What makes some games so successful while others are not?

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Not really, they can just ignore everyone....it's the best choice.....
I honestly don't think that's the best way to actually create a community which is durable. Sure, quite a few devs do it that way but DC, to stay with the example, has always been very approachable and people thank him for that by paying for a game which is completely free in the first place.

In the end there's always the choice, whether you want your project to be "just about your game" or whether you want it to be about "you and your game". The latter is more work but in return you may get a much more stable and supportive player base.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
I honestly don't think that's the best way to actually create a community which is durable. Sure, quite a few devs do it that way but DC, to stay with the example, has always been very approachable and people thank him for that by paying for a game, that is completely free in the first place.

In the end there's always the choice, whether you want your project to be about "just about your game" or whether you want it to be about "you and your game". The latter is more work but in return you may get a much more stable and supportive player base.
It's the best choice for their mental health....is what i was trying to say....

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Easy. Actually releasing the game itself aswell as updates frequently and communicating with the fans and community about the game
unfortunately though a game can be very successful despite lack of updates for many many months or in the worst case, not even a 0.1 version being released

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
It's the best choice for their mental health....is what i was trying to say....
I'd disagree; I gain *so* much positive energy from the community around my game. There's no way I would have survived 2020 without the crazy gang keeping me going and keeping me sane, or the amazing feedback on F95 and telling me I'm doing something right.

Some games breed unhappiness, I guess, but a lot of games (like Heavy5, or like Summertime Saga) generates a lot of happy energy that feeds creativity.

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
I'd disagree; I gain *so* much positive energy from the community around my game. There's no way I would have survived 2020 without the crazy gang keeping me going and keeping me sane, or the amazing feedback on F95 and telling me I'm doing something right.

Some games breed unhappiness, I guess, but a lot of games (like Heavy5, or like Summertime Saga) generates a lot of happy energy that feeds creativity.
K.....happy for u....
....hope that u continue to gain positive energy from the community...

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
K.....happy for u....
....hope that u continue to gain positive energy from the community...
I hope so :)

I think the devs that engage here fall into two broad groups; the ones that feel happy with their interactions with the community here, and stick around to contribute, and the ones that grow increasingly bitter and combatitive, burn out and end up on discord complaining that F95Zone is a toxic place.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Staimh

Staimh

Dec 12, 2020

Surely this must have a lot to do with your own ability to understand and dismiss those comments which are puerile/ridiculous/wilfully destructive/egotistical rants and therefore gain the positive energy that comes from those giving helpful/insightful/imaginative feedback.
I have to say I'm not sure my own self assuredness would survive somes of the completely invalid prejudiced rants I've seen.
And for that I do wish you all the best.

Edit: you completed your next post while I was writing this, for me it just reenforces my opinion - all the best.

• Red Heart

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
I hope so :)

I think the devs that engage here fall into two broad groups; the once that feel happy with their interactions with the community here, and stick around to contribute, and the ones that grow increasingly bitter and combatitive, burn out and end up on discord complaining that F95Zone is a toxic place.

True.....got no reactions sorry....
(y) (y)