What is the most favored game engine by player Users

taler

Oct 5, 2017
For this reason I don't think you can really poll which engine players favor. You can poll genres or themes, but not engines.

If you did poll which engine is favored by players, the one that has the most finished and quality games made within it will win. This doesn't mean players prefer that engine. It just means there are more good games made in that engine than in others.
Nah people are able to tell what's features or UX bonuses or goofs exist because of the engine. Unity doesn't have a single properly functioning VN that's at parity with every renpy game out of the box no matter how skilled the dev is.

Apr 19, 2019
Nah people are able to tell what's features or UX bonuses or goofs exist because of the engine. Unity doesn't have a single properly functioning VN that's at parity with every renpy game out of the box no matter how skilled the dev is.
You gotta stick to the engine's strengths. Poll VN fans what their favorite engine is, they'll pick the VN focused engine. Poll RPG fans what their favorite engine is, they'll pick the RPG focused engine.

That said, most adult games are visual novels, and most good visual novels are made in Renpy. I guess for this reason, Renpy wins.

Oct 26, 2017
If RPG Maker MV/MZ players did care about having 500 copies of nwjs.dll (as well as completely useless locales and swiftshader caches that they can safely delete except for one locale), they might actually decide RMMV/RMMZ isn't worth the bloat. Especially when the game doesn't even need any Node.js library in the first place.

Of course, there are the older RPG Makers. But are they still trendy? Do people now know how to get rid of "RTP not found" without installing the RTP 100 times and just doing it right, you know, extract the RTP, point to the folder and register the pointer, or having the developers feed them the RTP over and over again without their end users realizing they'll end up with (dozens, hundreds of) thousands of duplicate files?

For RMMV/RMMZ: "You might not need jQuery" in another flavor. The end user may sometimes argue that they can easily mod the game using JSON and JavaScript, which is a very valid argument to defend the engine's usefulness but still won't help with the bloat.

If I recall correctly, F95 encompasses everything as "RM", which doesn't exactly help. I can name a few games made with RPG Maker 2000 that somehow manage to outperform MV/MZ games without even running into the expected encoding issues. But would they be popular? Not really. Everyone's all about having 4K resolution on their 320x240 phone nowadays.

That post was more of a rant than anything else. Must be getting tired, sorry.

Apr 19, 2019
If I recall correctly, F95 encompasses everything as "RM", which doesn't exactly help. I can name a few games made with RPG Maker 2000 that somehow manage to outperform MV/MZ games without even running into the expected encoding issues. But would they be popular? Not really. Everyone's all about having 4K resolution on their 320x240 phone nowadays.

That post was more of a rant than anything else. Must be getting tired, sorry.
No worries. F95 should distinguish between RM2k/3, XP, VX/Ace, MV/MZ. They do for Wolf RPG Editor already.

2K/3 still has a pretty big following. You just can't get the same SNES RPG feel in the newer, higher res RPG Makers. I followed the release of MZ pretty closely, and one of the most requested features people were hoping would be implemented is custom resolutions and tile sizes so they can use the 320x240 resolution with 16x16 tiles.

Oct 26, 2017
No worries. F95 should distinguish between RM2k/3, XP, VX/Ace, MV/MZ. They do for Wolf RPG Editor already.
I stand corrected. Thank you for the information!
2K/3 still has a pretty big following. You just can't get the same SNES RPG feel in the newer, higher res RPG Makers. I followed the release of MZ pretty closely, and one of the most requested features people were hoping would be implemented is custom resolutions and tile sizes so they can use the 320x240 resolution with 16x16 tiles.
Ah, this is also pretty interesting. Nostalgia still has hope, I see. :)