What kind of MC do you prefer/dislike?

Jun 21, 2020
I know I don't like funny and charismatic characters (I don't know why exactly, but if I had to guess, I'd say it breaks my immersion... like I know it is the dev writing behind that kind of talk... especially if the character also breaks the fourth wall to talk to the player, I dislike that a bit).
And love innocent or perverts, although I hate their exaggerations ("naive" or "horny bastard that treats women as objects").
Also I don't mind the silent type that only "talks" when the player chooses an option from a list of them (like in Skyrim), they don't have thoughts or ever speak. They act as a medium for the player to interact with the world around them.

This is a question I don't see answered in any thread (if you know of any I missed please refer me to it) so yeah, let me know! :)

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I much prefer characters to have more than one personality trait, regardless of what they might be, and that are at least smarter than the paint on my walls. Often times the MC's only trait is that they're super horny. As much flak as Summertime Saga gets, at least the MC there has a multi-faceted personality, and isn't just an archetype.

PurpleDeep

Aug 24, 2019
Submissive and breedable. But I don't like the whole "naive" thing either. It is better when the MC knows what they like. Even better if they are cocky or pretentious. And some humor never hurts.

Cosy Creator

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2022
MCs that are the human equivalent of a spineless quivering jelly really annoy me. The type where the plot kinda just happens to them, and they don't have any goals or agency of their own. So add a sprinkle of brain power and a bit of assertiveness, and I can get along with most other MC tropes.

Warthief

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2020
I know I don't like funny and charismatic characters (I don't know why exactly, but if I had to guess, I'd say it breaks my immersion... like I know it is the dev writing behind that kind of talk... especially if the character also breaks the fourth wall to talk to the player, I dislike that a bit).
And love innocent or perverts, although I hate their exaggerations ("naive" or "horny bastard that treats women as objects").
Also I don't mind the silent type that only "talks" when the player chooses an option from a list of them (like in Skyrim), they don't have thoughts or ever speak. They act as a medium for the player to interact with the world around them.

This is a question I don't see answered in any thread (if you know of any I missed please refer me to it) so yeah, let me know! :)
I like both types of
-MC who have a personality and have goals they want to achive, they not driven by just sex but sex is part of their adventure.
-The "silent" MC that represent the player in game, but that need many gameplay options and it very hard to find a sandbox game in that way.

Nadekai

Aug 18, 2021
I hate meek characters who make no effort to change themselves. I also hate characters who allow themselves to be pushed around.

Reactions: Lerd0

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
For the most part, It comes down to execution more than concept for me. Ex. I usually don't like rapey/pervy protagonists, but Rance makes it work.

In general, I just want the MC to be interesting, and preferably look alright. They don't have to be a badass or a wuss, and most attempts to go too hard in either direction feel flat. If it's some mindless sex game, I'll settle for style, but if it's a visual novel type of game, or there's a lot of story, I would like to see an actual personality and hopefully some development along the way.

Humor is the hardest to get right - speaking from experience LMAO - but I can overlook a lot if the MC is genuinely funny. Then again, if the dev can actually write humor, they're also probably capable of writing good characters, so it tends to be a chicken-or-egg situation in my experience.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I dislike MCs that aren't believable.

Like by example Reunion's MC, who's supposed to have been an elite soldier, but would have been killed the instant he was sent on the field. Who's supposed to have a strong will, but pass his time whining like a little boy. And who must be bipolar seen how often he pass from pure anger, or deep depression, to the happiness to have girls who know only one way to entertain him, sex, returning to his previous state the instant he emptied his balls.
Give me a weak MC, a whining one, one that is a total jerk, or whatever, I don't care. You can even make him stay like that from starts to end, I'll still not care much. But at least make this be consistent. Don't present him one way, then make him act like the total opposite.

Jun 21, 2020
I dislike MCs that aren't believable.

Like by example Reunion's MC, who's supposed to have been an elite soldier, but would have been killed the instant he was sent on the field. Who's supposed to have a strong will, but pass his time whining like a little boy. And who must be bipolar seen how often he pass from pure anger, or deep depression, to the happiness to have girls who know only one way to entertain him, sex, returning to his previous state the instant he emptied his balls.
Give me a weak MC, a whining one, one that is a total jerk, or whatever, I don't care. You can even make him stay like that from starts to end, I'll still not care much. But at least make this be consistent. Don't present him one way, then make him act like the total opposite.
I totally agree with that, and although I haven't played that game, I can already tell you it is a turnoff...
I hate it when that happens.
Yet I wouldn't mind an MC that starts out a certain way, and ends up with a complete different personality just by playing the game. Like a character arc in terms of personality. But of course it all depends on the game.
If you move from a VN to a management game, a silent character would be fine to me...

