Daz What makes an animation take longer/shorter to do in this certain case? (Sorta quick question I guess)

KinksterKitty

Jul 28, 2017
For those that have been following me, you know I am trying to do a booty slap animation to put in my game.

My question is that follows:

What makes the images for the animation take longer/shorter time to render? I am not talking about the props in said render (For example if there was a sofa in my scene, or a dancing monkey) Because as I see it, I can do the animation MAINLY in two ways:

1. Have a close up of the booty, and then the hand slaps it and it jiggles.

2. Have a "Overview shot" where you see the two actors, and I include facial animations for the two actors involved in the booty slap, as said booty gets slapped. Would me keyframing the facial expressions make the animation take longer time to finish?

Which of the two ways would be quicker? This booty slap is not involved in a sex scene, its just a woman walking by and some dude slaps her fine ass.

(Also, sorry for making a booty slap sound so formal lol ^^)

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
When rendering a single image, you may not care if it takes several minutes or even hours, but of course, with animations is not the same, so it is very important to optimize the scene.

Eliminate objects that won't be seen and that don't influence the light too much, especially refracting or translucent objects (don't just hide, as it still consumes VRAM; and make a backup before deleting things).

Use the right light; more points of light means more calculations for DAZ, if 2 or 3 points of light is enough, don't use 10, lol
That there is enough light is also important so that the image looks good and there are no white dots; in this sense, remember that you can always render the image with some more light and then use a video editing program to modify it and make it darker.

Check the rendering settings: render only one image with "Render Quality Enable" ON and look at how many iterations it makes and from how many iterations the image looks good... then you can change it to OFF and specify your iterations (example: DAZ, automatically, it might calculate that it needs 2000, but you see that from 500 the image looks good enough for a video).

In extreme cases and where the animation is a shot from afar, you can use "Scene Optimizer" to reduce the quality of textures by half (never do this in close-ups).

Finally, but it can be useful: take advantage of each frame, haha... if you want to make an animation where from frame 0 to frame 30 legs move, and then you want that from frame 30 to frame 60 arms move, when possible, do it all within the first 30 frames and then make a montage with a video editor (using "masks"); with that you reduce by half the rendering time of the full animation (note: this can't be done in all cases, but where it can, it is very useful).

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Lights, lights, lights. That's the key to get good times during rendering. Brighter scene, faster render, but not bright too much, because this makes render looks washed out and time is longer. Use dome light.

So use minimum of lights sources, but set scene to make it bright enough.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
rendering an animation is pretty similar to rendering a single image, as it just renders each frame of the animation seperatly. So compare how long it takes to render the close-up, vs the overview shot.

Finally, but it can be useful: take advantage of each frame, haha... if you want to make an animation where from frame 0 to frame 30 legs move, and then you want that from frame 30 to frame 60 arms move, when possible, do it all within the first 30 frames and then make a montage with a video editor (using "masks"); with that you reduce by half the rendering time of the full animation (note: this can't be done in all cases, but where it can, it is very useful).
I don't know if this is in DAZ (or what program OP is using), but certain render engines has a setting where it can recognize parts that hasnt changed between frames, and just straight up copy it from the last frame. This can reduce the render time by a fair amount.

KinksterKitty

Jul 28, 2017
thx everyone so far! I am only using like 15 frames, since the booty slap will be like 1-2 seconds. Rest I am doing with normal renders.

Light I use is ghost light, since that is the one I come to love lol.

I am still so sad there exists no booty jiggle animations :/ So I have to use morphs haha, which sadly only works in certain positions so they do not look weird

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
rendering an animation is pretty similar to rendering a single image, as it just renders each frame of the animation seperatly. So compare how long it takes to render the close-up, vs the overview shot.

I don't know if this is in DAZ (or what program OP is using), but certain render engines has a setting where it can recognize parts that hasnt changed between frames, and just straight up copy it from the last frame. This can reduce the render time by a fair amount.
I think DAZ don't have this plugin. All frame is rendered from zero. Maybe in future releases something like that come.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
thx everyone so far! I am only using like 15 frames, since the booty slap will be like 1-2 seconds. Rest I am doing with normal renders.

Light I use is ghost light, since that is the one I come to love lol.

I am still so sad there exists no booty jiggle animations :/ So I have to use morphs haha, which sadly only works in certain positions so they do not look weird
Well if your up for learning something new Blender has a soft body physics option, which can create automatic juggle animations when it moves.

Reactions: KinksterKitty

KinksterKitty

Jul 28, 2017
Well if your up for learning something new Blender has a soft body physics option, which can create automatic juggle animations when it moves.
Maybe, but then I would need to be able to import assets inbetween the two freely :p

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Diffeomorphic addon is supposed to be able to export from DaZ with textures, poses, bones, etc., into blender. I have never used it myself though, so no idea if it actually works.

But if it works, you might look into animating in blender completely. Animating in daz is pretty shit.

KinksterKitty

Jul 28, 2017
Diffeomorphic addon is supposed to be able to export from DaZ with textures, poses, bones, etc., into blender. I have never used it myself though, so no idea if it actually works.

But if it works, you might look into animating in blender completely. Animating in daz is pretty shit.
yeh we will see :)

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
This is how I do it.

When possible use the you can then render the background out separately and then delete the whole scene and render the characters separately. You can only do this with the HDRI cam as it's using an HDRI to light the scene, meaning it is not relying on the shadows, reflections, etc from the scene itself. a lot. It can have a habit of making your characters look awesome but shining to much light on a wall so you may have to experiment with different HDRI's. The limitations to this are the surface the characters are on. the bed, couch, etc cannot be deleted. I have recently tried this, I have not animated it yet so I can't give figures on time.
This is using the interior cam, I deleted the room and using the geometry editor removed all of the bed that she is not touching, this is the bit I will animate. Rendered as png though so it's transparent)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Then rendered the background without her and merged them in photoshop.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

When I don't/can't use an HDRI I use a single emission plane for lighting, focused on the characters, and I mean the characters, keep the background scene to the bare minimum. that's it, no more lights, the exception being a ghost light in a dark corner, .

Render a single frame at stupid low interactions, like 100 with the denoiser set at 99 and see how bad it is, but note the time it takes, then render it out at 500 with the denoiser at 499, once again not the time it takes. You then can work out a figure between the two sacrificing quality for time, if you want the same quality as a single picture it will literally take you hours and hours. A single frame for me as a pic is say 10 mins at 800 iterations when I animate I do 250 iterations and it only takes 2 minutes. An animation because it is moving does not need to be the same quality as a single pic.

For simple sex scenes like just up and down, 12 frames just going one way and looped to go the other way is fine, any other movements apart from a head or groin thrusting will jerk around, Ive tried 30 on bigger movements and it still jerked.

This is all on my mid level machine, and every time a thread like this comes up, I get different ideas from other answers people have posted so it's an ever evolving process.

Last edited: