of game. Now in searching for such an engine, the very first, AND easiest thing you can do is look at what other people generally use to make said type of game. There is usually a reason why the majority of people do certain things over other things. Unless you can objectively discern that it is wrong and there is a better way, you should not go against it for its own sake or just for your own convenience.

A good example is VNs. There is a reason why Ren'py is popular for them. I can't list here all the features it has and the conveniences it provides to the player as well as the developer, but if you're going to use something else, you must ensure that you program in all of those features that the competition has, make it as lightweight and portable, and more. That is just more work you didn't have to do. I say this because I have legit seen people use FUCKING UNREAL ENGINE, to make simple linear VNs, doing that is absolute self sabotage and braindead imo. Just because you have used it before and you're comfortable with C++/blueprints doesn't mean that its the thing you should do.

Now beyond that, the engine used 100% IS a factor in the consumers' minds when deciding what to or what not to download (the hatred for RPGM being just one example) and ignoring it/pretending it is not, that is not good at all. (Granted there is a limit to it, if you absolutely HAVE to use an "unpopular" engine, you should go for it).

Oct 26, 2017
Ren'py (a visual novel engine) can handle even the most complex RPG just fine and doesn't force 300MB of dependencies you will never use down the end user's throat (50MB of which is actually removable if they aren't lazy), nor will it fry your device with rendering madness when your game is 2D or very basic 3D that doesn't need fancy rendering and shaders everywhere.

Unfortunately, it used to be able to run every game on even the oldest rig with some fallback tweaks, but that's no longer the case to my knowledge.

But since the thread title is "by player user/usage", I don't exactly poll F95 under the hood... I just tend to go with Ren'py or RMVX or older and stay the hell away from Unity if that matters.

Apr 19, 2019
It's not the engine, it's how you use it. Some engines are better suited to certain kinds of games than others, and you'll find certain engines favored over others by the developer due to flexibility, ease of use, workflow, etc.

Which engine is favored I think is more of a developer choice. The player will choose a game that appeals to them, regardless of engine choice. Some players shy away from visual novels, while others prefer them. Some are repelled by RPGs, and others really enjoy them. Some prefer 2d. Some prefer 3d. Some prefer the graphics of their imagination and would rather stick to text based games. For this reason I don't think you can really poll which engine players favor. You can poll genres or themes, but not engines.

If you did poll which engine is favored by players, the one that has the most finished and quality games made within it will win. This doesn't mean players prefer that engine. It just means there are more good games made in that engine than in others.

Reactions: F4C430