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
If you move from a VN to a management game, a silent character would be fine to me...
Even with a VN(-like) game the MC can, and should, be mostly silent.

Yes, he's the center of the story, but this doesn't mean that he need to be the center of attention. I mean, when you are in the center of something, what you see it the circle, not its center... And the same should apply here.

The MC have to talk, of course. He have a personality, and a part of it will be expressed through his words. But he don't have to starts all the discussions. He don't have to answer all the questions, especially when he isn't directly concerned. He don't have to ensure that the discussion keep going. He don't carry the story over his shoulders, the story should exist with him, not through him.
After all, here "MC" mean "Main Character", not "Master of Ceremony". He isn't Monsieur Loyal, his role isn't to present and explain everything, but to serve as vessel for the player to travel through the story, for those who self insert, or as light in the dark, for those who prefer to stay a witness.

Please, devs, let your MC be silent when his voice isn't needed. Let the players discover, then like or hate, the other characters through what they see, not through what the MC think. A player should like or dislike a character because he feel like it, not because you decided it and enforced this through the MC voice.

Reactions: danilao32
Jun 21, 2020
Even with a VN(-like) game the MC can, and should, be mostly silent.

Yes, he's the center of the story, but this doesn't mean that he need to be the center of attention. I mean, when you are in the center of something, what you see it the circle, not its center... And the same should apply here.
I agree with you in that a VN with a silent MC would be fine (and even preferred for me personally), but even still, I don't think it "should" be that way. I mean, I believe a VN can still be good with a character with strong personality in, let's say, a kinetic VN. In that case, the dev tells a story and then the player just reads/watches through it, like a novel but visual (VN hehe).
So yeah, I am fine having both ways of telling a story... letting the player play, or convert his gameplay into a story with few to none decisions.

Please, devs, let your MC be silent when his voice isn't needed. Let the players discover, then like or hate, the other characters through what they see, not through what the MC think. A player should like or dislike a character because he feel like it, not because you decided it and enforced this through the MC voice.
Although again, I do agree and share your point of view for me personally. I don't really play many VNs, and don't enjoy most kinetic ones.

Reactions: Cosy Creator

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] I don't think it "should" be that way.
It's a recommendation, not a requirement.

I mean, I believe a VN can still be good with a character with strong personality in, let's say, a kinetic VN. In that case, the dev tells a story and then the player just reads/watches through it, like a novel but visual (VN hehe).
What is perfectly possible with a mostly silent MC.

Him having a strong personality doesn't mean that he have to decide for everything. He can be daredevil, and yet agree with the secondary characters wanting to go the safe way. His implication during the discussion would then limits to him proposing an approach, then when everyone have agree to the safe way, to conclude with something like "I would prefer to do it [whatever way], but it would make no sense if we split at that moment".
It's not because he have this or that trait, that he have to systematically express it. It would also make him selfish and arrogant, while going for a compromise would make him more human. Contrarily to what some believe, being silent isn't necessarily a weakness.

This also apply for a purely kinetic novel. In fact it generally apply more for a kinetic novel since having a MC is less necessary in this case.

Jun 21, 2020
What is perfectly possible with a mostly silent MC.
I've read a discussion about this a long time ago... and yes, I know it is possible, I am not say it isn't. I'm just saying that I don't feel like should be in any particular way.
To say more, although I do believe that a writer's decision of having a silent vs a speaking character IS important for the story. I don't think either way is "best" or worth of recommendation. I feel anyway you can tell a story and get the player engaged is good regardless of the way you though your MC should behave (or if they should even exist, for VNs with more than one protagonist).

TKdropemoff

Oct 4, 2023
An MC who can stand on his two feet and knows when to stand up for himself.
Like it's already a trend of MCs aka doormats who let every and anyone walk all over him.
Never have fun playing as MCs like that. I like an MC who could put people in their place if they are stepping too far over the edge.

Not some asshole… lets say an “Alpha” MC. But not really an alpha, he is just a man who is an ass most of the time. I hate asshole MCs as much as pussy MCs. You can take charge without being a jerk and treating people around you like dirt.
A good balance is key.

Just give me a normal guy for once who is not scared of women and immature as hell with a personality.
Not a weak MC, and a common panty, and peaking pervert.

Also, nothing grind my gears more than a stupid MC as well with no type of logical thinking skills.