What makes a vn 'fun'

xispix

Game Developer
Jun 16, 2018
I came up with a story and few renders for a visual novel I am working on but having trouble coming up with gameplay ideas. Since visual novels kind of lack real "gameplay", what makes a vn fun in your opinion?

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
VN or adult VN?

Either way, it should be a good and engaging story with interesting multidimensional characters.
The story and especially the ending should be planned from the beginning, even within the episode format.
The VN shouldn't be too long, it's better to have a shorter and good writen story then a long one with (too) much content.

Decisions should have an impact and can be a little more complex.
e.g. If I go route A, event B may not take place, maybe I will meet Chara Z much later or not at all.
Many VNs have similar processes, but they are often so simple that it only means that a few pictures are not shown.
I compare it to Japanese VNs, which are so much more complex than almost all western ones, but they are usually much too long.

The 'gameplay' should never be there just to extend the play time.

If it is an adult VN, do not let the MC sleep with everyone if the main 'goal' takes more time to 'conquer'. (Unless the story is built on that, of course.)

Reactions: xispix

xispix

Game Developer
Jun 16, 2018
VN or adult VN?

Either way, it should be a good and engaging story with interesting multidimensional characters.
The story and especially the ending should be planned from the beginning, even within the episode format.
The VN shouldn't be too long, it's better to have a shorter and good writen story then a long one with (too) much content.

Decisions should have an impact and can be a little more complex.
e.g. If I go route A, event B may not take place, maybe I will meet Chara Z much later or not at all.
Many VNs have similar processes, but they are often so simple that it only means that a few pictures are not shown.
I compare it to Japanese VNs, which are so much more complex than almost all western ones, but they are usually much too long.

The 'gameplay' should never be there just to extend the play time.

If it is an adult VN, do not let the MC sleep with everyone if the main 'goal' takes more time to 'conquer'. (Unless the story is built on that, of course.)
Thanks. I should of clarified it is an adult vn.

lurkathon

Donor
Jan 2, 2020
Good writing is key for VNs of course. Comedy, surprising events/plot twists and unique paths/endings being my favourite VN attributes.
Making even a small sandbox seems difficult to do well, from what I've seen here.
Mini games can add fun and distraction to the main story line/s, IMO more so when mini games can unlock rewards or story progression for the MC.

Reactions: xispix

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
If you are going to add gameplay to your VN then have a browse around first.

There are some good VN's out there with fun gameplay like Damsel's and Dragon's but then there are those with frustrating mini games that people hate with a passion.

Sandbox games are polarising. Some people love them, some hate them.

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
visual novels kind of lack real "gameplay", what makes a vn fun in your opinion?
In my personal opinion, I don't think gameplay you're thinking of belongs in a visual novel. A visual novel is just that, nothing more. Yes there are ways you can but overall I think it's a bad idea. You're trying to expand an engine outside it's intended purpose which is okay, but I'm personally against it.

Have you considered branching out from the visual novel format?

xispix

Game Developer
Jun 16, 2018
In my personal opinion, I don't think gameplay you're thinking of belongs in a visual novel. A visual novel is just that, nothing more. Yes there are ways you can but overall I think it's a bad idea. You're trying to expand an engine outside it's intended purpose which is okay, but I'm personally against it.

Have you considered branching out from the visual novel format?
Yes but I think my game is best suited as a vn. This is my first time trying to make a game so I want to make sure people are enjoying what they are playing or reading.

Reactions: lurkathon

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
I will take even a short story VN over one of the sandbox style ones any day. I have never seen a Sandbox VN that has been anything but time padding for lack of content.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I think fun might be the wrong word. I'd go with Engaging. I mean balling your eyes out because of a good sad story might be a good time as well (maybe not for an adult VN but in general).

For an adult visual novel erotic stimulation is probably the most important. Though how to get there can differ. Some games just shove as much sex as they can in your face as soon as possible while others hint and postpone drawing out the tension making the eventual reveal al the better. Lastly a dev can make you care about the character making the eventual sex scene connect on a more emotional level. It depends on your writing skill (and your interests as a player yourself of course).

Making even a small sandbox seems difficult to do well, from what I've seen here.
Not really difficult just a gigantic task. I think most devs underestimate the amount of work a sandbox is. There is a reason most indy or small studios don't make one. You need a ton of content to populate the world. Most devs just make the main story line and call it quits. I think Harem Hotel does a reasonable sandbox?
Another mistake some devs make is to make it to difficult. Having to do things in a very specific (moon-logic) way. There was a game where I missed over half the game because content seemed to dry up but that was just because I didn't do about ten steps in the correct order without missing a beat or having to restart.
Basically If I need a walkthrough to play your VN you're doing something wrong. (Though it is not a problem of just sandbox games though)

Mini games can add fun and distraction to the main story line/s, IMO more so when mini games can unlock rewards or story progression for the MC.
I'm more of the optional extra's rather then the games you need to do to progress the story. I actively hate quick time events in a VN because I'm usually just casually clicking through the game. I was thinking of incorporating a reverse quick time event though. (showing an event for a brief period of time but giving no time limit on clicking, I think it is better suited to a VN).

Reactions: lurkathon