What set/location are you sick of seeing?

Oct 8, 2019
Don't take this question too seriously. I just know that we all notice when the same places keep popping up and thought we could get a laugh.

For me, the answer is Haven Park. I get that it is popular but I have seen this location in at least two dozen different games. However, the best use of the set was in EDIT: Betrayed.

03-haven-park-daz3d.jpg

Oct 8, 2019
I instantly knew what the scene would be TBH but I am not actually sick of it as long as I get a good story and actual choices IDGAF about the location scenes. Character scenes are a different story of course.
I think you proved my point about it's use but you do have a point as well.

Reactions: bobdickgus

bobdickgus

Apr 9, 2020
I think you proved my point about it's use but you do have a point as well.
True but I would always prefer these set pieces and even the blank models to depict random people if it means more story and more actual character scenes. Most developers in these games are solo so economizing on the non essentials means you are more likely to get a lot more story content. It is what it is.

Papa Lewd

Game Developer
Oct 12, 2019
Schools and college settings. Ironically, the mc in my game is a college student, but VERY LITTLE of the game will ever take place on campus lol. A few dialogue scenes here and there, but the majority of it takes place elsewhere.

Reactions: Carpe Stultus

DingoDeer

New World Paradise
Uploader
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 19, 2018
Schools and college settings. Ironically, the mc in my game is a college student, but VERY LITTLE of the game will ever take place on campus lol. A few dialogue scenes here and there, but the majority of it takes place elsewhere.
This, I understand tho, since school & college have really interesting atmosphere, it almost no brainer if didn't use school as one of the settings...
depends how the design of the game I guess.

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
Don't know how prevalent it still is but that goddamn bathroom and shower that every game had a few years ago.
Think it was this .

Reactions: Asia Argento

Papa Lewd

Game Developer
Oct 12, 2019
This, I understand tho, since school & college have really interesting atmosphere, it almost no brainer if didn't use school as one of the settings...
depends how the design of the game I guess.
I totally agree. I guess the thing is, it can be a really interesting setting if used right, but I'm so burnt out on seeing the same scenes with the same generic themes every time. This is mostly because of how overused the high school setting is in Japanese VNs though. Schools can absolutely still be used in creative ways.

Jun 13, 2020
Fantasy setting with monsters and magics. The one with slimes, orcs, demon lord, goblin, especially ones with default RPGMaker assets. These ones always come with grindy gameplay which is like rubbing shooting salt into my flesh wound.

Reactions: blackoni
Oct 8, 2019
BTW heaven park is demanding on HW render as hell :)
You said I used it right? You mean for hobo's underbridge home? :D
EXACTLY! To my knowledge that is the only use of that set for something other than two characters sitting on the bench in one scene. But also holy shit are you Candyman? Speak the name and he is summoned haha.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
While it is a little irritating to see the same scene in more than one story, I think the problem has more to do with an issue surrounding it.
Take the park scene shown in the OP. You can find it in several games in more than one game it is used as the back drop or location for people to run. In an another game in one the individuals are harassed, another there is a person trying to get pictures and peep...

I think the issue is more about the authors lack of ability to be original and creative in their writing. Take running for example. If a person lives close to a park they might go running there. Most suburban areas don't have large parks real close by. You would need to drive to it then get out run get back in your car all sweaty and drive home then change... So most people run in their neighborhood. If the authors thought about that just a second they would realize the amount of content that alone can give.
Take a look at the number of registered sex offenders on a map in your local area. That doesn't even include all the creeps that live near you that haven't been arrested yet. It doesn't include all the other types of "interesting" characters a person can run into jogging or biking near where they live. If that doesn't do it I know a lot of people that use their lunch time to go for a run. Large companies especially tech companies can provide a plethora interesting content just based on the people that work there or near them.

Anyway so what happens is you keep getting bombarded with the same crap content you can find on a newstand shelf 20 times a day. Each time you see that same shit over again you associate it with that scene.

Blaming the scene is simply directing the blame away from the person that created the problem that being the author.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
EXACTLY! To my knowledge that is the only use of that set for something other than two characters sitting on the bench in one scene. But also holy shit are you Candyman? Speak the name and he is summoned haha.
Lol no I'm not. :)

Jash83

Jun 8, 2019
The one I'm sick of is that one bedroom with the white-painted brick wall with the double bed under it, the large cityscape vista windows on the left, and the short set of steps on the right leading down to the door. You know the one.

Oct 8, 2019
The one I'm sick of is that one bedroom with the white-painted brick wall with the double bed under it, the large cityscape vista windows on the left, and the short set of steps on the right leading down to the door. You know the one.
View attachment 00-main-cozy-bedroom-daz3d.webp

That one? It's the only one I could find that even had brick but I can only think of one game I have seen this in and that is "Making A Mark" formerly called "Life" by Fasder.

Jash83

Jun 8, 2019
View attachment 1042146

That one? It's the only one I could find that even had brick but I can only think of one game I have seen this in and that is "Making A Mark" formerly called "Life" by Fasder.
That's the one. I remember I first saw it in "I Love Daddy", but I've seen it in several other games (mostly forgettable ones) since then. I think it also appeared as Georgina's bedroom in "Dating My Daughter", although I'm not so sure about that.

Oct 8, 2019
That's the one. I remember I first saw it in "I Love Daddy", but I've seen it in several other games (mostly forgettable ones) since then. I think it also appeared as Georgina's bedroom in "Dating My Daughter", although I'm not so sure about that.
Wait, that's Georgina's room too? Are you sure? I'm not saying that you are wrong and it has been some time since I played chapter one of DMD to actually see her room, but I swear I remember something either red or pink and with wood floors. But if I am wrong then what the hell am I remembering??

Jash83

Jun 8, 2019
Wait, that's Georgina's room too? Are you sure? I'm not saying that you are wrong and it has been some time since I played chapter one of DMD to actually see her room, but I swear I remember something either red or pink and with wood floors. But if I am wrong then what the hell am I remembering??
Well... no, I'm not sure. Been a long time since I saw her room too. I just seem to remember that was it. Could be wrong. Might be thinking of some other girl's room.

Know I've seen it in even more games, though, just can't remember which ones, probably because they were pretty forgettable.