Blender What looks off about this character design?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Hey,

So over the weekend I created a new character for some project I have been playing around with for a while. While overall she looks fine, something is bugging me and makes me think something looks off with her, but I can't place my finger on what it is. My first instinct is saying its something with her lips but what it is exactly I dont know.

Laura.jpg

For comparison this is the first character I worked on where I don't have the same feeling something looks off, lighted same way, same render settings etc.

Pizza_girl.jpg

Hoping somebody has some insight or i'm I just going on about nothing.

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Hmm... First, the obvious: the bottom character is younger. And for some reason she looks better lit up as well, specifically her eyes are well lit. You can even glimpse tiny sparkles on her eyes, which always add to the expression.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
the first looks worse resolution and generally crappier which might be because of trying to age her up by using crappy wrinkles and textures. it doesn't look like your using the same settings for it, because it looks so much crappier.

Saint_RNG

Game Developer
Apr 2, 2018
In my opinion, there are two problems :
  • The scene lighting is different from the second image and/or the asset used for the eyes is "worse".
  • The asset used for the hair is less realistic than the one used for the second. It looks more 3D/"Plastic".

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I think it might be the sclera? It applies on the second example, too, but the irises save it. They've got that punch. The first one lacks the same punch in the eyes. That could be due to the dark brown not taking in much light, too. I don't think the glasses are helping much here. Have you tried taking the glasses off?

eri

Game Developer
Dec 3, 2017
For me the makeup on her cheek at first char. looks just.... jsut a bit too much. Maybe ? She looks good tbh.
Maybe the hairs compare to face are just a bit lower res.

Talking about first pic not second. Second looks nice.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Alright V2 taking most of your feedback into account.

Laura_v2.jpg

Changed the lightning to the exact of the other character (I thought it was but apperently moved a lamp around).

Changed her skin texture slightly by mostly removing some attempts of trying to mix in aging details. It's definitely better but she lost some of the aging details. Think she can still pass as somebody in her late 30's early 40's. Maybe will try sculpting in some of the details on the model myself, but doubt it has enough vertices for that. And reduced her blush a bit.

Redid most of her hair and lowered the thickness of it. Together with messing a bit with the hair shader improved it a fair amount. Maybe the split in the middle could use a bit more work, but happy with it overall.

For the eyes I want her to have glasses so instead of removing them, I just removed any light absorption of the glass in the glasses. Together with making the brown a bit lighter, and the improved lightning popped up her eyes more.

Think thats about it. Still feel something is off with her lips but considering nobody mentioned those, It might just be me.

Thanks for the feedback

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Think thats about it. Still feel something is off with her lips but considering nobody mentioned those, It might just be me.
The shade might be a little dark for her complexion, but that's obviously very much a taste thing. Your lip textures look great, imo.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Alright V2 taking most of your feedback into account.

View attachment 3927934

Changed the lightning to the exact of the other character (I thought it was but apperently moved a lamp around).

Changed her skin texture slightly by mostly removing some attempts of trying to mix in aging details. It's definitely better but she lost some of the aging details. Think she can still pass as somebody in her late 30's early 40's. Maybe will try sculpting in some of the details on the model myself, but doubt it has enough vertices for that. And reduced her blush a bit.

Redid most of her hair and lowered the thickness of it. Together with messing a bit with the hair shader improved it a fair amount. Maybe the split in the middle could use a bit more work, but happy with it overall.

For the eyes I want her to have glasses so instead of removing them, I just removed any light absorption of the glass in the glasses. Together with making the brown a bit lighter, and the improved lightning popped up her eyes more.

Thanks for the feedback

I like this model. I don't see any obvious things that strike me as 'wrong' or 'off', with the exception of that odd artifact in her right eye. Not the catch lights.. those two spots are fine. It's like a white amoeba shape in the 10-oclock'ish position of her right iris. (close up below) I don't know if that's an attempt at a catch light but it just looks out of place to me.

Otherwise, this portrait gives me strong 'MILF" vibes... especially the sepia type coloring. Makes it seem old fashioned.

eye_closeup.JPG

Reactions: Synx

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
I like this model. I don't see any obvious things that strike me as 'wrong' or 'off', with the exception of that odd artifact in her right eye. Not the catch lights.. those two spots are fine. It's like a white amoeba shape in the 10-oclock'ish position of her right iris. (close up below) I don't know if that's an attempt at a catch light but it just looks out of place to me.

Otherwise, this portrait gives me strong 'MILF" vibes... especially the sepia type coloring. Makes it seem old fashioned.

View attachment 3934998
it's the same in the girl's eye, whatever it is
grrrl.png

Saint_RNG

Game Developer
Apr 2, 2018
it's the same in the girl's eye, whatever it is
I'd say lights coming from an HDRI.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018

View attachment 3934998
Didn't notice that, its reflection of the fill light which is a lot less strong and less sharp than the main light. Turning off the glossy part of that light removes it (or making it same sharpness as the normal light turns it into a small dot just like the right one).