What is your favorite anime and why?

Evil Dr Porkchop

Brought to you by expensive technology
Donor
May 16, 2019
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Great plot, great characters, interesting setting, good message of hope. Some of the best twists I've ever seen.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Spice and Wolf are two good runners up.
Ghost in the Shell,pretty much a done deal ,what i really hate is Hollywood's approach to Anime.you think you can do better than Akira ? there was one anime i saw, a girl was raped and killed and became an assassin ,if anyone know's the title I'd be great-full ( pretty Vague....no not Battle Angle..... something far more darker,my memory fades

Death Note still an epic

J0K3RXXX

Dec 7, 2018
In a previous message I stated that my favorite anime are Death Note and Monster. However, before seriously entering the world of anime, I must confess that when I was a kid I always liked Captain Tsubasa, Detective Conan (or Case Closed) and Dragon Ball.

As for why Death Note and Monster are my favorites, it's simple: their mysterious and original plot hooked me completely.

By the way, it was mentioned recently that a new official one-shot of Death Note, to be published in a few weeks. It will have about 80 pages. I hope that in it, they give their deserved to that asshole called Near. (Long live Kira!)

As for Monster, I highly recommend everyone who has seen it, read its official continuation: the novel Another Monster.
PS: Taking advantage of the current confinement, I must add to my list of favorite anime one that I just finished watching: Attack on Titan.
I do not usually see anime whose plot is still ongoing (I'm not very patient), but given its good recommendations, I was encouraged to see it and I loved it. I hope the coronavirus doesn't affect its next season very much.

Reactions: Back and Armonie

Lasid

Apr 19, 2020
i grew up with cartoons and found out later in life a lot of them were actually anime, but what really got me into the whole thing was the first airing in my country of the original Dragonball followed by Pokemon both in 1999 and then DBZ of which i still got my VHS tapes.
great times great times!

below are some more recent shows, might throw in some more later or sumthin

Redline (reminds me of wacky races, great OST, also the movie took 7 years to release as every frame was handdrawn - around 100k in total, give it a shot if not for the story then for the pure work that went into it)

Kill la Kill (great OST, gals kickin butt whats not to love)
Eureka Seven
Bleach
Diamond no Ace
Yowamushi Pedal
Baki (more beatings pls?)
Kengan Ashura (even more beatings pls?)
Enen no Shouboutai
Beastars
Cannon Busters
Hajime no Ippo
Strike Witches
Symphogear

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Wicked City / Demon City Shinjuku (Makai Toshi Shinjuku)/ Urotsukidoji / and Ghost in the Shell for movies (+ Kuroinu for hentai anime)
(Urotsukidoji and Wicked city are must watch if you like erotic anime and monsters)

But the best series, by far (for my taste), is Urusei Yatsura. Funniest anime ever made, even though rather old now.
Urusei_Yatsura_Music_Capsule.jpg

Evil Dr Porkchop

Donor
May 16, 2019
Wicked City / Demon City Shinjuku (Makai Toshi Shinjuku)/ Urotsukidoji / and Ghost in the Shell for movies (+ Kuroinu for hentai anime)
(Urotsukidoji and Wicked city are must watch if you like erotic anime and monsters)

But the best series, by far (for my taste), is Urusei Yatsura. Funniest anime ever made, even though rather old now.
View attachment 648515
A man of my own taste's....Urotsukidoji cost me a girlfriend, Urusei Yatsura I'll have to look it up,Gender Bender's Ore Twintail ni Narimasu,] Kämpfer

Waiting for Mushoku Tensei

Thoroughly enjoyed this

Reactions: Niteowl

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
A man of my own taste's....Urotsukidoji cost me a girlfriend, Urusei Yatsura I'll have to look it up,Gender Bender's Ore Twintail ni Narimasu,] Kämpfer

Waiting for Mushoku Tensei

Thoroughly enjoyed this
Urusei Yatsura is a very old show, really funny (and extremely silly) about oni (ogres) from outer space and crazy humans. It was written by Takahashi Rumiko, also famous for Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and Inu Yassha (all very good actually, but imo Urusei Yatsura, the oldest, was also her best).
By the way, aside from a very long TV show they also made 6 Urusei Yatsura movies. The second, Beautiful Dreamer, would probably be one of my favorite anime of all time. Silly, but also very surreal. An anime masterpiece.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Since there seems to be a lot of experts here I will ask for your help.

I'm trying to identify an anime whose first episode I watched a while ago and liked it, but I forgot its name and can't find it.
In the very beginning, the main character gets out of school and is waiting for his train on the subway platform when a drunken bum falls onto the tracks. Of all people, only a childhood friend of his jumps down and tries to help the man, he recognizes the MC and asks for his help. They both rescue the bum but are killed by the train... and transported to a new dimension.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Canade

Sep 26, 2018
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Cowboy Bebop
Freezing
Ghost In the Shell SAO
Blood lad
Overlord
Fate/Stay Night >> not unlimited blade works
Fate/Extra Last Encore
Fate/?? >> has Joan of Arc in it
Street Fighter II the animated movie >> both versions
Chronicles of a Failed Knight
Castlevania
SAO >> the first 14 episodes
Heroes Academia
One Punch Man
Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super
Initial D
Ruroni Kenshin
Kill la Kill >> makes me laugh. a lot.
Kengan Ashura
There's more, but I can't remember the names.

I like the stories, action, and character development.

Last edited:

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
I haven't watched much, all the school moe shit drives me away and the overwhelming Nippon-ness can be obnoxious. Ghost In the Shell though, eschews practically everything I hate about typical (?) anime, and is one of my favorite movies, period.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Since there seems to be a lot of experts here I will ask for your help.

I'm trying to identify an anime whose first episode I watched a while ago and liked it, but I forgot its name and can't find it.
In the very beginning, the main character gets out of school and is waiting for his train on the subway platform when a drunken bum falls onto the tracks. Of all people, only a childhood friend of his jumps down and tries to help the man, he recognizes the MC and asks for his help. They both rescue the bum but are killed by the train... and transported to a new dimension.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Well, it took me a lot of trial end error but finally found it. It's Gantz.

Going back to the topic of this thread, I've never been a great fan of anime TBH. As a child I enjoyed many of the classics of my time, mostly Dragon Ball and Captain Tsubasa. Also, I used to watch some older classics that had been really popular years before but kept being re-broadcast in my country over and over again (Mazinger Z, Dash Kappei, Doraemon, Saint Seiya, Rupan sensei, etc.).
We never thought of them as anime though, they were just action or comedy cartoons for us kids.

Anyway, I don't like many of the most popular genres in anime. For me, series like One Piece, Naruto or Gintama are for kids (I don't mean to offend anyone), they bore me and I feel stupid watching them, although I must admit the few episodes I watched of Gintama made me laugh.
However, in my adulthood I've enjoyed a bunch of animes with more serious or darker tones. My favourite ones:
- Monster
- Death Note
- Boku dake ga Inai Machi (one of the best series I've ever watched, anime and not)
- Tokyo Ghoul
and probably a couple more I don't remember now.

An exception: One Punch Man. Maybe just because it caters for the hater inside of me with its parodic depiction of anime/manga heroes, but I found it really fresh and entertaining. I only watched season 1.

EDIT: I just remembered I wanted to add another interesting fact. About 10 years ago I had a friend who was really into anime and insisted that I should give it an opportunity. She suggested two series: Vampire Knight and School Days. I never made it past VN's 3rd or 4th episode, while School Days' ending left me traumatized for years. Like seriously, I never watched an anime again in like 4 o 5 years after that.

Last edited:

Evil Dr Porkchop

Donor
May 16, 2019
Well, it took me a lot of trial end error but finally found it. It's Gantz.
Looks good I'm running out of anime to watch,Robotech is still my favorite as it introduced me to anime back in the 80's

Watch Robotech,off to school

Another one i found enjoyable,I may had mentioned it,is Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari

Hollywood better pick it's game up, the latest movie I was interested in was Greyhound,what a pile of shit,White Tiger a Russian move that was surprisingly good but I'm going off topic

Reactions: Aristos

masqetch

Feb 24, 2020
Tales of Zestiria X
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Vesperia
OreGairu
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Ergo Proxy

I think that's all I've ever seen/my favorites.